Adding trailer brakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I brought up this topic a few months ago but never got around to adding them. I called 4 different places in Nashville yesterday and asked about adding surge brakes to my trailer. The boat dealers definitely wanted nothing to do with it. The Tracker Service center acted like they had never had such a request. I was kind of surprised that it was such a big deal. Based on your earlier post, it was a fairly simple just for someone who is mechanically inclined.

One of the dealers gave me the number of a trailer place in town. I called and he was very nice and knowledgable and seemed like it's not that big of a deal to do. However the prices were much higher than I expected. $1400 to add surge brakes to my trailer and $900 to add electric brakes. He said surge brakes were better and you don't have to do anything with the car.

Are those prices high? I think he said the surge kit was like $1000. I could get someone mechanical to do this for me I think but I have no idea what to buy. The kit I found on line was $900 and I don't know what to buy to fit my Nitro 750nx trailer.

Thoughts or advice?

Go to the link I've provided and look around. For your trailer, I don't think you need to spend a $1000. They discuss electric and hydraulic and you can read the tech "how to" article as well. When looking at the catalog, the hydraulic brakes are found under the "drum" category.
http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html

Adding brakes isnt that hard, a good auto mechanic should be able to do it for you.

I have been pricing kits for disc surge brakes for about $400. I have to re-do mine this year and I am switching from drum to disc. Not much different than add new.

You have to make sure that your trailer has a plate on the axle. Should be a square piece of metal with 4 holes in it. I think its 6" x 6" x .25" thick.

If you dont have that plate, the install can get more exspensive as it will have to be added or a new axle used.

Good luck!

Can someone post a link to a surge brake "kit" that would work with my Nitro NX750 trailer?

A member of our club did this last Spring at a trailer repair facility (RV) and it was less than $1000... Call around... Unless they have to replace the axle it should be about that price.

Terri, I pull my 750 with a Chevy Trailblazer, and I just don't have any trouble stopping this light of a rig at all. I'm just wondering if this is worth all of the effort. If you're having trouble stopping, it may be worth looking at the brakes on your tow vehicle.

With gas prices the way they are, I will be pulling my boat with a vehicle rated for towing 3500lbs (*with trailer brakes, as suv manual states). I haven't towed my boat with this vehicle yet so I don't know how it will go without brakes. Normally, I don't tow my boat very far. Less than 5 miles to alot of ramps. However, I do go to Indiana at least once a month with the boat and this summer I would like to visit more lakes in TN. Thoughts?

I bet you will be just fine, the 750 is no where near 3500 lbs, I think the boat and motor are around 1380 plus trailer. Before I shelled out that kind of money I'd be testing it out. You will know pretty quickly if you need them.

Yes, you could actually take the rig over to some certified scales and for a few bucks weigh the darn thing.

Might even give Tommie Mason a call at BPS Service in Hendersonville, she should know exact weight without gear. 615-264-6318.

Teri

You should be able to get some mechanical types to help your just by lighting them up with your smile. Turn on the magic and get those brakes installed.

fatrap:D

From what i see on the nitro site the package weight is ~2350. Keep in mind thats no gear and dry( meaning no fuel oil etc)and with the 90hp motor. I would think depending on the suv they are going to suggest brakes on any traler over 1000#.

Tat being said $1400 sounds like a ot of money to install brakes. Ive priced them for a friends trailer and the parts cost about half that for a good vented disk package. I wouldnt think it would cost almost a grand to install them. Too bad you dont live near New England, id do them for you.

I don't know, $1400 sounds about right to me. Think about it. Once you actually get the brakes on the axles, there is still a bunch more work to do. You have to run the hydraulic lines, cut off the tongue and install a surge coupler, add a hydraulic resevoir, install the electronic cut-off controller that lets you back-up. It sounds like a huge job to me. I'd be looking at electric brakes. That would not be much labor other than installing the brakes and running wires. Personally, I don't think that boat really needs brakes unless you are traveling in really hilly country or are already having trouble braking. Give it a try first.

NoCAL

The coupler (actuator) has the resivior built inside it (along with a master cylinder) and the reverse cut-off is a simple install.

The hardest part looks to be drilling the holes for the actuator (as long as the plates for the brakes are on the axle).

Yep Mini that sounds about right. I did them for a friend a few years back and i think the job took like maybe 4-5 hours total and that was working slow and breaking for beer/lunch/bs time during the install.

I suppose I will try to pull the boat first before I add the brakes to the trailer. It (BMW X3) pulled a jetskit back from Atlanta just fine. Didn't even know anything was back there but that only weighs about 1200lbs, ski and trailer.

Oh by the way, I took care of my "new" car itch with the X3. Went from 12mpg on the highway to 25mpg. It's been a really nice change and I bought it really cheap!

Latest posts

Back