Anchor question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Becker

Reaction score
I was wondering where you all store your anchor. I have a 700 LX and can not find a place I am happy with. Normally I do not carry one but am going to NY next week and am told it is required.

On both my Nitro 180 and 2000DC I stored the anchors under the passenger seat. I always had two anchors on board; I used them when river fishing for catfish. 15 and 13#; the mushroom type with three flutes.

Staci - How did you use them when you did? Did you just tie them off at the cleats?

I keep my anchor in the front storage bin on my boat....I have an xpress so I am sure the layout is different on your 700. But I have a box right behind the front pedestal seat that I store all the life jackets rain gear and anchor and ropes in.

And Trep I just tie the anchor off to the cleats...

Yes.

On my first boat, I had installed one of the hand-crank AnchorMates on the bow but found it was more of a pia to operate than it was worth.....

Then one day, while cruising down the river, apparently I didn't properly lock the mechanism..... The anchor was one of the full-round mushroom type and would catch water and come flying from behind and almost hit me..... I heard the noise as it plunked into the water a couple of times before I realized what was happening.....

From then on, I just got some of the plastic, H-shaped line storage reels, put 50' of cord on that and pulled everything in by hand. MUCH easier!

I keep mine right on deck at the bow. I keep the rope wrapped around one of those H things for extension cords.

Rich D

I seldom use it but I do keep one under the passenger seat.

Harpo

On my 170 DC, which is abut the same as the 700, I keep it under the passenger side of the seat.

Yes they do smash things, do nto put them in the aft buckets and let them bang around, they will poke the flukes through the plastic.

Carlos

Harpo, I am surprised you actually keep an anchor on board. wouldn't the space be far more useful to keep several extra props on hand, considering your jagged past (pardon the pun)? LOL

-Carl Meyer

I have an electric anchor and LOVE IT! I use an 18 lb. anchor and keep it stored in my rod locker(with rope attached). Especially handy when your by yourself:)I bought it used off a guy for $60 still in the original box...what a deal:)

USCG Requires an anchor and specific lengths of rope depending on the depths you are fishing. Leastwise here in VA.

TOXIC

Carl, you're right I do need the space for an extra prop. Would you believe I still don't have a spare. The little ol' anchor I have works better as a wind sock than an anchor.

Harpo

I also have an electric anchor...originally had one on the first boat I had (sold the old boat yesterday). It originally had the anchormate, which I had to reach way up near the front of the boat (where my wife was)...a real pain. Got the electric anchor winch and loved it.

Mounted one on my 16' Tracker and still love it. We do a lot of live bait fishing, anchored in one spot. Anchor stays attached and under my wife's seat up front.

Latest posts

Back