A little smoke!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harris

Reaction score
Ok so not to sound dumb, but Wed. was out on the lake and I got a whiff of something burning. I looked down and a little smoke was coming out of where the trolling motor plugs into the elect. socket. I pulled the plug out and one of the prongs had melted along with part of the elect. plug. So A) what went wrong and B) how do I fix it. Thanks.:wacko:

My guess is that if you pull the socked out you will find a short where the wires connect at the back of the socket. Should be a simple replacement but make sure things are tight when you replace.

What happens most of the time is the female half of the connector loosens up it's grip on the male half. The loose connection causes higher current draw - Current makes heat - heat melts plug - end of story. Replace the plug with a pair rated at a higher current, Don't cheap out on a connector Spend money on a good connector.

" the female half of the connector loosens up it's grip on the male half "... Bummer!

Lol Greg.

This can also happen from corrosion in the plug itself. Byron's advice is good. Get a good quality plug and replace what you have.

Water!! It's not good when it gets wet.....double bummer...LOL

Byron is spot on here I think. happened to a buddy. He simplified things by soldering the trolling motor wires to the boat's trolling motor wires....

Latest posts

Back