Anyone know anything about San Antonio TX???

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Looks like there might be a VERY GOOD chance that I'll be retiring a year earlier than expected, and will probably be moving to San Antonio TX next year. I'll find out next Friday if and when we will be moving - pending my wife's second job interview (they are flying her down to TX for the interview).

Any word on the fishing? Deer hunting? Housing?

I have been told by many to prepare myself for much less "greenery" in TX, as compared to VA.

I've also been told that Lake Amistad is nearby, and that it's one of the hotest fishing spots around.

So... anyone know anything about San Antonio that they can tell me about? I'd greatly appreciate it.

All the best,

Glenn

From what little I know, you are "close" to a lot of good fishing. The only green from San Antonio that I remember (and that is a limited memory from spending a lot of time on the riverwalk) is the water!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Yes, it's hot there. On the outskirts of hill country.

Great hunting in this part of the state. Deer, birds, etc. Amistad is not that close to SA, but not that far either. One thing to remember, 'down the road' in Texas may be 100 miles away. You gotta think big here.

I really like the SA area. Canyon lake is 'commuting distance' away.

SA has more great Mexican food that you can fathom. Spurs are there, and you will likely get good coverage of both the Cowboys and Texans; Rangers and Astros. College sports abound.

Almost move to SA area about 3 years ago, but my deal fell through. Lot's of retired Military in the area, and of course our neighbors from across the border. Good medical care in the area also.

As Bob Barker said, 'Come on down'!

Tex

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. I appreciate it.

Tex - there isn't a body of water that I currently fish that doesn't take an hour to get to. Most of my favorites are 2-3 hours away (each way), so I don't mind driving a bit. I'm more of a whitetail deer hunter, although I used to hunt duck when I was in Louisiana (0-18). I will be retired military also, so I should fit in. I love Mexican food.... I can "fathom" quite a bit. :lol: Not really into sports, other than outdoor sports (hunting, fishing, etc...). Thanks for all the info. I greatly appreciate it.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

If you are retired military, given everything else that you have said, you will fit in real well. Fork would be in reach for a long weekend for you (probably about 4 - 4 1/2 hours). Of course there is also Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend in deep e. Texas. If you like costal fishing, some great saltwater action not too far away either.

Tex

Glenn,

San Antonio is not too bad. Check out Texas Fishing Forum for some ideas on where to fish. The guy I was working for went to Amistad from Houston often. They tore them up earlier this year. I am planning on making a trip next spring. Good luck with the retirement and possible move. My Dad is retired Air Force, and oh by the way, thanks for serving!

Ed

I fly in/out of there as I have one of my factories just south in Three Rivers, TX. It's HOT. You do have Choke Canyon resv. down near Three Rivers and it is one of top big bass lakes in that area. Lot's of water with NO trees to hang up in! Plenty of deer hunting if you get hooked up on a lease.

San Antonio is a nice place with a lot of things to do including fishing. Choke Canyon is a great lake and has been really producing some big fish. I know 2 guys that caught fish over 10lbs this year down there. Falcon and Amistad are great lakes plus there are a lot more in the area. You're also close to the coast for aome great saltwater fishing. The summers are hotter than Hades but the good thing is the winter is mild so you can fish year round. I live in Round Rock so if you come down give me a holler and we can fish.

Glenn,

I don't know a thing about Texas, but congrats on your upcoming retirement! Welcome to the old squids club! :)

WW

USN(Ret '92)

Bass Fishing...

Choke Canyon, Amistad, Falcon, plus numerous others...

All take a minimum of 5 that weigh 30 to win a tournament any time of the year.

You're also a short trip to the coast.

Pick the right part of town to live it, you'll like it fine.

5 that weigh 30??? OH MAN! I SO VERY MUCH WANT TO MOVE THERE NOW!!!

My largest fish to this date is 8lbs 13oz, caught in a little pond.

It was my one and only at that weight. Other than that one, I've caught very few 6's and 5's, and then it goes downhill fast from there. Most of the time, I'm used to a 5 fish sack weighing somewhere around 10-12 pounds. To catch 5 six pounders in one day... wow. I'm praying she gets this job!

Thanks to everyone who posted!

All the best,

Glenn

They have a very cool BPS store there!!...and a good buddy of mine is a morning radio DJ there..(atleast he use to be,....he left here for S.A. TX)

I didn't know they had a BPS there. Cool! I'll have to check it out. 3 more days until we find out if she has the job or not (at least we are hoping they tell her on Friday)

All the best,

Glenn

look at these results from a tourney on Choke. 5 fish for 45lbs. If you are in San Antonio there is no need to drive further when Choke is a little over an hour away.

http://www.basschamps.com/basschamps/results.cfm?tournament_id=38&type=team&yearSelected=2007

Back