2008 Silverado reviews

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebassn

Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering how the new 2007/8 Silverados are doing in the realm of towing and comfort. I am looking at getting a new crew cab here in the next few months, i'll be selling or trading in my 04 extended cab. Thanks in advance for the reviews.

Thank you,

Eric

I have a 2007 Ext.Cab Silverado w/5.3L V8,....getting 18-19mpg highway without a boat and 13mph with a boat. It pulls a 20ft boat without even breaking a sweat....love it!!

I was a Trlblzr fan for years when i had kids at home..leased 5-6 of'em..now they're in college, own their own cars,..and Daddy has his first P/U!! Even my wife likes driving it......it rides and drives like a car, and she loves sitting up high! I'll never be without another one!! Reviews have been excellent...and being the '07 Truck of the Year is/was well deserved....you will love yours!! Thanks for helping to keep us working!!:wub:

I know I'm gonna' catch hell for this......

The 08's don't have great reviews...check it out.

You would be very smart to shop around. I have found the 2008 ride to be the worst Chevy yet! Unfortunatly the service bulitin list is growing daily. (I'm a service tech) My advice, stay away!

I know I'm gonna' catch hell for this......

The 08's don't have great reviews...check it out.

I just bought a new Silverado last night. Where were you guys yesterday morning? What kind of problems???:eek:

HMMMMMM.......I googled 2008 reviews, all good, so whats t he problem you are talkin about?

I haven't heard anything bad around here either....:huh: (and trust me...i hear it ALL!)

I havent heard anything bad either. i know a few guys theat have 08's and they are all pretty happy with them.

Can you guys elaborate with the problems and provide links for the reviews. I am purchasing this vehicle with the intention of not buying another truck for quite a few years. Also needing a crew cab to facilitate the new baby on the way. I have also looked at edmunds for their reviews and have read very few bad complaints. Thanks again for the input.

Eric

Go to gm-trucks.com and ask...

Just from what I'm hearin are minors not majors

Hope that got that intermediate steering shaft problem resolved:wacko:

I know the "new" redesigned shaft ain't worth two dead flies...after 5K on wifes truck, it's back worse than the original.

Quality engineering at it best...no zerk fitting.

I have a new one.. not one problem,,It rides great. traded the crew cab In. the Ex cab gets better millage but same great pull and ride..I recommend It have always had one and love them....

Personally i dont take what a site like GM-trucks or any others like it say as gospel. The percentage of trucks sold vs participants on the forum is very, very small and mostly consist of people into modding and such, not someone who is joe everyday driver. If you look at any of the various forums for any brand and its pretty much the same thing, your always going to read about problems and not much else. There is some great info at any of those sites and tips etc but i wouldnt base a purchace on something i read on one,if i did i wont think i would ever buy any truck.

Tee as far as the shaft thing goes, mine has been almost 20k since its replacement(only work ever done to mine aside from accident related body work) and its been fine. Mine never really ever clunked to begin with, the dealer replaced it as a proactive measure when it was in for the 25k service.

I have a 07 extended cab LTZ, and it is the finest, best riding, most comfortable ride I have ever owned, and I am not just talking about trucks. I have 10,000 miles on it with no problems, and the best mpg of any truck I have ever owned. Can't go wrong with a Chevy truck. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Well boys, it's a great truck. I have a 08 Chev 1500 ext cab 5.3 4x4. Before a 04 GMC 150,000 not a problem. I put on 36-40,000 a year, this new one is great to drive and get's about 17-19mpg on the highway. I run about 70 -80 mph if I slow down it's much better. Have not towed my boat yet but I think it will do just fine.

CJ

Well, I've driven one for all of one day and put on just over 100 miles and I think it's a great truck. Actually, it's my first pickup truck. I've always had either a SUV or a GMC Safari midi-van. I got 195k out of the Safari before I sold it and the Jeep had 214k so if this truck comes anywhere close to either of those two cars I'll be happy. Both cars had their issues; the GMC went through 3 wiper motors and countless altnatators and the Jeep had window regulator woes but for the most I was pleased with both of them.

Unfortunately, I bought the pickup the same day that gas busted 3 bucks a gallon all over OKC :eek: . I'm afraid I'm going to have a wreck because I can't take my eyes off the MPG read out. ;)

Harpo

I don't take those sites as gospel either but, when you see these posts on new vehicles...it always catches my attention.

And as far as the ISS on trucks form 99 to 07...your probably gonna have the "clunk" eventually whether it be 10K or 50K miles on it. I have heard that some don't have any trouble at all but, 75% or better do.

Don't get me wrong here guys...I like my GM's. I just get tired of them hiding behind TSB's (silent recall) when they should fix things right in the begining.

8 years with the same problem is a good example.

My old 94 still drives like new and has never had a steering issue whatsoever.

I thnk it has to do with the steeper angle of the steering shaft when most vehicles went to "cab foward" design.

The new shaft seems better than the original after about 5,000 miles but, it sounds as if it's coming back especially when it's cold in the mornings.

Still better than anything else out there.

As the old saying goes.....;)

my 01 Silverado ext cab had 106,500 miles on it , not one problem since I had it, as far as the Tundra, nice trucks, but speakin of the tailgate don't put anything heavy on it, it will collapse, because of that alone I wouldn't buy one, I not only need power and towing, but need a sturdy bed for heavy equipment too

I appreciate all your help and honesty guys. I had the steering shaft replaced in my truck about 4k ago and not problems yet, before that, it would vibrate the steering wheel so bad i thought i had thrown a wheel weight. Chevy replaced it no problem. As stated before, all makes have their own quirks and issues, so thanks again and if anybody knows a good dealer (likes to make a good deal and a fair trade price) in the Southern Maryland, let me know.

Thanks

Eric

Not really "silent recalls" but more "will fix as needed". Here's the story given to me by the dealer.....If they put out an APB on ISS clunk, every single owner of a silvy would want them fixed whether they needed it or not. There is no need to fix what ain't broke and you know how people are...heck, I'm the same way, I'd be droppin my rig off asap to get it fixed even if it wasn't clunking. Just so happens mine was, and after a test drive, the dealer replaced it. Likewise, my oil pressure gage started acting funky one day, I ignored it because I didn't want to take it in to the dealer, then my speedo goes haywire and after a little research find out that GM is replacing the cluster if you have 70k or less and your rig is less than 6 years old. Got a new cluster at the same time I got the ISS fixed. I'm a happy customer. You can't expect a perfect product every time but you can expect to be taken care of in a fair manner, my repairs were ALL out of warranty and were ALL done at no cost.

TOXIC

Mine were not...dealer covered part, I payed labor. GM should have covered it all...

BTW...I think the cluster is acting up too:(

TEE,.....C'mon dude,...Service Bulletins are NOT silent recalls....they're merely a FYI and "instruction sheets" for Dealers to use to fix something if a customer has an issue!! When I worked in the Service Parts Operations Cataloging group 15 years ago, we use to send out Bulletins to keep dealerships informed and TRAINED on how to fix stuff if a customer brought a vehicle in that needed servicing. Service Bulletins are an asset to the dealerships....they're NOT a method of hiding problems....they're the means by which they FIX problems! It's FAR easier and CHEAPER for a major mfgr to be upfront and FIX stuff than it is to try and HIDE it..a silent recall IMO is trying to "hide it"....a Service Bulletin is public information and the exact opposite of hiding problems!!

just stating facts.

BTW...you'll have the ISS problem before long...yes even on that 07'

Uh...Servive bulletins shouldn't last 8 years with the same problem.

Tox, my 2004 GMC is in the shop right now for the instrument cluster. I got a letter a month ago from GM explaining the issue and informing me of the coverage. Certainly not a "hidden" recall. It acted up on Monday. I was coming thru a small town with a 25 MPH limit and the speedo said I was doing 50. I about had a heart attack then realized there was no way I was going 50. I bought mine in September of 04 and have not had any real problems other than the 4WD unit had to be reprogramed. I've always been a Ford truck guy (sorry Mac ;)) but I'd buy another GM. :wub:

Is there extended coverage on the ISS, or am I stuck with the bill if it starts making noise?

Gene

Well, this thread is going just about as expected ... :wacko:.

Extract "Siverado" and insert any other make and the thread would be the same ... ;).

My only beef with these service bulletins, etc are that they also indicate known problems that an owner can expect and will suffer, but my perception is that the manufacturers are hoping that the problem will not surface until after the warranty period. Sorry, don't make them, only drive them, but I've been doing that long enough that it would be hard to convince me otherwise. Kind of like the thinking Ford did with the Pinto only with less devastating consequences.

Gene, depends on your mileage.....Less than 70k and it should be covered just like my 2004.

Marty, not true....My truck is out of warranty (3/36) as a 2004. Chevy didn't have to do squat to fix either one of my problems. Now would Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, or any other manufacturer? I don't know. They certainly could say 3/36 is all ya get!! I've got an 4 year old truck with 60k and Chevy fixed me free. And I can tell you this...if that cluster or ISS goes out again, since it got replaced once, I will expect it to get replaced again (in a nice kinda way).

TEE, your a handy dude...there is a cheap way to fix the clusters I'm told (and what year is your truck again???:lol:). And there is a re-set procedure that works on some units. Something like taking the truck out of park with the key on but no engine running, then turn it on-of 3 or 4 times without starting.

TOXIC

Tee,..I lease my stuff...never keep it for more than 18-20mos max..(it's a job perk...I can get "pool" vehicles that have been driven by execs and save $$$$$$ money on leasing those)..I'll have my truck for another 6-8 mos. and it's gone...I'll get an '08! I have 26,000 miles on it now and it's never been back to the dealer for anything yet,..I hope that trend continues, 'cuz going to the dealer for anything is a PIA for me..it's just not convenient! ..Oh, and if you're going to state "facts", that's cool...but PLEASE make sure they're ACCURATE!! A Service bulletin is NOT a silent recall and THAT is a FACT Jack! Now the same problem for 7-8 years?? That sucks...but I have not had the misfortune of experiencing that clunk "yet", and if I do, you can bet the dealership will fix it for FREE, cuz it'll still be under warranty (another reason I lease......I'm never without a warranty).....but that's neither here nor there. The bottom line is,..a TSB is NOT a recall!!;)

Didn't actually say that it was:lol: (parenthesis are not counted)

Don't get me started on "other" inherent prob's that GM's are known to have but, we won't get into that....

Like I said,"still the best out there" and please..no one take offense to my rantings as I have been called an a$$hole perfectionist:lol:

How can you say my experience and perception aren't true? However, I believe that a scientifically valid survey would support my perception/hypothesis. Some of these things are dealer dependent to be sure; I've had experience with one dealer where I got something fixed after the warranty expired, but others not [domestic and foreign dealers]. In fact, after the invention of the Internet [bless Al Gore], I was able to see that one thing I paid Mazda to fix twice was actually sent to Mazda dealers as a bulletin before warranty expiration and the dealer said squat. In my experience Ford has and Ford has not given me a freebie after the warranty; Chevy has not; Mazda has and has not.

I don't know how Tee defines silent recall, but I'll bet manufacturers send bulletins to dealers informing them of a problem, leave it up to the dealers to cover or not, or even say "this isn't a recall, but if you get this problem, fix it and cover it."

Very true...all dealers are different. I still don't understand why they charged me labor when most are getiing fixed for free?:huh:

My Yukon XL has the clunk. It doesnt bother me, but I saw a post a while back about the TSB regarding it and inquired at the dealership. I was told it would not be covered for my year/model any longer.....so I didnt take it in. I was told that there is not a safety issue with it so there is no recall. Like I said it doesnt bother me any, as a matter of fact I can hardly hear it.

I do still have the gas sending unit recall to take it in for. i dont need it done becuase I paid to have it done. My brother was working parts at a chevy dealer and I had him get the part I needed and had a mechanic put it in after work for some beer and some cash. No receipt, no reimbursment....so no need to take it in for that.

Dude...I drove one here the other day that is a lady friends here at work and DANG...it was rediculous! I never seen one that bad....it's in the shop today.

Mac...no offense dude but, YOU know how big a GM fan I really am BUT, when someone here at work(and there's a lot) comes up to me and asks about "certain" problems..I HAVE to be honest:eek:

So let me know how you really feel LMAO!!! Thanks for the inputs, and i won't bring this up again LOL. Now which model should I get, the LTZ or the LT2... no just kidding.:lol:

Have a great day

Eric

Hey guys,......this is exactly what is so COOL about this board........you get HONEST answers and feedback and nobody get's really p-o'd or hammered on!! If we've experienced something good or bad, whether it's about a car, truck, boat, motor or a gps...we'll tellya!! I'm just a GM fan and have been for my whole life....and I have been working FOR them for 25 years, so I'm a little "biased" about our stuff..it's how and where I make my living....but I'm not an idiot either (STFU Mini)...I know Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, and the Euro's all make good stuff now, we HAVE to to compete and survive,..and as stated numerous times we can ALL have issues at some point in time. It's the nature of any man-made object and Murphy's number 1 rule...if something can break..it WILL, eventually.

Deffinitely bring up other questions if you have'em.....everybody learns something from it!! Now...as far as the LTZ or the LT..............get the LTZ...it's what makes a pimp a PIMP!!;):lol::p:cool:

TEE,..no offense taken man...I've known you toooo long to get red-faced over your psycho-babble!! Just get your hiney up here this year to fish!!!:rolleyes::D:D

Willlllllldo capan!;)

I agree...if there's one thing you'll get on this board is diversity:lol:

Now I need a beer....

BASSER5150, no offense man, but maybe you guys are creating issues, here where I live most Chevy dealers struggle for work(the techs), i know I NEVER take my truck or the wifes Equinox to a dealer, other than to buy one, i got screwed twice by dealer mechanics, ended up takin to an honest one man shop, and been goin there ever since, not sayin your like that, but it happened to me at 2 different dealers, hmmmmm, thats what voice recorders are for:eek:

I meant it wasn't true in my case Marty and the reason is two fold. #1 I was out of warranty, they did not have to fix squat #2 How you interact with your dealer is paramount. I was told straight up by the dealer that whether or not it would cost me anything for the repair depended on a lot of things (did I buy the vehicle there? Have I bought other vehicles there? Am I a sevice customer there?) and I would guess if I am an azzhole to the service departmentmanager:lol::lol::lol: Truth be told that statement is probably closer to the truth. So, what I am saying is that it is not scientific, it is a dealers descretion. Chevy doesn't own their dealers, they are independent businessmen. And I agree that every dealer has some degree of descretion, so in that light you are right.

TOXIC

Well, it's not like I'm anti-GM. If they ever build a truck as good as the F150 and I'm in the market for a new truck, I will consider them. Heck, Ford's exposed their 2009 F150 and I can't figure out why anyone would buy a 2008 F150 or 2008 anything, for that matter.

Keep Em-6 Months and get a nother..No Problems...I want a new Camero Covertible with the most HP I can get ..I want It In Febuary 09,Lease Is up then on the SS..MAC get on It..Can't wait untill 2010..Need for Speed...I hear I acn get It to 525 HP with the computor tune up at the dealer??????? Hope so...JR:)

I TOO AM A SERVICE TECH AT A GM DEALER. ANY NEW VEHICLE IS GOING TO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS JUST BECAUSE THE FACTORYS SPEND TOO MUCH TIME DESIGNING THE VEHICLES AND NOT ENOUGH TIME

WORKING OUT ALL OF THE BUGS. AS FOR THE RIDE, I REALLY CANT COMPARE TO OTHER MANUFACTURES

BECAUSE I ONLY OWN GM AND I ONLY WORK ON GM. I LOVE THE WAY THE NEW TRUCKS RIDE AND HANDLE. I STILL DRIVE AN 88 CHEV PU. NEW TRKS COMPARED TO THAT ARE A DREAM. I THINK A LOT

OF THE PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAVE WITH THEIR VEHICLES ARE SOMETIMES CAUSED BY THE WAY PEOPLE DRIVE. ALSO, PEOPLE GET VERY PICKY WHEN THEY SPEND 40K PLUS, ON A VEHICLE. THEY EXPECT IT

TO BE PERFECT, THAT JUST AINT GONNA HAPPEN ALL OF THE TIME.

BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT FEELS COMFORTABLE TO YOU. AS FAR AS DEALER TECHS, WE HAVE A GREAT SHOP WITH A GREAT BUNCH OF TECHS, 22 TO BE EXACT. WE ARE THE NO. ONE GM SERVICE DEPT IN MN. THE PROBLEM WITH DEALERSHIPS IS, MOST OF THE OWNERS ARE VERY GREEDY, THUS

RAISING THE LABOR RATE TO GET AS MUCH MONEY FROM PEOPLE AS THEY CAN. THEY COMPENSATE FOR

THIS BY PROVIDING SHUTTLE SERVICE, COFFEE AND DONUTS IN THE WAITING ROOM, CABLE OR SATELITE TV, INTERNET ACCESS, ETC. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON. THE POINT IS THIS ALL COSTS MONEY, AND THEY TRANSFER THAT COST TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. SURE YOU CAN GO TO JOE BLOW DOWN THE ROAD FOR $50 AN HR. BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. EVERYONE ALWAYS ENDS COMING BACK TO US BECAUSE JOE BLOW WAS UNABLE TO FIX THEIR CAR AFTER THEY SPENT 500 ON SHOTGUN SHELLS, (PARTS)..

I'm not sure why you think this has taken an unlikable turn? Dealers, mechanics, etc need to hear the feedback and listen to it. I think most of us understand the mechanics [pun intended] of the finances involved with repair costs. I, for one, understand that the guy down the street might not be the most knowledgeable on fixing my vehicle so I take it to the dealer. For me, I find it reprehensible that dealers don't seem to understand that I consider the repair costs expensive and want my vehicle fixed right the first time. Days off while the mechanic probes for the problem or tells me I have to come back because their "just in time" parts process means the part gets ordered after the dealer determines a need for the part just doesn't cut it. Do I expect perfection? No, but I expect honest effort and someone taking responsibilities for shortfalls. I have a dream today; that one day I will go into a repair shop waiting room and I am the only one complaining; I have a dream today; that one day I will go into a repair shop and all the customers are happy and fulfilled; I have a dream today.

I guess this thread got a little off the main subject but I would like to offer a comment concerning the "tech". Those times I have had to take any of my vehicles in for service, whether routine maintenance, warranty repair or anything else I NEVER got to talk to the tech or even get a chance to look at my vehicle in the shop. I was always addressed by the service manager. The unfortunate thing is that the techs are generally told by the service managers what should be done and then they (the service managers) determine what the costs, if any should be or whether it should be covered under warranty, If you have a complaint it shouldn't be taken out on the tech but on the service manager and the manager of the service department. THERE job is to be profitable and their compensation is based on profitability and not the tech.

My opinion only!

Bass5150: You seem to take my comments as a personal attack against you; I don't know you from Adam, so I think that response from you is inappropriate. I certainly never questioned your credentials nor your personal performance. I also never said that a tech's job was to rip people off. As to whether or not I build personal relationships with my techs isn't at issue. As a point of reference, I stopped going to one Ford dealer simply because the service manager changed on my regular Saturday mornings to a man who always managed to find a "you need such and such" on every visit. I am not a certified tech by any stretch, but if I change my air filter on Wednesday, no way I need another one on the following Saturday. Plus, you surely realize that in many dealerships a "rep" isolates you from the "tech." If that is what is required to get good service or get work done properly, then something is wrong. I do my job correctly regardless of who is being helped. That is what I get paid to do. My service is the same to everyone; some folks don't get A+ effort or a little extra because they were charming; others don't get less because they weren't charming. No personal relationship is required. I do my job the same for everyone. If the engineering is wrong, then the manufacturer should have mechanisms in place to fix things once the vehicle has left the plant and willingly suck it up. But all of that is neither here nor there; how many GM trucks are "winking" down the road after warranty because GM can't get the running light issue fixed--at no cost to the owner? 53000 miles in my FISO with the lights on whenever the motor is running and not a single light burnout.

One day I will take the time to explain this all to you, but I won't waste my time tonight. The short version is, Marty you probably don't have a $100,000.00 worth of tools and equipment to work on everybodies cars? Basser150, don't leave it's a great site. Don't blame the people that have to fix whats broken.

BF

I know that I should just shut up about this, but I need to say 2 more cents worth. Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, etc., none are perfect and they all have their problems. I like GM products, period. My advice that I always tell friends and relatives and customers when they ask me what they should buy. YOU need to figure out what you want, Y0UR the one thats going to be paying for it and driving it. If your buying a new vehicle, Its best to buy it from the dealer that, 1. you trust, 2. they are close to your home. If you do have problems, you do not want to be driving a long distance to bring your vehicle back for warranty work. Also, it may cost a little bit more, but, get your oil changes and tire rotations done at the same dealer. Why, you ask, because if you build a friendship with the service consultants and managers, after your vehicle is out of warranty, they will be more willing to help you when something really bad happens. Someone talked about the customers not being able to talk to the techs? That sounds like a shop that is destined for failure. At my place of employment, us techs are always going for rides with customers to understand their concern better. We are always being asked to explain what the problem is to the customer. Also, if the customer wants, we will bring them out to the shop and let them see for themselves, exactly what the problem is. One thing people need to realize is this, at most repair shops, dealers or aftermarket shops, the tech is not getting paid if they are standing around talking to customers or going on road tests with the customer. Most shops pay their techs on a flat rate basis. For instance, just about every job that is done to a car has a set amount of time that it will take to repair the car. Example: oil change, .4 of an hour, rotate tires, .5 of an hour., diagnosis charges vary from shop to shop, driveablility problems usually start at 1.0 hour. If it takes the tech longer to do the job than what the flat rate pays, the tech does not get paid any more, period. Warranty time is always lower than customer pay work and when the tech is unable to duplicate the concern, more often than not, that tech will not get paid anything at all. BASSER5150 was right when he said that the tech working on your vehicle is your best friend, because if you have a nasty problem, he will either save you or spit your vehicle back outside. We, as techs, do not like the way we are paid, for the most part. We do not get to decide, the owners and the unions have already made that decision for us, so that they can all collect as much as possible and pay out as little as possible. I wish that we could get paid hourly, it would be better for us, (the techs) and the customers. However, the owners would never agree because they would say that they would be losing too much money.

I could really go on and on, but the reason this discussion was started has kinda been lost. Eric, all I own are GM products as I stated earlier. 88 chev pu 289k, 95 olds silhoute van 192k, 01 chev impala 156k. Have I had to spend a little money to keep them going, you bet! Will you like a 07/08 GM truck, YOU BET!!! Is it possible that you may have some problems with it? More than likely you will, but if you take care of your vehicle, it will last a long time and you will like driving it. I also promise you, any other make of truck WILL have problems, I don't care what it is!!!

I looked at the message title and decided not to even read any of the post because I thought it would probably start something. BUT, just a little while ago I opened it up and started at the bottom for some reason.:wacko: It didn't take long until I saw that Basser5150 has decided to leave the site because of something that someone said. I tried to look at his member profile so to maybe send him an e-mail telling him that if he liked this site it would be silly to leave it. I couldn't do that because his profile and library are empty. So I don't know if he's really bailed or not but if you did leave Basser, like I was going to say in an e-mail, it's pretty darn silly and childish to do that over what I read. Someone is POing someone else quite often but it doesn't last here on NTOWS but if you do stay miffed at one person, just don't talk to them anymore. That's how easy it all is.. Look at Toxic and me! I haven't talked to him for years and when he gets e-mail or phone calls from me it's really my best blow-up female friend, ahem, ISIS. So, quit being angry and stay around. It really is a great site!

Uncle Billy

Ok, I now went to the top and read the entire thread like a big boy would. I've had a few problems with dealerships but have always blamed the owner or service writer, never the technician.

The last problem I had was with Koons Ford. People from around my area know who I mean.

My F-150 needed a new clutch. I made an appointment and dropped it off that morning and my neighbor picked me up. My neighbor also took me to get it at 4:00 p.m., the time they said it would be ready and they hadn't even looked at it all day. I was angry but kept it in check. Yea, yes I did.:unsure: So, I left it there with the promise that it would be taken care of first thing in the morning. My neighbor drove me home and then drove me back there at 4:30 p.m. and guess what? Right, they still haven't looked at it. Now, I was angry and asked for my truck back. One of the service guys said to give him a minute, "I'll drive it in the shop and see what it is and how long it will take." I told him it wasn't an easy and fast fix and so did the service writer (young guy) who wrote it up yesterday. This one disappears for 15 minutes and reappears with my truck. He goes inside then comes back out and I ask for my keys after he had the nerve to ask me to leave it there another day.:huh: I asked for my keys and he said they were inside at the cashiers. I didn't put two and two together right then so I went to the cashier and asked for my keys and she handed me a printout and asked for $35. I asked for what and she told me it was for a diagnostic procedure. When he said "I'll drive it in the shop and see" was their diagnostic procedure. That's when I flipped out, totally! I yelled, screamed and hollered that I wanted my keys. Then the young service writer started getting smart with me while grinning and laughing at my plight. I told my neighbor to call Nancy and have her bring spare keys to me. On hearing that the young service writer went and got my keys but not to give to me but to put my truck inside where I couldn't get to it. I was leaning against the drivers door of my truck and he "told" me to move and that's when I just laughed at him. He asked again and when I said no he grabbed my left arm to pull me away and that's when I hit him as hard as I could and man it was a good shot.:D He went down and I put a knee in his chest and hit him again and asked for my keys. Three or four other Koon's employees started edging toward us so I hit the guy again and told the others that for every step they came toward me I was going to hit the one I had on the ground. It seems like two seconds later a police car appeared. He made me get off of the guy and the minute I started to let him up he tried to kick me so the cop got mad at him. Everyone started talking at once and then the cop told me I had to pay for work they did. I explained they hadn't done any work for two days and I wanted my truck. The older service writer then showed the policeman the diagnostic ticket and the policeman told me I owed them $35.00. I then asked the officer to look at the bottom of the diagnostic work order and see if I had signed anything. When he saw that I didn't sign anything he ordered them to give me my keys. They did so but went berserk at the same time which the officer didn't like. They then said they wanted me arrested for assault and battery for hitting that service writer. Charlie, my neighbor, and two couples who had been looking at cars came forward and said the service writer grabbed me first and I was just defending myself. The police officer then called it "mutual combat", and told me I could leave and if I had anymore trouble from Koons Ford, just come by Police Headquarters and get a copy of his report that would be heavily slanted in my favor.:p I had someone else take care of the clutch and haven't been back to Koons at all. That's my memory of dealership service and that along with two other dealerships Chevrolet) trying to screw me, I'll stay with my local guy<

We've all been flamed here at some time or another. If Basser5150 can't take the heat then the kitchen door is open. I don't have much respect for someone who states "To the owner of this form. Please remove me from this as a member ASAP!" Nobody has to remove crap, just go away and never post again if you are that thin skined, nobody's gona come looking for you. Kinda makes you wonder what kind of Tech he is if he can't communicate any better than that. KW sounds like the kinda person I want working on my rig!! We are passionate about our vehicles so we take bad or substandard service personally, at least I do. And we all would like to think we made the smartest choice when buying them. Sometimes threads get reduced to personal attacks and that is wrong but I don't see where that happened in this case.

And Unk....remind me never to work on you truck for any reason whatsoever!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Whoa!

This thread definitely went the wrong direction here.

As Tox and most of us know...we all like discussions, especially "in depth" discussions...but, we don't tolerate attacks.

In the Great Words from the Movie USED CARS..... The Prices of all them Vehicles are TO F&%&%& ING HIGH...JR:eek:

No, I don't have $100,000 worth of tools; I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China[?]. And I ask that question in the politest manner, but I didn't see an icon for polite.

What attack? The only way I could possibly have issued a personal attack on Basser5150 would be if he happended to be the Saturday service manager who tends to find hidden problems; and what are the chances that he is that guy? I've re-read my posts and quite honestly don't see anything that was a personal attack on Basser5150. If someone can point it out, I will gladly review the statement and correct it or withdraw it. Now, if my assessment of the whole car buying and maintaining process based on my experiences and those of friends and total strangers with whom I've comiserated is offensive to those within the "organization" I can't help that nor will I apologize for that.

Sorry, I find problems with a system that says you have to search to find that special guy who will take care of your vehicle the way it should be; or that you need to charm them and become their buddy; or that you need to go to the same church; or use the same fishing rods; or whatever other non-mechanically related standard.

Marty i did not see any personal attacks in your posts, as with me I wasn't attacking him either, I was just sayin I had 2 different dealer issues with Mechanics, so i no longer go there unless its warranty work,I just didn't agree with basser5150 when he said shop around cuz the 08 is the worst truck they made yet, I didn't see any issues with the 08's,and I rode in one,and was very impressed:unsure:

Oh good; I'm not above attacking people, I just want to make sure I know when I'm doing it. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

FISO rules!!

I have had Gm products for 30 years. I bought all my GM cars and trucks from one Chevy dealer in Denver, CO. Burt Chevy. They have always done any service job right the first time, never a problem. I always walk back to where they are working on the vecihle and talk to the Tech. and they have always showed me what was happening and explained what needed to be done. I have tried another Chevy dealer once in CO. but the tech. came back with a list of things that needed done. Which I took the list and brought it to Burt Chevy and there was nothing on that list that needed to be done in their opinion. The nice part of Burt Chevy is that they have a huge warehouse for parts, so I have never heard from them that they needed to order a part. I don't mind paying more if the job is done right. There are bad apples in every industry and aspect of life. The Chevy truck I have now is a 1998 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 150,000 miles still runs great can't complain,,,knock on wood,,LOL. I now live AZ. but I will still buy my new vecihles from Burt Chevy and have them to the service when I go back to visit the kids if there is a problem. I don't rate a vechile by what problems they have but by how the Company backs them when there is a problem.

yeeoowww good thread!!!

I like my GM, problems, maybe, but it is a truck, I use my truck and I fix my truck.....

Same as my boat, I use it, I break it, I fix it.....

Sure have enjoyed this thread though, is it spring yet Mini????

As soon as any vehicle I own is out of warranty I get away from the dealer service and start going to an independent that I trust.

Back