Anyone want a free adult dog?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
If you live in Virginia, or a close state and you would be willing to drive, I have a adult female mix-breed dog (Golden Lab / Rhodisian Ridgeback from what the vet tells us) - absolutely free.

She is four years old, in perfect health - latest yearly vet visit was last month, and all of her shots are up to date. Beautiful animal, very gentle and good with kids. My three year old loves her, but his allergies are part of the reason we are looking for a new home for her. She loves to fetch tennis balls, and will play catch with you for hours. House broken. Spoiled. :lol:

We have owned her since she was just a few months old, but due to my wifes / my work schedule, we have been unable to pay her the attention she so deserves, and we are leaving for work too early / getting home too late for her bathroom schedule. After a few "accidents" on the kitchen tile (not her fault - she can't hold it that long), compounded with my sons allergies, we have decided that it is time to find her a new home.

She comes with all items - Feeding bowl / Water bowl, leash, chest harness for walking her, brushes, nail clippers, etc...

Free - to a good, loving home. You must be able to pay her some attention. This is not a "feed and forget" dog - she's a very good dog who deserves attention.

OK.... I'm going to go wipe my eyes now. :( Anyone interested can contact me here, or email me at: [email protected]

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, Can you give me a "countdown" on this until you get rid of her? And what's her name?

I live a couple of miles from Annapolis, MD in Edgewater. If I find someone, will you deliver?

I've asked a couple of people already and will ask more until the last day. I already have three so I'm out. My neighbor is thinking about it but they aren't too reliable about thinks like this. They already have a Ridgeback too.

Now, is she a mixed Ridgeback and Golden Retriever or Yellow Labrador?

Short hair or long?

Does she like or get along with cats?

How is she with other dogs?

Does she like water?

Long hair or short?

How tall and how heavy is she?

Is the hair growing backwards on her spine?

Are you advertising locally? If you are please STOP!:angry: How do you know she will be going to a "good and loving" home unless you go for a visitation? One "game" played around the nation is for a respectable looking young couple, newly married who are looking for their first dog. A lot of time it's just a woman. What they do when they get the dog is take it back to their gang or Pitbull owner friend(s) to use as training bait.

If your boy didn't have allergies would you be getting rid of the dog? Did you just find out about them? They have all kinds of "Doggie Day Care" places around where she could stay during the day. There are also a LOT of dog walkers and just dog visitors who stop in to see you dog during the day.

Most of these questions Glenn are for me to answer someone who may want a dog and I won't have to keep e-mailing or calling you for the answers. Some of the questions are to find out why you are really getting rid of the dog? I've worked with and trained dogs for quite awhile and I have heard everything there is to say about people getting rid of dogs. It just doesn't add up that your boy now has allergies and your wife and you work longer hours?

Heck, you've had the dog for four years and the boy only three, get rid of him:lol::lol::lol:

I'll do what I can to help you out Glenn. Don't forget rescue organizations also. If it looks more like a Ridgeback they will help you and the same for a Labrador rescue if she looks like that.

I apologize if you think I was yelling or being critical of you. I really wasn't. I'd love to find a way you all can keep a family member with you but if you really can't I'd love to find a way to help you find a good home.

Ok, I'll start really pestering people tomorrow.

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy - I have a few kids you can have. They are housebroken and their hair doesn't run backwards (except when they get up in the morning - bad hair day). LOL :D:D:D

Uncle Billy,

There is no "countdown". We want to find her a new home, but will not put a timeline on it. When we find her a new home, that is when we stop looking.

Her name is "Lagniappe" (pronounced Lon-yop). It's a cajun slang word that means "a little something extra". When we first bought her, she had double dew claws, thus the "little something extra". The vet in Pensacola suggested that we have them removed, as they may have caused her problems in the future due to how they were growning. We did that at the same time we had her spayed.

Here are some answers to your questions. Thanks for asking, and thank you very much for telling others about her:

Now, is she a mixed Ridgeback and Golden Retriever or Yellow Labrador?

I'm fairly certain of the Golden Lab part. The vet tells me that she is part Rhodisian, but the ridge is not visable, so I am not very certain about that. I have looked up R/R's, and she does have a lot of their features, but to me, she looks more like a Lab than anything.

Short hair or long? Fairly short.

Does she like or get along with cats? I don't think she does. She chases them from our yard, as well as rabbits, squirrels, etc...

How is she with other dogs? As long as the dog is the same size or similar in size to her, she doesn't have any problems with them at all. She does not get along well with small dogs - particularly "weiner dogs" (can't think of their real name). She goes nuts, barking and growling at them. I don't know why. She's never bit another dog, or a human for that matter, but she goes nuts around little dogs. She gets along great with my in-laws labs, but they already have two, and don't want another one. She also gets along with all the labs, dalmations, etc... at the kennel when we have had to use that in the past.

Does she like water? She loves water. When we used to live at the beach in Florida, she regularly went swimming. She's jumped into my above ground pool once in Virginia, before we put up a fence around it. She jumps back and forth through the water sprinkler in the yard, biting at the water spray. Quite funny to watch.

Long hair or short? Short

How tall and how heavy is she? She weighs 86 lbs. 26" from the floor to her back.

Is the hair growing backwards on her spine? No. Like I said above, the hairline of the R/R is not visable - I'm simply going off of info from the vet.

If my boy didn't have allergies (and his allergies aren't like him breaking out or anything - he stays with the sniffles / stuffed up nose / etc... , and the doctor thinks it has to do with pet dander), we would still be finding her a new home. My wife informed me that my math is wrong. I was thinking we got her the last year we were in Pensacola, but we got her the second year we were there, and she was a puppy when we got her. So she is a bit over 5 years old, not 4 as originally stated. We already pay day care for our son, and we do not want to pay "day care" for the dog as well. I don't trust anyone I don't know to come to our house during the day to let her out, and my friends are mostly military that work the same hours that I do.

And since the math isn't adding up for you :p , I'll explain a bit.

When I was in Florida, I was on shore duty - I went in to work at 8am (15-20 minute drive), and if I wanted to come home for lunch, I did. In fact, that was something I did often. I also got off most days by 2 or 3pm at the latest, although on days that I worked much later, I would come home at lunch to let her out. My wife was a "on the road" insurance adjuster, who worked for a catastrophy agency for those two years, so she was gone most of the time anyway. I would get home, and most every day, I would play catch with her in the back yard for quite a while. My son was not born yet.

We moved to Virginia, and immediately upon arriving here,

Back