1997 700LX Nitro w/merc 125 possible?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack K

Reaction score
Saw an ad for a 700LXDC with a merc125.. but when I check the Nitro site it looks like the 700LX tops out with a 90HP Motor only. No Specs for a 125HP. Is this boat over motored?

Can a 700LX handle with that merc125?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The 700lx is rated to handle the 125. Go back to the nitro site and look under the main page for the 700lx you'll see down the right side under Specifications "Max. Recommended H.P. 125". What you saw when you went to the Motors section was just the few outboards they price on the site, you can order the 125 or the 115. They just don't put every possible option on the site. A few months ago I talked to the Tracker webmaster and pointed him to what I've found as the best boat buying site i've found, www.stingrayboats.com, we'll see if they make any changes. Don't get me wrong, the Tracker/Nitro site (and the othe Marine Group sites) are head and shoulders above most bass boat manufacturers, but there is always someone better to help you improve.

Oh, Rich Stern has the 115 on his 700lx and he added a Jack Plate, you can post or email him [email protected] to see how fast he runs. I've been on the boat, handles 2 folks comfortably with all our stuff and FLIES!!

Yeah always put the highest recommended HP motor you can on the boat, if you can afford it.................sa

I have a 94 170tf w/ a 115. very fast. I live on a small lake and my top speed there is 47-50 mph. It'll go faster on a big lake. I just run out of water on my lake.

I have a 1998 700 LX with a 125 Merc. on it. I absolutely love this boat. With a tournament load I regularly run 60 to 65 mph {gps speed}. With me alone and a half tank of gas I have gotten 68 mph. I have handled waves at Oneida Lake in New York and at the Chesapeake Bay in Md. with little problem. For the money and depending where you do most of your fishing this is a sweet boat package.

I have a 98 lx700 with a 115hp mercury. It is my first bass boat and I bought it used about a year and a half ago. I really like this boat. I get about 54mph speedo but still have a little throttle left with a light load. My prop is a 21" and I'm thinkin of going to to 23" to get a little more speed. I think a 115 or 125 is a great motor on this boat - just depends on how fast ya wanna go. After shopping around and looking at most brands, it seams that on a glass boat:

17' = 115hp; 18' = 150hp; 18 1/2' = 175hp; 19-20' = 200hp

on my rig, it sometimes gets a little loose above 50mph depending on conditions. A jack plate might help out above 50mph. I recommend a nitro boat as mine has brought me home safe and dry every time and has stood up well with heavy use. I think the lx700 is the best value for the money on a glass boat and gets the job done. It is easy to tow, reliable, beautiful, handles the waves, and goes a long way on a tank of gas. I do not think that I would like it with less than a 90hp on this boat. 115 or 125 is your best bet.

james d.

Latest posts

Back