advise on a bowmount trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFF WHITE

Reaction score
going to have to replaqce my old(7yr) motorguide.any recomendations?12-24v prefered,52"shaft.

I've been using the MotorGuide "Tour Edition" 24vlt 76lb thrust on my boat and it's been awesome.

Haven't had any problems with it and this is the 3rd year of use.....I also have another one as a spare.

a lot of guys had problems with the 109lbr's, but I don't need that much power,....my 76lbr has been flawless....i love it!

Mac.

Luv my motor guide. Have the 12/24 v 67 lb with a 50" shaft and a BIG wator Gator, which is important up here. Used Mickey Kota yesterday. They ARE quiter, but the cable driven version's foot pedals, GAAAAAAALLY, suuuun, WAY to tall. Have to have your leg cocked up to the hip to stay on it all day. They need to lower the profile just a tad! Guys, the rain here this week was SO bad, that the Chazy river was running trees out! The 74 lb kota on HI barely held it's own! Now that's some rain!

Can't even mow, it's been too wet! Will be a jungle by tonight! LOL

Hey Rob...

The weather channel actually posted the "24 hr rain" for Plattsburgh...it was like 3+inches...

Jeff,

I'm watching this pretty close... Obviously I have the same 12v on the bow and it's getting "loose" and clunky! The shaft is too short in 2+ rollers and its only like 50lbs... Just don't know... I've had a MK |Power Drive on my small boat for 10+ years... Replaced (under warranty) the drive motor for the head 30-40 days after I bought it...After that, nothing except maintenance...(rubber mounts) and clean the contacts...

And, the MG has been on the boat since '93...so...Don't use my experiences as any indication opf one better than the other... I've got an OMC hand control that's about 15 yrs old and the rear TM on my small boat is a "vintage" Shakespeare!!!!

the 12-24v i have was giving out slowly.i guess the hard fishing i did this past weekend did it in for good.ive been hearing bad things about the motorguides,the minnkoda is looking better and better.i was thinking of getting a transom mounted motor,but the transducer is right in the way,all it would be seeing is the motor.

stopped at gander mountain to take a look at the minnkodas.not bad.there running a sale on a lot of things.bought some j-plugs for salmon,3 for $7,there normally $6 each.a lot of other things on sale.

greg,i got the 50"shaft on mine now,with it almost down all the way in the mount,that is the head unit,it doesnt come out of the water in 2ft rollers.its been a good motor,never put a cable into it.worked great till last fall,then this year did it in.

when i get the new one,ill be selling the old one for parts.the pedal,slightly modified with a constant on switch,shaft,motor,cables,all but the mount,thats a little busted,the plastic is,everything else is there,ill even throw in the whats left of the jack nuts!!!

Well, if you use a Bow Mount as much as I do Its probablly the most important part of the boat. I would consider the Minn Kota Genesis... Its Pricey, but well worth it.. I have a 74 AP with Universal Sonar. It comes standard with a Quick Release Mount ($40-80 on others). As a multispecies fisherman I now have the ability to have Cable Quick Steering, Autopilot, and the ability to operate it from the front or back of the boat. Its bonus features of power stow and deploy and trim control I consider extras but have already helped me in shallow rocky areas.. The lighted direction arrow is great at night and the built in real time battery gauge works awesome. Itwas h esitant at first with all this high tech stuff, but so far its been flawless and makes a great tool in my fishing arsenal.

i seen one in cabellas online catalog,its a tournament series 60 powerdrive minnkoda 24v,60 lbs thrust.all for $45 shipping included.also found what looked like an autopilot,12v,50lbs thrust,not sure on shaft length for $460 at a local marind,it was out of the box,on the shelf,so not sure on that one.i seen a few here locally,but not what i wanted,it seems everyone here doest use bow mounts,there is an unlimited amount of transom mounts,bow mounts are scarce.oh well,sun is shining,going to clean boat out and use it at least once this weekend!!!this bloody rain is killing me!!!

Back