2004 NTOWS Rally!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
I really liked Kentucky Lake and The Moors!

Should we ask Shirley to hold rooms for us on the weekend of April 17th and 18th, 2004?

Rotation is the key. I think that's what makes it so much fun is the fact that we rotate to give members a oppertunity to experience this from different areas of the country.

Buzz

I agree with Buzz about rotating the location for the rally. I thought it was cool that the guys got together at Lake Fork at the same time. I'm all for a couple of regional rallies. I would like to see a rally at St.Clair or Winni next year. Winni is closer for me, but I could lose an eyebrow or two in Michigan!!

Bob G.

Michigan doesn't sound bad... Can we look at a date a little later in the year though? I would have liked to go to this year's tourney but the dates were bad for me...

Forget Michigan - Lake Lanier Georgia! That way we can see if Rob and Mac can REALY catch fish outside their backyard!!!

I think Kentucky Lake would have to be considered south. Champlain, Northeast....now what direction on the compass do we want to head twords. That should then determineit. I know the CA guys would love to have one out their way but for the same reasons they could not come to ours, we could not get to theirs. For the maximum # of participants it should be somewhat centrally located. Somebody is almost always going to have it in their backyard and they should play a big role in the planning. That being said, where do y'all wanna go?????

TOXIC

Michigan wouldn't be bad, down in Tox's neck of the woods would be o.k., or Kentucky. As long as it is 10 hours or less from Pittsburgh, I will make the trip!

Rich D

Yeah, the Potomac would be nice but I'm afraid that there would be some lost props and lower units. Tidal rivers are tricky. That would not be fun. Lake Anna though having some monster bass is a very, very tough lake to fish. Lake Gaston.....Buggs Island/Kerr Reservoir (same body of water in 2 states), Lets see....Dale Hollow (I always wanted to fish there), then there's Stick Marsh or Okachobee in FL (yeah, like my wife's gonna let me go to sunny FL fishing...LOL) and we could do some side trips offshore. I'm just typing out loud here...more suggestions?

TOXIC

Rich, I have to drive near Pittsburgh on my way west. So, if they they go to the mid-west part of the country, I'll pick you up.

Believe me, it's worth the 14 hour trip from Johnstown to go to MO or somewhere in that part of the country. It's even better when you have someone to travel with.

Lake of the Ozarks, Truman, Grand Lake (Oklahoma....eh Harpo?), Texoma....Then there's MEXICO!!!! Yeah Baby!!! That's what I'm talkin about!! 12, 13, 14, 15, 16-17 pounders,,,WooooooHooooo.

Sorry about that, I lost control for a second.

TOXIC

Someone had suggested a while back to have regional rallies, maybe 2-3 a year and have a big rally every two years at either nitro/tracker heaven in missouri or in georgia near our founders home. i like that idea. actually we have enough members to have more than 2-3 regional rallies. getting people to organize and participate is the key.

I think Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota would be a great lake for the northern area. The bass here are very plentiful and 5-6 pounders is common.

Michigan has a "Bass Season". It starts on the last Saturday in May...Except on Lake St Clair, its the third Saturday in June...

of course it all up to my club dates but I would love to go, think south is nice since all us northerers are whating for warm water in spring S.C or georga, tenn or arkansas , figure if I could afford it lay lake (ever how ya spell it) in ALA. dont know dont care just hope I can be there next year.

Wherever we choose it should be as early as possible. That gives the coordinators time to get things planned out. I'm game for anything within 6 hours of me. My problem is the guide service. Clients and $$$ come first (so my wife tells me).

TOXIC

What I learned in the last year.....

The big question should be "Who is gonna do the Legwork?"

Brian,

Sounds good! At the very least, we could convoy! Is the PA mini rally at Raystown still in the works?

Rich D

What about Pennsylvania? Ohio? Iowa? I looked at the member list and a PA Rally would be easy for NY, NJ, PA, OH, and the VA/DC folks.... That is hundreds of members... Just a thought...

I thought KY lake worked out well and is centrally located. I'm all for it again or Dale Hollow or Cumberland. I think we need to have a few different regional rallies. There's now way to get everyone to put forth the effort to travel half way across the country all on the same weekend.

And it's tough to find a facility on a lake as well suited as the Moors is.

Just my 2 cents....

If there is going to be a repeat location, I vote for Champlain........Otherwise, I tend to prefer Northern locations. Can't beat the clear clean water, beautiful scenery, and warm welcome. PA, MI, OH, IN, MN, WI, any where that is within 6 hours. Not to say that I won't go South though.

TOXIC

I agree with Scott and have said this myself many times in the past.....The Rally will be in the back yard of the first person to stand up and say:

"I will host the Rally at this location."

As far as regional rallies...If you live close enough to someone to fish with them, then just call eachother up and go. I think the term "Rally" should be reserved for annual, huge blow out, no holds bard, come if can, A$$ KICKN' weekend.

Marke

Marke,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and hosting next year's rally at St.Clair!!! See ya there!

Bob G.

Rich:

What year did the site launch?

My vision of the "perfect" Rally would be held in an anniversary year (Are we coming up on, say, the 5th anniversary of the NTOWS?) on Table Rock.

Lodging would be at any number of resorts or hotels in Branson (go $$$$$ or go $, there are lots of options).

On the Friday of the Rally, there would be a welcome tent set up in the parking lot of BPS-Springfield for participants to check-in, afterwhich they could shop and peruse the Mother Ship to their hearts content - or take a 50 minute drive to the Lebanon, MO are for tours of the Tracker/Nitro factories. Its also a short 45-minute drive from Springfield to Branson for the evening.

On Saturday there would be pre-fishing and general rabble-rousing. Those who want to fish would have the whole day to explore Table Rock or Taney or even Bull Shoals. Family members who don't care to fish could shop outlet malls, attend shows, or hit the go-cart and mini-putt and bungee cord venues. That evening there would be an opportunity for groups to go out to various restaraunts for dinner and good commaraderie.

On Sunday there would be two tournaments - one for bass and one for "other" species (including trout on Taneycomo for those of us who aren't too afraid to scrape a bottom on the gravel). Launch from Table Rock State Park and Cooper Creek Access. Weigh-in at 3:00 pm, followed by dinner at Big Cedar Lodge, or a big 'ol barbeque at Table Rock State Park. Awards, roasting, burping, belching and (censored) until they run us off.

Monday morning, pack up, shake hands take a few more pictures and head for home.

I will host the rally IF we go back to Kentucky Lake..... It'll be a LOT easier the second time around!

MO, nice post and a lotta thought but my idea of a "fishing rally" is not carnival and restaurants and other "activities" that detract from the fishing. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and take vacations with them every year (some involve fishing) but fishing is my world. I wanna drink beer (or whatever) tell stories and fish. Bonding with some of the other guys from the board in a way that only fishermen (and women, don't want to be accused of being sexist also) can do. I really don't want that to sound bad but I can't be TOXIC if the wife and youngest child are along. I might bring my son because I think he's ready for it now. That's why I go to Champlain for a week with 7 or 9 other guys. I don't have to shave if I don't want to, I don't have to shower if I don't want to (but they make me). It's a totally different "atmosphere". Everything is second to fishing and commraderie. Sounds like the Moors was a good in-between and I wish I could have made it. If my schedule had allowed, I would have gone. I guess the best thing to compare it to would be camp Neeley....anyone remember those posts. I want to get away from it all, not get in the middle of it, if you know what I mean. Let my hair down, get out the bic and have some fun.

TOXIC

The Rally at the Moors was exactly what you wanted it to be... We had space for the guys to hang out and swap lies and we had families that came to do their thing... The Moors had a big lodge (motel like rooms) with a "great room" that we could use at night and they had cabins for families. It was an excellent facility. There are similar resorts near Mark Twain (hassle of launching every day since the resorts are not on the lake). Any place we go it is the "model" of what we want. And, at the Moors the "price was right". I completely understand why Scott suggests a repeat, it was a very good place.

Camp Neeley is in a league of it's own Brutha......women and children are strictly forbidden!! That's hallowed, sacred ground up there,...the place is infested with venison backstraps,..fish filets,..duck and pheasant breasts,...elk steaks...potatoes, veggies, bacon, eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, coffee, bourbon,..scotch, Rum, Tequila, beer, limes, gunpowder, compound bows and broadheads, rifles, shotguns, pistols and knives...bassboats and pick-up trucks,..pocket change for the card games and more lies than a campaign stop!! It's a religeous experience man! C'mon FALL!!!!!!!!! LOL

Appreciate Toxic's sensitivity to women. Did you know I would be reading this? Ha! Don't worry, I won't crash your rally. Seems more appropriate for Boys Night Out.

You got it Mac....That's what Champlain is to us. I'm not discounting the "family" experience, but for those who have never experienced it......well, lets just say it's our way of not being domesticated too much. Maybe that's too "hard core" for a rally.

Someday I hope to be worthy of an invite to camp Neeley or even the testosterone room!!

TOXIC

Where's Pierre we should have a gathering in Canada sometime. Lets go international. Beverly Lake, Charlston Lake, Seeley's Bay there's thousands of lakes there and most have extremely good populations of bass.

Someday??!!...You better get your hiney to the NEXT one!!

I need a cigar buddy to burn with......the weather is finally warm enough now to go have on on the back deck!! LOL

I can't do them in the house!! (Even the Testosteroom is branded as no-smoking,...unless of course the Mrs. and the kids are gone for ohhh say a week!!!aahahaaah) I am planning another bash in the near future though,...to celebrate a few things....B-Day,..Anniversary,..new Hot foot in the new Ranger,...and some other stuff that shall remain "confidential" until further notice!! Get the gov't to fly you to MI!!..We have reason to hit the "deck" for a 'gar!!!

Mac

Hey Mac,I just spotted Martha Burk heading north with a "camp Neeley or bust" sign on the back of her car(lol)

One of the very best things about this year's rally was that it was NOT just a "Boy's Night Out".

This is NOT a "Big Boys Only" sport.

The Moors was ideal for everyone to come. You would have loved it, Teri!

I'll volunteer to set it up again next year at The Moors - anyone else want to take on the task somewhere else?

Thanks Mac, even if I have to drive up solo for a weekend I'll be lookin forward to it.

And Teri, I put that in because women are always welcome. It's just that they are not always glad they came!!

As Mac likes to say, "If you can't run with the big dogs, don't even get off of the porch"!!!

TOXIC

I would help out with a Pa area rally.I'm not very good at planning,but I would help any way possible.I heard the classic might be in Pittsburgh Pa in 2005.Maybe a good time for a Pa rally?

a Rally is totally different....women and kids should be included IMHO,...but the Camp Neeley gig is the "Augusta National" of West Branch!!!...LOL

Mac,Any inside info on the Pittsburgh classic or is it just a rumor.I'm all pumped to see the big dogs fish my home waters

I have NO idea Steve,....BASS won't announce anything about the '04 Classic until the last day of the '03 Classic which is in New Orleans again this summer......can't wait!!!

10/4 thanks Mac,it would be awsome.Two brand new stadiums right beside the river,and miles and miles of water to fish.

I get it, Tox.

No...really, I do. I take four or five trips like that a year. For my January trip, the reminder card says something like this -

"You are invited to: Fish...drink beer....smoke cigars....drink beer....fish....play cards....drink beer.....fish.....drink beer.....lose money....fish.....tell lies.....fish..... (oh, and drink beer)."

I wasn't saying that that my ideal Rally would be everyone's ideal. But seeing pictures of kids fishing made me think that some guys might like to go (and their spouses might let them) if the whole family could go along.

My next "testosterone trip" is next month. No beer this time, however. Only Seagrams....straight...and fine cigars.

I couldn't have said it any better than Greg and Scott. The Moors was a "perfect" facility. I do alot of the beer drinking, lie telling, boys only trips myself each year all over the country. It's pretty rare to have a nice place to take the family along where they have a good time and I get all the fishing in I want. Everything is right there on the water.

Scott's volunteered. My vote is for him to do another great job.

Jeff

I did a little research and there is what seems to be a similar resort on Raystown lake here in PA. I have attached the link. With the seasons in PA, I think September might be the best month if we did it here the water skiers will be down, but it will be warm enough for other outdoor activities. Opinions?

Actually,to give credit, Brian F. started this idea as a PA mini rally for this year.
http://www.raystownresort.com/

Rich,

That is too funny... find my post 2004 Rally Part Deux... Same lake and facility was suggested by a friend of mine yesterday and I posted it last night.

Mac,

2..that's right...TWO Camp Neeley outings are planned for this year...the first one will be mid-May for mushroom hunting.

That one will be a family event.

Bring the wife and kids if you're not busy fishing.

Bauer will be there, maybe Brunner, and a few other regulars.

The fall trip, anyone from the board that wants to come is welcome....tentative dates will probably be the right at the end of October for bow-hunting, burd hunting, and fishing.

Whoever's interested, let me know....my vacation home is about 2 1/2 hours north of Detroit or you could fly into Saginaw which is only 45 minutes away.

Mac,

2..that's right...TWO Camp Neeley outings are planned for this year...the first one will be mid-May for mushroom hunting.

That one will be a family event.

Bring the wife and kids if you're not busy fishing.

Bauer will be there, maybe Brunner, and a few other regulars.

The fall trip, anyone from the board that wants to come is welcome....tentative dates will probably be the right at the end of October for bow-hunting, burd hunting, and fishing.

Whoever's interested, let me know....my vacation home is about 2 1/2 hours north of Detroit or you could fly into Saginaw which is only 45 minutes away.

Ken,

Welcome back!! Long time , no hear. How's everything?

Bob G.

Pretty good....haven't been on much lately. Got home from Kentucky Lake and had branches down all over so I've been doing some clean-up.

Jonathan's unit is in Baghdad now...they are doing door-to-door searches for the "Most Wanted", Baath members, regime hold-outs, etc.

He just left Al-Najaf after almost 2 weeks there...only 2 fire-fights for his unit there, one that lasted over 6 hours...his 135 man unit ran into 600 Fedayeen fighters, called in airstrikes, and promptly defeated them. He had 2 mortars land within 15 meters of his position, but he himself has taken no enemy fire, thank God.

Ken,

Glad Jonathan is ok and hope for a safe return for him and the rest of our military forces.

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back