99 Merc200 EFI low RPM under load

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Strong

Reaction score
We'll after fishing the "hootch" for about 6 hrs with a buddy from work, I cranked up the engine and stared the 6 mile run back down the river. After getting up on plane I noticed I was only getting about 4,100 RPM and about 40mph. First though was I had a soda bottle under the hot foot and couldn't get full throttle.

So, I back off, shift to neutral and take a look under the console, ...nothing.

I crank her back up, trim down and drop the hammer........nada, I get about 1900 RPM :(?? Shut her down, trim the motor up to take a look at the prop and lower unit, look good, nothing wrapped up in it. Pull the engine cover , check the throttle linkage, cycle the hot foot, looks like it's working to me. Let her set a few minutes, fired back up and same deal. She'll turn 5,500 RPM in neutral, but 2,000 at best under load. So we limp back about 2 miles in the 95 degree heat and I'm pissed.

Get back to my buddies house and pull the cover again, this time we pull the spark plugs one at a time. They look like they have oil on 4 of 6. Stop by the marine store and pick up 6 new plugs thinking this is the problem, (4 out of 6 plugs don't look "right", low RPM, sounds good to me) Swap the plugs and head back to the river after a few hours rest.

No change, she'll turn 5500 RPM in neutral, but 2000 RPM max under a load.

I've got a good shop near by that I plan to take it to tomorrow, but just wanted to run it by y'all before I fork out $$ to the shop.

I'm OK with the wrenches, so some minor work is OK for me to tackle, but EFI or other electronic issues is going to take someone with a lil more knowledge on OB's

Your thoughts.

I did a quick google search on Merc troubleshooting but didn't find much. Anybody have a repair manual for a 99 200 HP EFI ??

Thanks

JS

JS, first let me say "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, turn 5500 rpm's in neutral. You can do a whole lot more damage, than you started with. Not even trying to check for a problem. Pull a compression test, use a rubber tip gauge. If the compression is good you have a fuel problem.

Bubby:)

Latest posts

Back