700 lx transom defect

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey g.

Reaction score
I have a 1998 nitro 700lx with a 2003 115 merc.I just had to have major transom work done.There was a breach between the deck and the hull due to a defect in mfg. and caused the wood in my transom too turn to mush (see photos).I had a marine surveyor complete a full report of this, provided for by Boat U.S. who is my insurer.I urge everyone with a 98 700lx to check their transoms.Rock your motor up and down and look for flexing.Thats what I did and thats how I found a potential life threatening defect.Tracker refuses to warranty this negligence even though it's a safety issue and this boat has already been replaced once under warranty.And by the way tracker only gives a 1 year warranty on replacement boats.I originally started out with a 1994 170tf which had a structural foaming defect and caused the bottom of the pad to crack.The 98 700lx was the warranty replacement.I will provide the surveyors report upon request as well as pictures.I hope this will save a life.

This is very true of Tracker and the way they handle their issues,I owned several Tracker products and for the most part didnt have all that much of a problem or at least what a letter from a lawyer didnt resolve....Unless i get in a bad way i plan to NEVER own another Tracker product again......:):):):)

J.G - Sorry about your boat, but since you didn't respond to my post on your 6/19/2006 20:29 ET post of the same exact words I assume you are a disgruntled owner and just hope to span every website that has Nitro owners on it.

Ya know, if you wanted better impact to your (I believe you its probably true) story, you might want to update the wording and current status of your probable lawsuit, press releases and so on.

sorry, this is not negating your concerns and issues, but i've had manufacturers defects on cars 2 months and 1000 miles out of warranty and both Honda and Chevy said "tough luck, its NOT a recall or federal investigation", so 5 years after you had a replacement boat from the factory you decided to upgrade the motor to something other then what the dealer installed in 1998 and you are expecting compenstation? I'm not with ya, I feel for ya, but I would not put a 4 stroke on my '99 700lx. If I wanted a 4 stroke i'd definetly go for a new boat and motor combo.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and Tim - Come on dude, you had TOW tracker marine products (a Nitro 170 and a new PT 175) and until the deal on the Triton came along I don't remember (by searching this site and bassboatcentral.com) you ever posting of needing a lawyer or having any warranty issues? did I miss something?

And for everyone's information - NO I am not a pro, semi-pro or have ANY sponsors except my wife and kids who induldge my fishing habit (is there a 10 step program!!! lol). though I purposely bought a used Nitro when I wanted to move to a 'glass boat from my Tracker, because I have had better service from Tracker Marine then I have from every car dealer (Honda, Saturn, Ford, Chevy, Pontiac).

Reactions: cq
It just amazes me that when a life was at stake how tracker maintained a "care less" attitude.It only cost me 1800.00 to fix it so im not that sore at the cost as I am at the fact that I could have been killed!!!!!!!

Trep man,I did reply to your post but I will say again Tracker was asked about the motor upgrade before I did it and they said the 40 lb difference in weight between the 115 2 stroke & the 115 4 stroke was not a problem or a safety issue.And according to the marine surveyors report it was an improper use of sealent between the deck and the transom that caused my transom to turn to mush,you can see this in my pictures if you would care to look.And as far as I know you cant warranty negligence especially when it comes to safety!!!!

And if those issues on your vehicles were health or safety related they would have to cover them.

Tim, do you still have the 2005 Pro Team 175 & the 1995 Rick Clunn Nitro 170TF that is listed in your member's profile?

Uncle Billy

J.G. - Let me take it back a step, as I did say that i'm Sorry about your boat and that this is not negating your concerns and issues... Have you pursued any further action (legal or otherwise) with Tracker since this occured and has been fixed? Are you planning any or can you not discuss them due to advice from a lawyer?

I just searched and see that you posted the same information exactly yesterday, 7/11 and 6/19. So, what is your goal in posting the same information 3 times? Are you planning to post it every few weeks? From a non-involved person, you loose impact to a message you want to get out if you just (my term) Spam a website with the same information.

My point being, you are part of our "Nitro" family on this site, so when you posed your issue and status back on 6/19/2006 20:29 ET, a number of folks replied and you got a point across, which is what I assumed you wanted. I think it stinks too about you having to put $1800 into a boat for a new transom regardless of when it happened. Maybe the person at tracker that provided the OK for a 115 4 stroke was ill informed or completely wrong, as I think in 2005 (the last year you could get the 700lx) you could NOT get the 115 4 stroke as I believe it was due to the motor weight (just my opinion, not Trackers or anyone elses).

Anyway, what are you doing going forward?

Uncle Bill - Tim sold both his Nitro and Tracker a few months ago, he got a deal on a used Triton 18fter I think I remember. But I don't remember him posting anything about "didnt have all that much of a problem or at least what a letter from a lawyer didnt resolve".

JG, I'm sorry for your troubles.

However, if this situation is settled, and you are not asking for help, and not providing new information, but instead using the forum to wage a P.R. campaign against Tracker, then I'll have to ask you to stop creating new threads to retell the same story.

You are welcome to post any updates or new developments, or respond with this story to someone else with a similar situation. Just no new threads with the same info.

Thanks Rich,

J.G. Not to wizz in your corn flakes... Please stop throwing the life threatening issue out there!!!

I am truly sorry for your out of date warranty issues!!

We drive high performance bass boats at speeds that could kill us at any moment if something unforseeable were to happen.

We take that risk when we sit behind the wheel, the same risk is taken when crossing the street or going to work every day.... Give it a rest PLEASE!!

Something constructive to say... post all you want!! Have a nice day!!!

KB

I don't know if anyone else here is as (ummmmm.....) "detail-oriented" :lol: as I am, but I check my transom bolts / jackplate bolts every couple of trips out to ensure everything is tight. I also made sure when I bought every one of my boats, that the engine bolt holes were siliconed, as well as any part of the boat subjected to being submerged for any amount of time.

If you aren't concerned enough about your personal safety to check those items and ensure they are up to par, then you have no right, in my opinion, to complain about someone (or a companies) lack of concern for your personal safety.

KB is right. We take a risk every time we get behind the wheel of our boats. You just have to do whatever you can to reduce that risk. Boats + water + boat owner that doesn't know every nut and bolt of his watercraft = potential catastrophy waiting to happen. I'd suggest either getting used to that fact, or take up golf.

All the best,

Glenn

Thank you Uncle Billy. I can't take the credit for it though. Thats my loving wifes way of describing me. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Could whoever installed the motor in 2003 improperly sealed the transom bolts, allowing water in, turning it to mush ??

I'm wondering how it made it 5 years with the defect,,,,, a new motor put on not noticing the defect ( and mushy transom during the motor install ). And then 3 more years untill it finally splits apart.

Wouldn't you notice a rotted out transom when installing the new motor (in 2003) ??????

Steve

OK,let me say this for the last time,the marine surveyor determined it was a seperation between the hull and deck that was not filled properly.It could not be seen because this area is behind the rub rail.If you all would look at the pictures you would see the mismatch between the hull and deck and the white sealant used to fill it.The sealent is cracked which means a breach in the hull.Now I may have failed to mention that this boat has always been garage kept and only has 135 hours on it total between both motors.I baby this boat and maintain it to the hilt thats probally why im not at the bottom of lake comberland and the transom had not given way.This is a hidden problem due to its location behind the rub rail.

As for steves question,NO,I just happened to notice some very fine cracks in the gel coat near the top ledge of the transom splash well then I pursued that to find out the end result,"Mush".So you see after tracker failed once with my 1994 170tf and now with my 1998 700lx it makes me wonder if in 2006 tracker has moved from being a failuar to being a lackluster AT BEST company ? Well some here on this forum may be willing to settle for these type of products but all should remember it's this mentality that is the reason for the failing big 3 automakers and hopefully tracker will suffer this fate as long as they continue to manfacture products like this.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on JG.

When the new motor was put on in 2003, the transom was fine, and not "mush" ????

Am I correct on this ?????

Steve

Trep,you didnt really miss anything I just didnt go into detail about my first conversation with the good folks at Tracker.....J.G.,,,, Rich is kinda right on using the post to try to get your results,from what I can remember and was told when i did my rant on here there are a bunch of "dopes" on here that work for tracker and may get offended...Just my 2 cents worth...Best thing to do is get your marine surveyor to write it up and if you and him thinks there is probable cause then call Ken Nugent,,One call thats all....And get your check for $200.000......Stay on them until they get it fixed then sell it and go with a boat that has no wood built in,,,Problem solved......Trep i am ready to fish Altoona....Yes Uncle Billy I sold both my other boats...I do miss the 175 though....

This thread has been interesting to me so I went back and did a little searching. This was your post in response to J.G.'s predicament yesterday.

"This is very true of Tracker and the way they handle their issues,I owned several Tracker products and for the most part didnt have all that much of a problem or at least what a letter from a lawyer didnt resolve....Unless i get in a bad way i plan to NEVER own another Tracker product again......"

The 02/28/06 post was addressed to: Apoligy To Any Tracker Employees

02/28/06 - rtlofishing - "I want to say I am sorry for the rant that took place earlier on this website with regards to my comments to Tracker or any of thier employees...I spoke with Nathan Long and he was more than willing to help me with my problems.I understand that this website wasnt the place to do what i done,but after being down a week wit the flu and being without my boat for over 2 weeks and couldnt get any answers,I juIst lost it...So again sorry to those involved and Tracker does make a top notch product in which i will continue to buy....

05/05/06 - rtlofishing - "Bought myself a Triton tonight...Now i can feel the ponies behind one of those bad boy 150,s....Will post pics soon,I LOVE the Nitro,s but i couldnt pass up the deal i got on this boat...."

I own one of these products and hate to hear them unfairly slammed, especially by you Tim. After you stopped ranting and raving and threatening with an Attorney on this site, and got hold of the right person, your problems were solved. Isn't that why you apologized? So you loved you Nitro and Tracker makes a top notch product but you'll never buy one again unless you're in "a bad way." I just understand this mode of thinking unless you just wanted to slam Tracker/Nitro to get a rise out of people.

Uncle Billy

Jg, Please understand that you are in a very small minority... Overall Tracker has a pretty good satisfaction rating... Also please understand that EVERY boat company has had this same issue. Ranger went to full fiberglass transoms for a reason. Most of the major boat companies now use composite material in the construction of their boats... ( Including Nitro)

The boat you have was made with completly different manufacturing processes than used today. Companies see these issues and change to make their products better.

Tracker Marine and Nitro has stepped up with the quality and production standards!! I will admit that the quality of TM products in 98 were not the best.... They know this and started a slow but steady change to better the product line... I also want you to know that i am a member of the Nitro State Team fromTMBC/ BPS Hampton.

I run a 2005 929 and trust me, I put that boat through more in a season than most consumers will in a lifetime... I beat the crap out of these rigs and they have never let me down... Now let me say this... Tracker folks DO monitor this board as do other boat companies... We know you are trying to drum up some kind of support or response from TM.

Your boat is out of warranty.

It was and is your responsability to make sure your boat is seaworthy EVERY time you launch it... You failed to do that and YOU put yourself and your family at risk of being killed, as you put it!!!!

PLEASE put this matter to rest... Tracker marine is a completly different company from the one the made your boat in 98...

I'm done now... Hope you are!!!!

Kenneth Brown

Hey KB - Can I tell you about all the problems I had with my Nitro 896 from Tracker Marine???????? :p:p:p:p

Well I'll back up J.G by saying," My experience with Tracker Marine was anything but pleasent"...and anyone who knows the story will agree.:angry:

Bill, We will discuss your boat problems in a few months...

Tee, I really doubt your situation is the same as J.G's... Still in the minority

Not going there... this is old enough!!!!!!

KB

To answer steves question ,no it is very hard to see the condition of the transoms core by just looking in the holes the surveyor had to use a moistire meter and an awl to poke around inside the diameter of the holes.But when he pulled out the larger diameter splash well drain liners he was able to insert his finger all the way into the transom up to his knuckle.

And if the rest of you don't understand what your looking at in my pictures i'll explain,The reason that the white filler goop had to be used at the factory is because the molds for the deck and/or hull were not made properly or the chopping in of the glass was not being done properly either way the gap should not have been filled with anything BUT glass.And this info. was provided to me by the shop that did the work,who is also an authorized tracker repair facility.

You guys take stuff way too seriously on here,,Certain people can say what they want and they are praised and then let someone else speak their mind and if the few on here dont agree then they get testy,,,Every one should have his or her rights to their opinions AND after all the bottom line is getting our problems ironed out on here or at least getting the right person or parts or contacts to do it with....Uncle Billy I was more or less joking about what I said but since you must know...I think tracker makes a pretty good aluminum boat as far as the welded boats go and I believe unless you buy the top of the line glass Nitro you get a boat that is underpowered and plain as far as features and options....Not a bad deal if your looking for an entry level rig........So be it as it may I understand that this is a Nitro and Tracker website and I dont own a Tracker product so send Rich and email and ask him to have me removed from the board or club or whatever then you guys can just keep it the way you want it,and keep only the comments you want the see on here......Now that is my 2 cents worth....

So Tim, now you should be able to say what you want but nobody else should? I really take offense with your statement that there is favoritism played here. Everyone can say what they want but then they have to be ready to receive the responses. Favoritism may be perceived because some of us post more than others, know each other, and have fished with each other.

I never felt a "more or less joking" attitude in the things you said Tim and all I did was quote things you actually did say. When did I say I "must know" anything BTW?

I don't think anyone would have to e-mail Rich anything. He monitors his own board. And who has asked you to leave? You know darm well all of this has nothing to do with keeping this board the "way we want it" or keep only the "comments we want to see" on here. Look at your response to J.G.'s posting for goodness sake.. You were Joking? One of the things you said that I didn't bring up was when you got the Triton and had to brag how much better it was than Nitro. Why, would anyone come onto a board devoted to Nitro's and Tracker's and say the things you have?

I think it's silly for you to leave but if this my site, you'd already be gone. And now, that's all I have to say about this.

Uncle Billy

I fully agree with Uncle Billy. As you can tell from my screen name, I own a Triton also, but I wouldn't come on here and tell everyone my boat is BETTER than theirs. I have posted about how much I enjoy my 'toon, but to come on here and constantly bash Nitro is unacceptable. There was a time, about a year ago, that I had issues with Nitro. I posted them here and another place, and although I was upset at the time and meant what I posted, the way I went about it was probably not the best. I was venting. A good friend emailed me and spoke with me about my postings. I promptly asked for them to be removed. I'm over that incident. I moved on. I don't post about it over, and over, and over again. If it's already been posted, then drop it and move on. To continually come on here to complain about the same issue that has been discussed before is nothing less than bashing, and I consider it unneccessary. Nobody should have to come on here to ban you. If you know you are posting in a way that is unacceptable to the majority of the board members, then just do the right thing - and either stop.... or leave. I consider it a priveledge to own one brand of boat and still be able to contribute to another boats forum. I have learned a lot from the folks here, and have contributed as well. I have friends here, and continually make more.

I don't care if you have to re-arrange the letters on the side of my boat and loose the extra "t" to spell Nitro. :lol: Its all good brother! Can't we all just get along?!!!:p:lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

KB - Glenn may be the anagram man but he is definitely a "short-timer". Under a 100 days was always a short-timer when I was doing my duty. Remember it fondly (and with great anticipation).

Bill,

Not really a "short timer" in the Navy, just on this tour. I have less than 100 days on SEA DUTY. I'm at 19 years right now. I have one more tour of duty left before I retire. I think a few people mistakenly thought I was saying that I was retiring in 73 days. I am going to shore duty for my last tour in the Navy, and that will bring me out to 22 years, which I feel is a good stopping point. Nice even number. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Billy and T Glenn.....I am sorry if both or either of you took offense to any or all my comments...I am not a brand basher nor did i ever mean to post that my Triton was a better boat that any other mfg...I was just comparing apples to oranges for the money....I understand you guys are very brand loyal and you should be..And as far as the favoritism thing I actually and honestly could care less if there is or isnt....I was just trying to help a fellow boating brother get his problem fixed and you guys were like well get it fixed but dont say nothin bad or neg about tracker...Truth be known the customer service is probably the same for all of them ....So can we please just drop this nonsense back and forth...Its like having ex wives or something...TOO MUCH DRAMA......T Glenn people wouldnt have to come on here and complain about issues if the mfg,s handled there side of it like a business....ALL MFG,s....People come on here and rant like that hoping someone will respond and do something about their problem...So i have no beef with either of you so have peace about you...I tend to be on the side of not butt kissing and i am not a yes man and some people cant handle that,,,,I am not about to change,thats what is wrong with the US today is so many people have bowed down or gotten out of the way and look where it has us today....J G i hope you get your issues resolved soon

Oh rtlofishing, you were doing so well too.:( The beginning of your post was excellent and sucked me right in. But then something happened and you started flying all over the map. If you really don't know why your and J.G.'s posts were unacceptable and unwarranted then I can't help you.

You folks just don't get it!!!!!! The OLD boat is out of warranty..... PERIOD

You guys want to get something for nothing... You would not be in business long if you honored 8-9 year old warranties!!!!! Give it a rest.....

Some peoples Kids!!!!!

As far as another brand boat... They are all good and they all have their Lemons... Nitro and Triton alike....

KB

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Yep. Very first Triton I ever saw was brand new and split from bow console to stern on the topcap, and I thought "I'll never own one of those".... and look what I drive now - a TR20X. Geez, wow. That was back when the Redman tournament trail was still around. How many years has that been? I'm feeling a bit old tonight. I know it wasn't that long ago, but it feels like forever. :blink:

All the best,

Glenn

I post seldom but read daily and in my opinion Steve R. hit it right on the nose.

So should I worry about my transom ??? I just bought a 1998 Nitro 700 LX.....how would I check for rot?

Paul, you are digging in the archives!!:lol: This was an interesting read from days gone by. Bottom line as was said in the above posts, check your equipment and it is testimony that you have to go back 6 years to find a complaint. Rotten transoms are not the norm but when buying a used boat it is ALWAYS checked. Also in the older boats, it could happen to any one of them by any maker. Bounce your motor up and down while out of the water and standing behind it.....does the transom "give"? If so we'll go to step 2.

Latest posts

Back