A Lesson In How To Treat A Customer - Heads Up Tracker

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Went up to the cabin on Friday to open the place up after a long winter and to take last years new pontoon in for it's 20 hour motor tune up.

Upon arrival, much to my horror, I noticed that the cover and contraption I had constructed for the pontoon, which I thought was pretty much bulletproof, had collapsed under the winters snowfall. After getting a ladder and peering inside, I noticed that I now had what a redneck would consider a pretty classy above ground pool...!!

Needless to say, I was a little peeved. Especially since I had asked a neighbor (who is a bit "nutty" to say the least) to call me if their were any problems with the cabin or the boat. Unfortunately I never saw the neighbor all weekend to "chat" with him, he was'nt home, he may have been "committed" (northern Michigan winters are very long and lonely - think Jack Nicholson in "The Shining").

Anyhow, I drained the water off the covers (I used 3 covers)and got them off the boat. My custom snap-on Crestliner cover was destroyed (torn in 4 different places). The other 2 were torn a bit also, but they were after market cheapos. I was really upset over the custom cover though, it's the same color as the boat and was custom made for that model, it fits it like a glove and is big $ to replace.

On saturday, I hooked up the rig to my truck and hauled it to "PIONEER HILLS MARINE" in Roscommon Mi. by Higgins Lake. This is about 25 miles away from my cabin, and I passed 3 local dealers in the process which are mere minutes from my cabin, but from past experiences I would'nt trust any of them to change my spark plugs.

Anyhow, Pioneer Hills Marine is a Crestliner dealer. I did a search via the internet a few weeks ago to try to locate a crestliner dealer near my cabin and they popped up. I had no idea what to expect since I've never been there or seen them before. But upon my arrival, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very large modern looking facility with what turned out to be a very, very friendly staff.

I was directed to the repair building which is a very large and modernly equipped pole barn. A very friendly and personable woman wrote my work order up, she paged the repair manager to the front and introduced me to him, he then assigned a mechanic to my boat and called him to the front for an introduction, I was very impressed. All 4 of us then looked at my boat, they remarked that it appeared I left my cover off all winter. I then told them my story. They apparently felt sorry for me and immediately assigned one of the "grandkids" to get the boat detailed, at NO CHARGE...!! The repair manager then looked at my cover, called a canvas guy from the garage and had him look at it. He immediately took the cover and for $40.00 said he'd have it patched with matching fabric and back on the rig by the end of the day. I was blown away..!! The repair manager then told me he'd have his mechanic take care of the 20 hour tune up, then go over the entire boat, bow to stern and try to uncover any overlooked warranty issues and have them repaired immediately. I was speechless, I did'nt even ask them to do this. The repair manager then said it would take about a week if all checked out fine. I told them this would be fine as I would'nt be back up until May 15th, and asked them if this would be OK, expecting a storage fee. Service manager said that would be fine and that they would store it free of charge...INSIDE...!!!

Now don't get the wrong idea here, this was no mom and pop operation here, they had hundreds of boats all over the grounds. At least a half dozen mechanics from what I could see and many other employees in crisp uniforms walking all over the grounds. I was blown away to say the least by there operation and friendly CUSTOMER oriented service.

Finally, a boat repair experience that I am feeling pretty darn good about...!!!

Careful Smitty, you might be told to "Stay at the Crestliner page!" LOL

Let's revisit this on May 15. Anyone can make a promise... it's the keeping it part that seems to be hard. I hope you're as lucky as it sounds like you are.

It's kinda funny you said that Rob, I've seriously been considering a Ranger multi-species since last year and was hoping to "git 'er done" next year. But after kicking around this dealership for awhile and eyeballin those shiny new Crestliner RCL edition boats I'm having second thoughts. All this from one positive repair experience and so far (though I'm not a pontoon guy, it's the wifes boat) a very positive Crestliner ownership experience. For a pontoon, it's really nice, and built like a tank...

Quit rainin on my parade Snow..!!! I DESERVE THIS...!!!LOL...actually my pontoon was already being detailed by some little whippersnapper by the time I got done slobbering on those RCL boats...but I'll definately report back on this, if it turns bad, I'll eat my words right here...!!LOL

Say buddy....I wuz kinda wunderin' 'bout that ther buv ground swimmin' hole. The lil' mizzus has been blistern' me to git 'er summthin like that to splash around in cuz them hound dawgs is alwaz raisin' thar legs in the other lil' swimmin' hole I dug fur her. She says it ain't good for the baby and the 14 other kids to be in thar with all them hounds. Shuks thars just 8 of 'em. Anyway you'd thank it'd be okay for us and the kids and the dawgs to come up to your place and try out that 'buv ground swimmin' hole?

I'll bring the Lone Star.

Smitty -

You're talking about a "dealer" issue not a "manufacturer" issue.

There are many exceptional Tracker Dealers out there as well! No one manufacturer has the corner on the Good Dealer market!

It sounds like you were fortunate enough to come across one of the "exception" types at a time when you most needed one! Two Thumbs Up to that Dealership!

me!

Smitty, I'd walk 25 miles pulling my boat by hand for a dealer like that. Glad you found them.

How far are you from BPS/TMBC, Atlanta?

Dan J - Be sure to get a picture and post it! :)

Rich, you forgot, "uphill, both ways, with the surge brakes stuck ON!"

In no way, shape or form was my thread knocking the service I have recieved from the Tracker Marine Repair Center in Pontiac, MI. I have always recieved exceptional service from the folks there, and have said so many times in the past. In fact, I don't think anyone will find a negative comment I have ever made about their service. My beef is and always will be with the Tracker Marine Group customer service. Because of them, my Tracker Boat owners experience has been nothing short of a major disappointment. Because of them, the dealers are completely powerless to make any rational decisions in the customers favor. And finally, because of their absurd behavior and total lack of regard for a loyal second time customer I will never purchase another boat manufactured by The Tracker Marine Group. I will gladly pony up the extra dollars it will cost me to pay for the name of a Ranger, knowing that those xtra dollars will probably buy me some piece of mind when and if I was to run into a problem with the boat. IMHO, it's money well spent.

Thanx for the clarification, Smitty.

Craig, Kathy and the rest of the crew at BPS in Mi. pride themselves on their outstanding dedication to customer service.

P.S. Can I go for a ride in your new Ranger?!?

We once again receive confirmation, that for the most part, it's the DEALER that makes the difference. Yes, they need to be backed up by a committment from the company - but a bad dealer with a good company will still be a bad dealer.

A good dealer with an average company, can make a significant difference.

Glad that you have found a great dealer in your area.

Tex

Latest posts

Back