A reminder for those that pour your own lures!

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Heavy Metal Poisoning actually happens... always work in a ventilated area!

Ok guys and gals... I'm an experienced "knucklehead". Gave myself the title just this afternoon.

I know better than to do what I did today. I pour lead quite often. I know the dangers. I know to work in a well ventilated area, I know to take breaks often, always wash my hands before drinking, eating or using the restroom after working with lead, wear my personal protective equipment, etc...

But I got "on a roll" today, and started pouring lead spinnerbaits for the upcoming fishing season. Finished up with a few dozen 1/4 oz heads and started on some 3/8 oz heads, simply because "I was already set up". Finished the 3/8 oz heads and rolled right into jig heads, then swimming jig heads, etc...

By the time the migraine set in, it was too late. I realized as my head started pounding that I had been in the garage for several hours, and when I looked up I saw that only the back door was open - the front door was completely closed and had been for quite some time. It was then that I realized how thick the lead dust was on my fingertips. I pulled the plug on the lead pot and headed indoors to clean up. After a complete hand washing, I removed the contaminated clothing and set it aside in the garage and headed for the bathroom to finish cleaning up. My head continued to pound. Hot water soaks, 2 Excedrine Migraine caps, one Robaxin Muscle Relaxer and tons of water and the headache just kept laughing at me. I laid down for a while and it has gotten better, but I feel like crap this evening, so I used my Toxinout meds. It's getting there... but not quite yet.

I'm setting up a checksheet and timer in the garage for the next time I pour. I will follow the checksheet for ventilation and PPE, and then set the timer prior to beginning to pour. When it goes off... I'm outta there!

Remember everyone - wear your PPE and stay in well ventilated areas - whether you are pouring lead, using paints, etc...

All the best,

Glenn

I'm glad I don't pour lead anymore. When I was much younger however, I poured lead for sinkers to sell all day long and used to laugh at how much silver (lead) had accumulated on my hands. I don't remember getting sick from it but it had to have an affect that we had never heard of yet back then. Like paint chips, we just didn't know.

Thanks for posting this Glenn just in case others need to be informed of the danger. I hope they remember reading this and then take caution..

Uncle Billy

I use to pour lead to make bullets. I never got sick from it either, however a great deal of lead must have settled in my ass. I sure am lazy. Be careful.

Bubby:D:D:eek::D

I have never been sick from it either and I pour close to 1000 jigs a year (sometimes more). of course I do it outside in the open on my front porch.

Different things effect different people differently. glad your on the mend Glenn...

Try Zinc poisioning. Got mine from a ship fire with burning galvanized pipes in the armory. I thought I was gonna die.

fatrap

I started my tackle biz on a unique jig. Was pouring and painting 100+ every night from Dec to May, and plenty the rest of the year, in a well ventilated area. Even made a special ventilated booth to do it in. After a while, puking every morning was a common occurence. Thought it was the paint for a while. Switched to a solvent-free paint system and still the same. Finally dumped the jig biz for much "greener" pastures in the custom crankbait biz and suddenly all those symptoms were gone. Lead is NASTY stuff. Even the residual vapors and handling you can't avoid!

Never has a 'lead' incident, but have experienced 'exhaust fume poisining' in the middle of the Sahara Desert one time. Crapped out for about 10 minutes, and then had a splitting headache the balance of the day.

Learned my lesson from that. If I even faintly detect any type of exhaust gas, I immediately check. Nasty stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the lead.

Tex

Latest posts

Back