901 set-up opinion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt Rigstad

Reaction score
I'm considering putting a Hydraulic Jackplate when I order my 901. My question is, is it worth the money and how much will this improve the performance, or is it even necessary. I talked to one of the Michigan sponsored Nitro pros and he said it would not be necessary. Any opinions???

My .02.....

Unless you are REALLY into performance tuning..... And unless you are REALLY into fiddling with your boat constantly while running..... The hydraulic jackplate will just be something else that you never really use and presents the potential for problems. Just stay with a standard jackplate and you'll be happy!

me!

IMHO,...Hydraulic jackplates are more important if you spend a lot of time fishing large shallow flats or shallow water that requires a higher motor setting to get up on plane faster. I had a 901 with a manual jackplate and once it's set up to the proper height for best overall performance, I never felt I "needed" a Hydraulic plate after that. They're nice to have if you really want one,...but I've never owned one, and I've always used the manual Jackplates,.....they're worth their weight in gold for over all performance improvements when certain hulls require them,..but I agree with the "other" MI Pro...the Hyd.plates are not really necessary up here. You'll be just fine with the standard manual plate that comes standard on a 901. Good luck and have fun.......

Mac

I have bought my detwiler jack plate twice now on my 911. Wish i would have got a manual jack plate. I would say a manual jack plate would handle all of your performance needs. But it sounds like you are curious and if your like most people i wouldn't listen to anyone else and get the hydraulic like i did. The only way to be sure is to find out yourself.

Latest posts

Back