700 lx transom defect

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey g.

Reaction score
I have a 1998 nitro 700lx with a 2003 115 merc.I just had to have major transom work done.There was a breach between the deck and the hull due to a defect in mfg. and caused the wood in my transom too turn to mush.I had a marine surveyor complete a full report of this, provided for by Boat U.S. who is my insurer.I urge everyone with a 98 700lx to check their transoms.Rock your motor up and down and look for flexing.Thats what I did and thats how I found a potential life threatening defect.Tracker refuses to warranty this negligence even though it's a safety issue and this boat has already been replaced once under warranty.And by the way tracker only gives a 1 year warranty on replacement boats.I originally started out with a 1994 170tf which had a structural foaming defect and caused the bottom of the pad to crack.The 98 700lx was the warranty replacement.I will provide the surveyors report upon request as well as pictures.I hope this will save a life.

Thanks for posting your concerns.... You can't really expect any warranty on an eight year old hull..... Can you?????

KB

Well,this hull only has approx 135 hours on it and has always been garage kept.And if you were to see the pictures they clearly show mfg. neglence.You cant warranty neglence. and I thought the transom was supposed to be the strongest part of the boat.

J.G. - Question, as i've got a '99 700lx and a 115 Merc Carb'd motor. I see in one picture you have the 4 stroke EFI motor. Is that the original '98 motor or did you upgrade? I don't remember if they offered the 115 4stroke in 98.

I upgraded in 02 with a 4 stroke but before I did my dealer verified with tracker that it was ok to repower with a 4 stroke seeing that it is only approx 40 lbs. heaver tracker didnt see it as being a problem.Please check yours by raising the motor to almost vertical and by pushing on cavatation plate look at the area shown in my pix and see if you notice any flexing.I did see stress cracks in the gelcoat coming from the top two motor bolts. I also see you have a jackplate, even more reason to check your transom as they cause more stress.The fiberglass shop that I had do the repairs was suprised to see no bracing connecting the transom to the stringers.But his repairs did include bracing and a lifetime warranty something tracker didnt do and refuses to warranty even though my life was in danger.The wood in my transom had the consistancy of "peanutbutter".So for your childrens sake CHECK IT !!!!

J.G. - You were reading my mind, one of my questions was the 4 stroke too heavy and would void the warranty.

I've got the jackplate and have checked the transom, it seems solid and tight, no flexing at all.

I feel your pain, but also have had vehicle issues 1 day/1 mile out of warranty and been told by the factory zone rep - sorry, its out of warranty and its not a know recall/defect.

Latest posts

Back