3 Blade to 4 Blade

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie Payne

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Z7 with a 175 ProXS. The stock prop is a 24P Tempest Plus. With the boat as level as I can get it I measured prop centerline to floor and pad to floor and am at about 3" below pad which is the height I bought it at. Performance is okay, I can bump 64mph GPS but the chine gets bad.

I bought a 24p Trophy Plus and run it in the summer, better hole shot and overall handling when it is hot here in the south.

Last week I ran the Trophy and with it a 1/2" higher, I got an alarm while making turns, looked like I was loosing water pressure. I lowered it back down and all was good. Max speed was around 60-61. Water temp was 88, air near 100 in Arkansas. I know that has a lot to do with it.

My question is do I need to drop the Tempest down a bit? The hole shot sucks with two people on board with the Tempest.

On the Trophy, do I need to drop down a pitch to a 23 when going from a 3 to 4 blade prop?

Just looking for any thoughts one way or the other.

Thanks.

Merc props are generally pitch for pitch. What is your water pressure with the tempest?

Bob thanks for that. I want to say between 10-15 psi. I watch it but not as close as I should. One day I will have the Mercmonitor in my boat!

The correct operating pressure for that motor is 11-14 psi at WOT. I personally like to see a minimum of 15PSI. Keep jacking that motor up, and watch the pressure gauge!! ;)

Bob is it normal to get an alarm while making a high speed turn? I was on Lake Ouachita last week running the Trophy, 3 times I got an alarm while turning at over 55 mph.

It sounds like I am in the range on the water pressure, but will jack it up a 1/4" and see what I get.

I am considering having the Tempest B&B'd this fall and maybe add a little cup to help with the hole shot. The Z7 is notoriously bad with two fat men in it!

Love my motor though.

Thanks.

It is common to see a loss of water pressure in turns....just be aware that this "phenomenon" can happen, watch your gauges and you'll be good to go. ;)

E5Zero,

I have the same combo as you do. I run mine with the motor 2 3/4" below pad and i run a 24 tempest plus that i have also sent out to DAH propeller to have it blueprinted. I also plugged the top three intake holes per Bob's advice when i first got the boat. I get between 15-20psi wide open out of mine. I can run mine right up to ~67 and change loaded to fish the way its setup now. Chine walk is not really a problem on mine, it did walk a little when i first got it(if i let it do it) but once i got the engine height dialed in and the prop worked it's been a non issue. I have to be loaded really light on gear and fuel and make no wheel corrections to make it walk now.

I have also tried a 24 trophy plus(actually i have tried 3) and i dont think a 24 is enough prop on the trophy. I can easily hit 6k on the tach barely getting to half trim. I have lowered the motor as far as 3 1/2" below pad and it still feels like it never hooks up. I also was not one bit impressed with the holeshot, it was far worse then my tempest until i put a cavitation ring on it then it was ok but not really any better then the tempest. My boat also ran ~6mph slower with the trophy on it vs the tempest i have. Maybe Bob has some input on my situation although i think i know what he is going to tell me....

I have tried every combo of props and motor height i can think of and i keep going back to the worked tempest and 2 3/4". Mine seems pretty dialed in like that.

Jim that is good info. I think we have talked about DAH before. I may get mine done by a guy on Lake Fork. I may jack mine up with the Tempest and see what it does.

For me in the hot weather down here the Trophy does a lot better on hole shots when I am by myself, but put a load in and it is no better than the Tempest. I agree I lost speed as well.

Back