1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

1998 Nitro 640lx 75hp Tracker Top End Rpm Loss

Thread in 'Motors & Props' started by Pete, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

About two of three years ago I started losing top end RPM and have no idea why. This is a traditional carb motor which I have taken to two different service dealers and they say the motor is running fine. I have a Stilletto 21in stainless steel prop on the motor and it used to run 5000RPM and a solid 45 to 47MPH on the speedometer. I was told compression is fine, I have change the plugs, changed the fuel filter, had tune ups at the shop and run fuel cleaner through it. I also at one point tried a new Laser II 22in pitch prop which made no difference.

I can only reach about 4700-4800 RPM and only a little over 40pm? Are there any suggestions of why this might be occurring? I am at a loss as to what to try without spending too much money. It almost sounds like at times the motor wants a little more fuel at top end but other than that the engine runs very srtong. It is a little cranky at idle and to fire up but it is an old school carb motor.