97 Savage 884 randomly trimming up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Oliver

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Nitro Savage 884 with a 97 Mercury 150 and sometimes when i will be fishing the motor will just start trimming up randomly and the only way to make it stop is pressing the trim down on the motor. Pressing the trim button on the bow or on the throttle will only stop while holding the down trim it doesnt trim down it just stops doing anything until you let go of the trim down and after that it will continue trimming up. It has gradually gotten worse starting to trim up more frequently. It has really scared me from running the boat fast and trimmed up like its suppose to be run because i am scared its gonna trim out of the water. I have to disconnect it everytime i tow it because im scared its gonna trim the transom saver off and it grab the ground and cause problems i really dont want. I also hard on my trim motor and with it being older i just dont really want to have to replace it either just because of this stupid problem.

But any help would be greatly appreciated I would just like to get this solved

So thanks,

Matt

Relays. I've had this issue twice. I pulled the relays, made sure I didn't have any condensation in the contacts, and then replaced them anyway. Fixed the problem both times. Once on a 120 Johnson, and once on my current 225 Mercury.

All the best,

Glenn

Relays are a good place to start. Good advice TG. Also might check to see if you have a trim switch shorting out. If the rubber boot is cracked on any switch they can also cause the condition you describe, by allowing moisture in.

My 99' 882 was doing the same thing about 2 months ago. It turned out to be trim relays also. Changed them out and it fixed her right up!:D

I replaced trim relays and still having the problem. Have also checked the trim switch and they all seem to be alright but I am still thinking it is the trim switch on the motor because that is the only one that will actually make the motor stop trimming up. But come to find out that switch is 70$ so I would like to know for sure if that is it so if anyone knows if that could be the problem please let me know.

thanks guys for all your time and help it is greatly appreciated

Latest posts

Back