Another Prop Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bressler

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Nitro Fish and Ski with the 115 Tracker motor.

I am looking to get better performance out of the hole for pulling skiiers. What do you guys suggest?

There is no better prop for your "requested use" than the Mercury Hi-Five. Five blades, stainless steel, tremendous stern lift and out-of-the hole performance. This is the prop of choice for tournament ski boats. If your 115 is the 2-stroke, be sure to prop NO MORE than 5250 RPM'S. That series of motor develops a harmonic imbalance at "higher-than-that" rpm's that could lead to crankshaft failure. If you are running a merc prop now, the stainless prop would be a pitch-for-pitch application. ;)

So you are saying stay with the same pitch and just go to five blades? I was told a different pitch might be in order. (I have the stock stainless blade, though I can't recall offhand what the pitch is.)

Thanks Bob

Yes, staying with the same pitch is correct IF...you are turning the correct WOT RPM.....do you know what that is?

Calculating WOT rpm is VERY difficult. You can get theoretical rpm, but the slip factor can vary. Typically, most high performance applications will run anywhere from 8 to 15 percent. Without an accurate tach and speedo, you would be guessing at best......GET A TACH. It is important on that motor!!!!!:blink:

Bob - Would a hydrofoil accomplish what I am looking for? My boat is very slow to get to plane.

A hydro-foil may help to get you on plane. It is not a substitute for the "hi-five" however.....;)

Back