3 Batteries and only 2 bank charger tip

• Thread starter Brian Bell2 [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/8
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Bell2

Reaction score
Got this tip from a fellow on the BBC. I have a Dual Pro 2 bank charger in my boat, but have 3 batteries ( 2 for t-motor, 1 for engine ) I wanted to ensure that my cranking battery has a full charge before heading out for a day of fishing. And was looking to avoid buying a 3 bank charger or an additional single bank.

Here's the tip:

1- Disconect one set ( + and - ) leads (charger leads ) from one t-motor battery.

2- Cut the circle conectors off the + and - lead

3- Get a set of junmper cables and measure distance from charger lead you just cut to the cranking battery.

4- Cut one set of clips off the jumper cables.

5- Connect + to + and - to - from the cut end of jumper cables to the cut end of charger leads.

6- I used wire nutes and electrical tape to connect these wire.

7- Test to ensure you can charge both deep cycle batteries and 1 deep cycle and the cranking battery.

Note:

Be sure NOT to connect power to charger before connecting jumper cable clips to battery to be charged. Also be sure to disconect power before removing jumper cable clips.

Here are a couple of pics.

Picture 013_640.jpg

Do yourself a favor, and buy the correct charger. Sooner or later, you are going to have a problem. When you do, you'll regret this setup - for you will probably be on the water.

There are at least several technical reasons, why you don't want to do this.

That's one reason why so many 2 bank and 3 bank charging systems are sold.

Tex

Texas,

Can you elaborate on the technical reasons please.

All I have done is removed the +/- Dual Pro leads off one of the deep cycles and replaced it with clips so I can charge batteries 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. I do not see any negative technical issue here, the leads from each bank off the dual pro simply use round circle connection, just replaced one with clips and jumper cable

The reason I set this up was to avoid tossing out a perfectly brand new charger and replacing with 3 bank. I tested it out and it worked great..Charger has not clue what battery its hooked up to..

please explain...thanks

Kwikdraw,

Yep your correct, perhaps I was not clear enough as what I was doing.. I am actualy thinking about going over to West Marine, I am told there is a switch I can install between the battery and charger and wire so I can simply flip a switch/dial and choose the batteries I want to charge, I am told it only cost about 20 bucks.. allot cheaper than 3 bank and will look more professional.. Let you know what I find out..thanks for the input.. BTW I moved the location of the clips when not in use to the nylon straps that hold the batteries down. ( non-metalic surface ) per a friends suggestion.

Bass Pro Shops has a 3 bank on board charger that is on sale at the Spring Classic's for $99, normal price is $129. They are 5/5/5 chargers. You can also get a inlet plug that will allow you to hard wire your battery charger to the inlet plug which you install in the exterior of your boat and this allows you to plug your extension cord into the inlet charger without opening your battery compartment. I have put one of these on both my Nitro's and BassCat and have really liked it. Just plug and play!

Kevin

Got one of those external plugs on my Triton, came with it..Do you recall what brand that 3 bank was and can it be ordered via catalog.. I am 2.5 hours from closest BPS

Another option that is cheaper and easier when compared to the power plug, and the new hole in your boat, is to buy a short multi-outlet extension cable that you can route out the hole where your steering cables and fuel line run. You can plug in more than one charger if need be and still have only one easy-to-reach plug when re-charging.

Your second explanation is better. I understood it differently. I'd still get a 3, you'll be happier.

Don't know if you fish tourneys or not.

Practice on Friday. Friday night put on the charger. Get up at about 1AM or so, to change leads. Hopefully the first battery is charged. Go back to bed and when ready to leave for the tourney, hope the second battery is charged.

Oh, it's a 2 day tourney. You get to do it again. Opps, I didn't get up, and the second battery is weak.

Tex

The charger is the XPS series. I had one on my first Nitro and I really liked it. The charger inlets are the way to go. There is nothing to drilling the hole in the boat. The hole is sealed with a gasket that comes with the inlet charger. I highly recommend this. You cannot order this charger. You have to go to the Classic to get it.

Short version, it will work but the turn around time will be longer.

BF

I am thinking I will try this for a while and see how it works out,, I do not fish tourny's just a weekend angler, typicly I am thinking I would only have to put a charge on the cranking battery if the boat sat for several weeks without taking out.. The 60 amp alternater on the 150 OPTI puts a good charge on the cranking battery. Did not get a chance to take boat out this weekend so its been in garage for about 8 days,, when I hooked up the leads to the cranking battery it was almost at full charge only took about 2 minutes to turn green. Looking to get an aquaview camera so would like to put that 100.00 bucks toward this at this point,, maybe in the future I'll upgrade to a 3 bank or get a Dual pro single bank for the cranking battery.. thanks for all the replies.

Brian,

Let me know about the switch, I'm interested. Post here or send me an email.

Latest posts

Back