Access to Fuel Level Sending Unit *!%$&@!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
How the hell are you supposed to access (clean contacts, check voltage, replace) the fuel level sending unit on a 99 Nitro 185 Sport? There is only ~2" vertical clearance between the top of the fuel tank the the rear deck. I can BARELY reach the contacts with the tips of my fingers while squeezing my hand / arm between the tank and deck to the point it hurts. It's at least 12" away from the closest access panel in the back.

Felt around for an access panel of some sory, but no luck.

If the FLSU is a solid rod, I think it is literally impossible to replace... :blink:

School me please. I can post pics if it helps.. Not having a working fuel level gauge sucks.

I don't know the layout on your boat Ed but when I had a Nitro 170DC I had to detach the strap that held the gas tank and pull the gas tank to put in a new sending unit. That is after I removed all three batteries and racks and unhooked the gas fill pipe scraped my knuckles free of skin and exhausted my sailor vocabulary then the screws holding the straps stripped out and had to be glassed in. Wonderful experience.:angry:

fatrap

I replaced the fuel hose from the tank to the motor last year and could barely get my hand under the deck to get the old hose off and the new one on. Fatrap's idea would be worth a try. All batteries, oil tank and onboard charger would need to be removed. Ya might want to save a lot of hassle and leave as is and do a visual at the tank.

If you need to check the voltage I have used pieces from a coat hanger to extend the length of my testing prongs. I cut 2 pieces from the hanger about 12 inches long and used electrical tape to attach them to the negative and positive leads. Maybe that will help you reach the contacts with more ease?

Mike

Thanks for the input guys.

Mike, I improvised on your idea and used 2 metal skewers from the kitchen instead of clothes hangers to check the voltage (don't tell the wife). The FLSU is reading 140 ohms at 3/4 tank. The gauge reads dead empty. I'll do some research to see if that is normal.

Bob, Unfortunately the unit is not diretly below the seat pedestal base. My luck.

Inspected the job a little more. IF the FLSU is bad, I'd have to remove the livewell to gain access to the tank. It looks like the livewell is glassed-in. It is not just bolted / strapped in as I hoped.

IF I tackle this, I think the best option is to pull the carpet on that part of the rear deck, cut a round access hole in the deck to access the FLSU, replace, and then patch / recarpet. Not something I intend to attempt anytime soon. Let's hope it's just the gauge! :cool:

Latest posts

Back