Another Fishfinder Question

• Thread starter Rick Martin Trackerman
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Martin Trackerman

Reaction score
I bought a Humminbird 798ci SI unit to replace the Lowrance X50 that came with my boat. My plans were to mount the 798 on the console in place of the X50 and move the X50 up to the bow. Well, I got to thinking(dangerous situation)and since I'm going to have to run cables anyway, why not go with a better unit up front. I'm thinking along the lines of a 788. What do y'all think?

Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to these things, I have a few questions.

1) Should I link the units together? What are the benefits?

2) If the two are linked together, do I need to run a seperate transducer on the bow unit such as a TM mount?

3) Should I consider a different type of mount than what comes with the unit for the bow mount?

4) Anything else I haven't thought of or considered that y'all have learned from experience in doing this type of install?

:unsure:

Thanks in advance for your input.

There is certainly a case for wanting the SI unit on the bow. Try this for decision making.

If you like to 'drive' the boat around and look for structure before choosing a place to fish, then put it on the console. Alternately, if you rather more enjoy getting to an area and then using the trolling motor to find where to place your boat, then put it on the bow.

Personally, I like mine on the console.

Tex

Trackerman,

1) If you used an InterLink to link the two units together the benefit would be in the automatic transfer of waypoints from one unit to another. Some accessories that you may add in the future could also be shared (like the GPS Receivers that will come with each unit).

2) I would run a separate transducer (these cannot be shared through the InterLink) as you would want a trolling motor transducer to know what is under the bow of the boat where you are fishing

Thats the combo i have. I have a 798si at the console and a 788c on the bow and it works pretty well. I also have the interlink and its a really slick system. Come spring i plan to add the XM weather module.

I dont think i would put an SI on the bow just because of the speed you need be going at to get a good reading. its faster then the trolling motor can pull the boat. Ive tried yanking mine around with the tm on high and recording the session and i get much cleaner results under gas engine power.

Jim,

What transducer are you running on the bow?

I really appreciate all this info from everyone.

Greg,

What do I have to do to take advantage of the transducer exchange program? I already own the 798 but have not installed it yet and have not bought the 788 yet.

Rick

I have a Minnkota Maxxum Pro with the Universal Sonar 2 system built in. Thats the transducer im using. Its believe a dual beam one, Greg would now for sure.

Latest posts

Back