BOAT TRAILER BUNK BOARDS IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hommy

Reaction score
5 minutes ago
Hello. We are new to boat ownership and have a possibly silly question. We have frayed bunk fabric and lots of exposed wood that rubs the boat when loading on the trailer. How do you work on rotted bunk boards and/or rotted fabric covering? Do you take the boat to the lake and have someone in it 1/2 day while someone else drives trailer home to work on boards? Where do you buy the fabric for the boards? (I have seen listings at different sites, but am hoping someone has a source of great fabric at a good price.) Is this something that is ridiculous to ask a boat repair shop to do? I am handy with a staple gun and fabric, but not so handy on levitating the boat.

I changed mine in my garage.
Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and put it under one of the chines. Then you can jack it up far enough to swap out the bunker. Have the new one ready to go in.
When you let it down, your boat will be off center but it will straighten out when you jack up the other side.
If you cut a 4x4 on a bevel, it will be flat on the bottom when you jack it up.

I took my boat to a local lake, launched it and tied it up to the dock out of the way and where I could keep an eye on it.

I had already fabricated and upholstered the new bunks so all I had to do in the lake parking lot was remove the old bunks and install the new ones. I was only there about 30 min, loaded up the boat, threw the old bunks in the back of my truck and headed home. It was actually the easiest thing I’ve done so far on my boat.

I went with Gatorbak bunk covers with pressure treated boards. Assembled them at home. Went to the ramp and put the boat in the water while I removed the old, carpeted bunks and put in the new Gatorbaks.

I'll add that I bought a replacement set of bunks through Amazon, 4 years ago, that are doing fine. They were treated wood with a rubber pad on top then wrapped with carpet. These have been super so far. I replaced mine like my other brother Larry, above, described. I can also add that new trailer bunks have a very short life since they use the cheapest wood possible and, I'm told, it's not legal for a manufacuter to use treated lumber on boat trailers...

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Carpe...5&sprefix=boat+trailer+bunks,aps,1011&sr=8-13

I changed mine in my garage.
Take a 2x4 or 2x6 and put it under one of the chines. Then you can jack it up far enough to swap out the bunker. Have the new one ready to go in.
When you let it down, your boat will be off center but it will straighten out when you jack up the other side.
If you cut a 4x4 on a bevel, it will be flat on the bottom when you jack it up.
Be VERY careful lifting a boat like this. The fiberglass could crack, the jack could slip running it thru the hull etc... Very risky and unsafe!!

Latest posts

Back