2003 Rally Dates Chosen!!!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
It must have something to do with the boys from New England wanting to get away from the ice and snow.....

April 12th and 13th!

Each of the dates had 2 votes.

7 votes went to any April date.

Nitro640 was the deciding vote with April 12/13 or May 3/4.

Now, has anyone actually stayed at any location on Kentucky Lake? Please give me positive experiences to check out and negatives to stay away from.

Boys and Girls, were goin' fishin'!

me!

Early April is good for big uns. Weather is usually mild but might have some rain or wind (but that is any weekend until mid-July).

Bear

Thanks for the links, TT! Appreciate your efforts, but I've already been to all of them.....

First Hand Experiences is what I'm looking for.

me!

Something to ponder...

We may want to consider houseboats as well...

Many of the resorts rent them. Based on the dates we have chosen, the price will still be the "off-season" rate...Last time I went we rented from Green Turtle Bay on northern Barkley for around $1100 for a week. Had four double beds and a fold-out couch, so could easily sleep 6.

It sure saves you lots of time "running" from your base camp to your honey hole! We achored the houseboat in one of the northern bays on Barkley out of the prevailing winds. Caught tons of fish! Biggest was 5lbs. Other advantage is that you can park the houseboat on the "Land Between the Lakes" side of either Kentucky or Barkley. There are basically no permanent folks living there as it is all State Park Land. Very quiet and scenic! One last point: If you stay on the "public" side of the lake and the wind starts to blow, you may not be able to cross to the Land Between the Lakes side (best fishing).

az

I fish out of Paris Landing on Kentucky Lake sometimes. It has a large public ramp with lots of parking. It is near the Tennessee and Kentucky state line. There is also a large hotel near the marina.

Joe, I'd guess 25 to 30 boats. Not a big crowd, it will be our 3rd year for a rally. We grow every year!

Keep those suggestions coming! I'll look into a place that can offer us both warm rooms on dry land and houseboats!

me!

Word of caution about houseboats. Did a tourny at Dale Hollow and rented a houseboat with several guys. One fellow had a bit too much to drink one night and decided to relieve himself overboard instead of waking up everyone by using the toilet. Unfortunately, he accidently relieved himself into his boat that was tied along side the houseboat. The smell made him and his partner sick the next day and the boat still smells like a urinal. LOL

Bear

COUNT ME IN ! From the Twin cities thats only about a days run.Well worth the benefit of meeting everybody.......Do they have black flies there though? I'd hate to go through what that poor guy from Mich.went through.

It's about 500 or so for me, but it's a pretty straight shot on I40. Same as Mark G. - well worth the drive. Also saw some info that the lake(s) there will be in prime spawning pattern at that time in April.

Scott,

One of the Elvi(s) checking in....(sinister coincidence with the date)... I'm there buddy...I can volunteer to organize the "anything you say" needs organizing..

Oh, geeeeeeze......I hope we don't have black flies!

T

you can count on seeing us there as well!

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help the process along...

Believe me..... There will be PLENTY of delegating going on!

Thanks for the offers!

You WILL be called upon!

sweet!! got the calendar marked!!can't wait.Scott just a word of thanks for you and to all that is organizing the rally, can't wait to meet everybody.Does anybody know the price of non res. lic. or if they have a 2 or 3 day lic.?

i just hope those black flies are as bad as you guys been talking about....lol

Steve ><}}}}'>

looked at cost of fishing lic. at the kentuckylake.com website. was 14.00 for 3-day

Scott - Checked my distance somewhere about 320 - 360 miles (using either Fort Donelson, TN or Murray, KY as my destination, definetely do-able and less then 7 hours YA HOO!!!

Just gotta check with Beka on the dates. Good news it's the weekend BEFORE Passover so no problems there. I think this one will work for me!

Can't wait to meet you all!

Checked with Boss Lady, and that's the last weekend of the kids Spring Break, SOOOO gonna try to schedule the week before in Tulsa and then head to the rally on the way home!!! Can't WAIT!!!

Michael is coming with the kids?

Water cannons will be issued to all other participants!

I LOVE the houseboat idea!! Only problem i forsee with that though is being able to charge our T/M batteries!!

Could you imagine how dad-gum fun that would be to tie up a flotilla of houseboats in a bay and just claim it for a weekend?!...That would ROCK!!!...We could sign up in groups of 6-8 and rent 4-5 houseboats and have the time of our lives!! Everybody bring a cooler of food/drinks and limes,..and we'll fend for ourselves,....and we could have that fishfry friday or saturday night and our "awards banquet" around the fryer and camp fire!! SWEEEEEEEETT!!!!!

count me in!!!

Mac

Yeah..... Neeley and TOXIC in the same houseboat and..... Well..... You've seen the pictures of the Hindenburg.....

I will donate more plaques for this next years Rally too...

1st, 2nd, 3rd place and BigBass....plus maybe a special one for the "junk fish" category,....LOL. It'll be a riot!!

Mac -

Give me an idea as to what it will cost to make up the plaques. I'll add it into the registration fees.

Thanks!

Naw,..it's all a "donation" from me,...thanks for the offer though, but I'll cover it,...i NEED the deductions anyway!

LOL (6-7 frames and mattes isn't that much anyway,..now if you want to talk to me about my TIME,..well that's a different matter!!..LOL)...just kiddin'...I'll show up with awards and Neeley in tow!! Be READY!!!!! You've offishly been warned!!

Mac

Aw, Mac...don't tow me there again...I ate too many bugs riding across Canada in your boat...can I please ride in the truck this time? I promise...NO SLIM-JIMS!!!

I'll have to think about it Ken,........I still can't remove those stains!!! p-o'd about that!!! LOL

OHHHH, LOW Blow Tex, now pick up that Cell phone and call me so I can cuss you out!!

I'm still the T champ, until we do another one at the same time!!!

Trep,...you might want to reconsider bringing the family along to the Rally,..after this years event,..it's debatable as to whether or not it's a family function!!LOL

Unless of course you name is Addams!!!!....I know I would'nt want to subject my wife and daughters to a weekend of hedonism at that level!! Your call though,...just keep'em away from Neeley!! He could ruin a kids nose!!

TOXIC is the new reigning king of all odiferous functions!!!

Mac - I didn't mean actualy bring them down to the beer, food, black flies and outhouse part LOL.

My current plan, if i can swing it, is to leave the wife and kids in Tulsa and do the rally and have the inlaws bring them up on Sunday noonish to meet everyone and then we'd all head back to Atlanta!

I can just see Eli walking up to Ken with his hand plugging his nose saying "Mr. Ken, you STINKED up the potty!!!"

Don't worry Trep...I'm not gonna my houseboat potty...I'm coming to use yours!!!

OK Scott - we need Key'd Potties on the HouseBoats and Ken doesnt' GET ONE!!!

What? And destroy the lake? No way! Somebody get him that barge from New Jersey with the trash - there's gotta be an empty 55 gallon drum on there somewhere!

Houseboats have pros and cons...

Mac-We always had two bass boats tied up to the houseboat and had no problems with the battery charging...The last one we rented had a four-cylinder car engine hooked up to the generator!!! Power to spare! Anytime we were on the houseboat (except when sleeping) we had the generator running and the bassboats charging.

Pros - park it close to where the fish are...cut down bassboat run time. Park it far away from people in a secluded bay. No neighbors. Generator, stove, oven, microwave, outdoor grill, Outdoor Cooler, Air conditioning, Heat, pots/pans/dishes/towels/blankets, deck furniture, TV/VCR, shower, carpet, even a water slide!

Cons - need a decent captain...they drive like a shoe box with an outboard...even worse when it's windy! Storms can be "interesting"...Kneely and TOXIC would definetly have to share the same toilet (not sure about yours, but my wife would not want to rent one just for this reason!) The toilet bowels are 'dry'...not very nice...

The bass boats will be 'out in the elements'...you have to make sure your hatches seal and your bilge pump works! Staying 3 or 4 days in the spring you can pretty much count on rain.

Having stayed on land and in a houseboat at Kentucky/Barkley Lakes, I would vote for the houseboat...Not sure if they can be rented for less than a week...I think anyone staying on one would love it!!!

az

Good News,

Looks like the gods are smiling down on me, Nascar moved the date for the spring race at Talladega so i should be able to attend the rally.

You might be a redneck if.....

Sorry, William!

(One of my goals in life is to get to Talladega for a NASCAR race. That is one very exciting track!)

It sure is better'n not being able to go because of the Derby!

Andy,....GREAT input,..thanks!! I really like the idea of a houseboat(s) flotilla,.....man that would be FUUUNNNN!!!

Especially since the T/M batteries can be charged...cool!

Scott,..you should probably add that as part of the survey.

"Who would be interested in the H/B scenario providing they are rentable for less than a week and still affordable"...

Personally,...I wouldn't want to spend too much more than it would cost for a motel room for 3 nights,....i'd be willing to spend a little more just for the sheer fun of it,...but I'd be willing to go as high as $50/night ($150) or so for my share of a H/B,...if we had 6 guys to fill a boat, that'd give us over a grand!!..We could rent one for a LOT less than that for 3-4days...it might be alot cheaper per person than a motel...plus we'd probably be dealing with people that actually speak english,...LOL

Just a thought...

Mac

Scott and Mac - Man you guys are up EARLY!!!

One thing to keep in mind, don't know how it worked at the last rally, but some folks might come for 1, 2 or 3 days. Might want to consider BULK renting the houseboats depending on # of committed folks and possibly have space (for a cost, of course) for folks who might only come for Friday night, or Saturday Night.

Just a thought.

Remember, Michael, you're an hour ahead of me, too!

Once I get it planned where we will be staying and get the accomodations "held", it will be up to individuals to decide if they want rooms or houseboats, roommates or singles.....

This will take a while - I've got to sell a few trucks during the day as well - but we should have the location chosen by the end of September or early October.

I also fully intend to give an on-site inspection before finalization. Kentucky lake is only a 3 1/2 hour drive for me - I drive that distance and back in one day when I go to the Current River for a day of trout fishing and canoeing!

me!

Awwwww c'mon guys, I had a surgical valve inserted years ago besides, I never run out of fuel for the BBQ tanks. I'm having some schedule problems but I am working on it. Sounds like the wheels are in motion!! 760 miles for me is a hump but it is doable if I can clear up some things. When and how do you figure out how many need boats?

TOXIC

First, I gotta find where they're available and cost..... Then you guys can decide if you want them.

Thanks, Sam!

I spoke to two other places yesterday; I'll give them a call today if I get the chance.