2000 Nitro sport trailer rusting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike daniels

Reaction score
Folks,

I was just checking out my trailer lights and when I got a good look the cross bars near the front of the boat, I saw a big rust hole (~ 1 1/2" diameter) under its lowest point where the weep hole was. Now its a monster weep hole.

I think its a trailstar trailer that came with the 2000 Nitro sport 175.

Options besides getting a replacement trailer?

If a replacement trailer is in the cards, what is a good brand that will fit this boat?

thanks

My buddy has a 95 Nitro that had the same problem. Got a guy to cut/weld in new crossbars and it's good to go. Much cheaper than a new trailer:cool:

JP

I have the same issue ('99 Nitro 185 Sport) and general surface rust forming everywhere. If I don't do something soon, I will need a total replacement. I recently replaced my trailer lights with LEDs and noticed significant rust inside the trailer rails, etc. Kinda scary... :unsure:

I'll be honest here....if you don't want to see how bad that some of these trailers are built then, never have your boat off your tralier and do anything with the trailer because you'll find out quickly how flimsy and thin they really are.

Mine's garaged so I'm not seeing much as far as major rust....

Do you guys think the quality has gone away on the newer trailers and boats? I have a 1994 170DC, when I read all these posts about the new boats / trailers with all these issues makes me never want to upgrade to a newer boat. I don't expect that there should never be a problem but seems like way to many on these newer rigs. My trailer is faded with paint chipping off but no rust. It sits outside year round and is the original trailer. My gelcoat looks amazing, and the person that owned it before me said his secret was funiture polish. He said he sprayed it down and wiped it each time out of the water with pledge.? Just curious what you guys think, I would like a newer and bigger boat some day, just a little leary of them after seeing all the problems with all makes not just nitro.

Quite the opposite actually. Tremendous improvements have been made over the years. Don't hesitate to buy new when you're ready. Like I tell everyone.....the best most technologically advanced, best engineered, most durable, longest lasting cars, boats, motors....even HUMANS...all have "service depts"......:)

I have a very good condition 2000 Trailstar trailer for sale.....comes with a 2000 Nitro Sport 185. Details are in the Swap and Sell!! :lol:

Had the same problem with my Trailstar for my Tracker PT 175..

Bought a 10 ft section of matching steel and had my welder cut out 3 ft sections of the rusted crossbeams.. After sanding and painting, can't even tell that it was once rusted out.. Not too expensive since I can't afford a new trailer right now.. Definitely a job for a more experienced welder to handle.. Hope this helps..

Latest posts

Back