9.9hp on a TX-17

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Muniz

Reaction score
I own a 1993 TX-17 with a 40hp Tracker (Evinrude) motor. Motor is original and runs fine. I live in an area with mostly small lakes and hp restricted lakes and am considering repowering with a 9.9 4 stroke.

I realize the boat will not get on plane with this size motor but I was wondering how fast I can expect it to go.

Anyone with real world experience with kind of setup.

Thanks.

Fast enough to get you around any small lake with a hp restriction. Do what it takes, some of those smaller unpressured lakes are the best fishing in the country.

I have a 9.9 on my v17. I have used a GPS and it said between 8-10 mph. I would guess you would have similar results. The bottom line for me when I sold my 60hp and went with the 9.9 is the 9.9 went a lot faster than the trolling motor. I fish restricted lakes about 95% of the time. Now the trip to Lake of the Ozarks last year would have been much better with the 60hp but you can't get it both ways, at least not on a v17.

When faced with a similar dilemma, I made my TX 17 the best boat in all of Tidewater Va. I kept my 70HP and mounted a T&H Marine Mini-Jacker on the port side of the transom. I hang a 9.9 there when I fish HP restricted bodies of water. Unfortunately, top speed with the 9.9 is aprox 7MPH and I lost 3-4 MPH off the top end with the 70. However, this modification allows me to fish comfortably on all bodies of water.

Latest posts

Back