ACL Surgery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Walls

Reaction score
My 17 year old son is going in for ACL surgery tomorrow and wondering if anyone here has any stories, thoughts or experiences with this. I played sports all the way through college and never had this kind of problem. He is an exceptional athlete and will most likely, from all dr's accounts, will miss his senior season of football and some of basketball. He is one of the states leading receivers and loves football. At 6'5" he is a huge target with great hands. He will be able to play basketball some but as a pont gueard may have to change his role and should be 100% by baseball, in which he is the No. 1 pitcher on a annually state ranked team. I do not know if this is killing me or him worse. He has heard that two months is the best and nine months the worst case senarios for recovery and release to play sports. Good news (most encouraging) is that two colleges have already contacted him and still want him to play football and one even wants him to play baseball also. That was the first smile on his face in two weeks.

By the way I took him fishing yesterday and he caught three keepers for over ten pounds. Largest going a little under five. Second smile on his face in two weeks. I would post pictures but the cell phone didn't save the pictures. I am sure it was my fault but the memories are there forever!

Sorry this is so long, I feel better now!

Thanks!

Randy - ACL (and knee surgery in general) has come a long long way in the past 20, even 10 years. Most surgeries are now down arthroscopically (i.e., through a very small incision). This reduces trauma to the surgical site and speeds healing time. The key is for your son to take the time necessary to heal. A successful surgery can be totally botched by an overeager patient who doesn't allow adequate healing time before putting full force back onto the knee. Good luck to both of you!

Jim C is right on the button. Proper recuperation is job 1.

Ya, don't rush it.. I know a lot of people that had this done successfully... But, I would urge him to be realistic. I've never heard/seen people coming back after only 2 months, but it depends on the severity of the injury. Good luck

The best thing about your son, is that he is very young and will heal better and faster, but like the others said, Make sure not to rush the recovery...

Mike

Randy I am a nerve conduction tech and I would suggest an IOM person to assist the Dr during surgery. An IOM (Intra Operative Monitering) tech would keep and eye on all the nerves in your sons legs as well as some other things. Basically is give the patient some insurance there will be no or very little nerve damage after surgery(very little meaning if there is some already done). Since surgery is already scheduled I dont think you have time to make such a request. However the surgical standard is moving toward IOM, so you may have Dr that is already on board. Also this will keep a Dr's malpractice law suits at a minimum. Ask your Dr. and maybe you could speak to the Tech if their is one, they could tell you some additional info.

Also I have always heard that cadaver ligaments always heal faster.

Hope this helps. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Donnie

Thanks everyone. The doctor doing the surgery is the Notre Dame team orthopedic surgeon and was the third to look at him before any decision was made. Believe me when I say Mike will do the recovery part and let it heal before trying to play. He will have rehab the same day. Now that sounds quick to me too but I had my left knee totally replaced three years ago and was able to walk out of the hospital the day after surgery with only crutches and no crutches in three days. I was walking stairs eight hours after surgey as part of my recovery. It has been great for me, or at least as great as a knee replacement can be. Actually helped my fishing by making me slow down some!

This is going to be a patellar graft and will be done by scope. In by 7:00am and home a little after noon or so they say.

Thanks to everyone again for the info and thoughts!

Randy, 9 years ago I had complete reconstructive surgery and all 6 of my ligaments were trashed, I blew out my ACL and turned the other 5 ligaments into spaghetti. I surgen was wonderful. After spending 6 months in PT prior to the surgery he assured me that I would have full range of motion after the surgery which I do. My recovery took 4 years but that was due to me. I now have a tendon replacing the ACL which is pinned with gel screws and my knee cap stays on but no sports. No motorcycles no softball or anything that could stress my knee.

It sounds like your son has his youth and the best looking out for him and his future, good luck and do everything he is told to by his surgen and PT all other advise is nice but the experts are the ones that know whats best for him.

Cass :D

Guys the surgery went great. The surgeon says that there was no other problems and that his knee looked great other than the ACL. He is expecting a 4 to month recoup to full status. Should be no problems after that!

Thanks to everyone!

Latest posts

Back