New trailer wheel bearings???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
I noticed today on my way home from a local lake that I smelled somthing that smelled like burning metal. I noticed on my dual axle boat trailer that the back axle, the one with brakes, had some smoke coming out of the grease fitting. A few minutes later, the other side popped out the grease plug housing and grease plopped out. The wheel cap that houses the grease fitting from where I saw the smoke was extremely hot to the touch. What does this mean? Bad bearing/s?

If it is a "new" trailer, I would definitly take it back to the dealer

Check to see that the brakes are not rubbing....:( I had that happen to me one time, the brakes on all four wheels were rubbing and when I got to the ramp the grease was just running....:angry:

They are not new. I was asking if it sounded like I needed new bearings.

Yes. Any time you heat the spindle(s) to that degree you should pull them and visually inspect axles, bearings, races, and seals and replace as needed. If it were me, I would just replace them and make sure to incorporate checking/pumping grease into your spindle zercs regularly before towing. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back