A New Man in My Life

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I figured that title might attract attention but it's not what you think. I am fired up today so I thought I would share. At 1:00pm I am going to meet the "special needs" boy I have committed to spending some time with. His family has given him up to one of the homes here and he is in need of someone's time. I work alot with the Special Olympics and the lady that runs it asked if I would take on this little guy. She said all he wants to do is be outside and go camping and hiking so we should get along just fine. Of course, fishing will become part of him if I have anything to do with it. We also have our first state track meet tomorrow so I am really excited to see all the kids and adults get their chance to shine. It does take away from fishing time but it is very rewarding. Just thought I would share my excitement.

You have the chance to change that boys life forever, not to mention ruining him by teaching him to fish!

Teri,

That is great! What a wonderful way to spend your time!

Rich D

Good for you. It is always nice to give something back. I have two days booked with taking "at risk" kids fishing through an after school program and I donate a trip at my daughters grade school auction every year.

As far as "special needs" I take Carlos out once in a while..........duck and run....duck and run.......LOL

TOXIC

HEy now!!!!!

Good job Teri, very worthwhile for the kids to be able to just get out for a bit!!!!

Carlos

PS Tox, just you wait until the river trip buddy :) Long walk back from the MARYLAND side :)

Atta GIRL!!! The world needs a whole lot more like TERI !!!

TEE

Great deal. Worked with some Austic children for 3-4 years in Dallas, in the early 90's. Very rewarding experience.

Tex

Teri,

That is great that you spend the time with special needs kids. You ROCK!!

Bob G.

Teri,

Good for you. I have helped with Special Olympics Fishing Rodeos in the past, and I can tell you you'll get alot more out of it, than you give.

Teri, you are now one of my official heros as well! I have volunteered my services to a few children's organizations, there is nothing more rewarding. And take him fishing! Then you don't lose time on the water and can turn him on to a whole new way of life. Who knows, he might surprise you.

You continue to impress me. I don't know what this person's special needs are, but here's a plan I have for my daughter. I plan to tie her lifejacket to the boat (with plenty of room for her to move around. Actually, I want to get one of those AWFUL child leashes and keep her in that and keep her tethered to the boat. Once she figures out how to get the lifejacket off, or if she should manage to lose it, I don't know that I could find her (she's 9 months old) if she went under.

This is just a suggestion. I worked with Special Olymics in high school and had a blast. I didn't win any prizes though :).

With a fish&ski, you probably won't have the same concerns I have with a baby crawling off the casting deck of my bass boat.

You guys are a trip! I think it is super neat you get that excited about your kids. Some days I wish I could have one and other days I am thankful that I don't. I guess I felt a little bit of that excitement today and now I am looking forward to next week.

I met him and he seems like a super kid that just needs someone to care. I was a little worried at first about how functional he would be and after meeting him I have no concerns. I think he is as fired up as I am. His name is Ryan and he is 13 soon to be 14. No physical disabilities. I have to visit him on campus for 3 months and they have to do a home inspection with me and then I can take him whenever I want as long as he isn't in school. So in August, I plan to make that boy a "fisherman". When he grows up and pulls in a lunker, he can tell everyone that some old lady taught him everything he knows about fishin'.

Teri,

Awesome deal!!! Sounds cool. My son is 13 and you will have your hands full!!! Great age in that they are looking to see what an adult does and can also act like a young son and get down and play. Teri, have fun and I am sure both of you will enjoy!!

carlos

You'll love it Teri, I know I get a tremendous amount of enjoyment working with kids. I'm lined up to teach about a hundred of them in June for Cornell Cooperatives SEREP program at the local boy scout camp.

Teri,

In the boat, fishing, almost all kids are about "even" so your main concerns will be safety and snacks... The fishing will take care of itself... Just target fast action someplace with lots of sunfish or perch... One thing that I did with each kid was to get them their "own" life jacket, bike helmet, etc as early as possible... So that they knew the "rules" of safety were an integral part of the fun. Before his first outing why not get him his own lifejacket as a "present" and explain its need to be on at all times in the boat. That way he won't know any different and that ;ife jacket wil be a part of his memory of taht first boat ride... hat with a bill and sunscreen also... snacks and water!!!!

You are gouing to have a blast... I absolutely love how kids love to fish...

Oh, and if you can, get a 5-6" pistol grip rod and a Johnson Century reel spolled with 8lb XL to start with... A local guide friend swears that that is the best kid setup... Johnson doesn't tangle line and 5 1/2 ft is about all a kid can keep track of but still lets them fish effectively.. He uses that rig for everything with kids and then graduates them to spinning gear... He says that when he is fishing with kids he uses the same rig and does well... just my 2 cents..

not much to add here other than what has been said, but I think that is GREAT! another good thing about fishin is there is plenty of time to relax and just talk and enjoy good friends without all the hustle and bustle of a normal day. i think i just feel happy and relaxed out on the water (i lot happier when the hawgs is a bitin). good show teri and hope it turns out well.

jd

Wow, Teri! The world needs more people like you!

My niece is a former Special Olympian, and those times

(years ago now) were some of my proudest and most cherished times! Good for you, and hook him up with a couple bluegill or crappie on ultralites and he'll be sold on fishin'!!

Take care, teri, egMike

Greg, thank you for advice. I think it's a great idea to get him his own life jacket. I never thought of that. He already asked to go tubing and I told him I could start off pulling him slow and he said "No, I like to go FFFAAASSSTTT!!" We'll get along just fine. I have a 5'6" pole and a few nice Abumatic spin casting reels. I also have a Diawa spin that works great. I use it for catfishing. If those don't work, I'll buy what you suggested. Thanks again.

For all of you who mentioned donating time with kids, good for you and even better for the kids!!

I am off to the Special Olympics opening ceremonies....

Fish on!! Cathc some for me this weekend. I am really missing the Banana Boat. It's just collecting dust.

Latest posts

Back