2011 Mercury Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Bradley

Reaction score
Got the mercury optimax 150 on my nitro Z-7. Completed the break in period according to specs. Noticed the motor is not using near the oil it used too, which i know is right. Started having trouble coming out of the hole with a partner and or full live well. Removed and exhaust vent plug from the 24 pitch tempest prop, which has helped considerable, however, it does seem to bog down for a brief second when i first hammer down, like its under load, once it does break plane and i trim accordingly after it runs like a banchee, and i mean runs great, but im noticing a very strong exhaust smell. The engine seems to idle smooth, and again seems a little boggish out of the hole but once she goes, she goes, no hesitation in turns or at high speed. A fellow at the dock said i may want to have a certified tech check for a coil breaking down or a fouled plug, my question is this: would it run as great as it does once it breaks plane if either of those were breaking down? My concern is the strong exhaust smell and the dogginess out of the hole. Hate to take it to the shop if this is normal. Thanks. Fred.

Difficult to tell. It could be running on 5 cylinders and still be considered "strong". You should not get an "extreme" exhaust odor. Sluggish out-of-the hole performance may have a lot to do with the package, and prop choice. Others who own this boat nay chime in. What is your top end speed and rpm? If you have an errant coil, you should be down by about 500 rpm.....with the resultant speed loss.

Well i cant give you a more accurate gps speed, and i know that the speedo is by water compression and ist completely accurate, but the speedo reads 62 mph anywhere between 5300 and 5600 rpms. Purrs like a kitten at top end. Motor is properly mounted to specs in the third hole, trimming out as soon as i break plane, no hesitations at all after that, just the smell of exhaust at idle speed only, and, doesnt seem to have the response it should when hammering down. Usually breaks plane within 4 to 6 seconds, but motor acts and sounds like its under load for the first 2-3 seconds, then she runs like a banchee, in fact, id say it runs better than any 150 ive ever had, my last being the evinrude intruder with the carbs, this merc makes that motor look like preschool. Blows its away, would run off and leave it.

I would not know how to identify that, can someone walk me thru it, sounds simple??

Could someone take a look at the boat pic and let me know how the gunmetal N looks against the black deck top, had someone tell me the black deck top made the boat look top heavy, said the N should have been black also to match the top deck. I custom ordered it this way, just like a few opinions.

Each to their own, but if your looking for opinions, I like the gunmetal but I tend to agree that the black over shadows it a little. Great looking boat and if you like it, no one else's opinion really counts anyway.

On the back of the motor, you find a NUMBER of plug-in connectors. Be sure they are "snapped" into place. One for each CDM, 6 total, one for each injector, 6 total. ALL VERY visible. ;)

Thanks for all the replies... i looked on the back side of the motor, did find one that was not snapped, felt secure, but did snap when i pushed in on it, guess the next day on the water will tell if that was the problem. Again, thanks for all the replies.

Back