170DC motor height

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hammons

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what there motor height is set at. Mine is 6 5/8 and I think it is causing me alot of problems being that deep. Everything I can find says 4 1/2 up to around three. Someone point me in the right direction pleasse. Thanks:wacko:

Welcome to the worlds best web site. My question is where are you measureing from? I am not an expert but I think it's supposed to be from the center of the prop shaft to bottom of the pad? Also what are your issues and what engine size and prop are you running?

The more info you post the better the reply..

BF

Welcome to the board.

What motor do you have on it?

I have a 1993 170 with a 90 Johnson and my motor sits right on the transom.

John

Boat setup is cause and effect, and everything that revolves around that.

"My motor height is too low"

Maybe, maybe not.

Effect of too low: no roostertail, chine walk, rpms too low, speed not appropriate.

Effect of too high: lack of water pressure, high roostertail, wheel torque, lack of lift.

Every boat/motor/load is different, and small adjustments can make large differences.

So, the question really is, what are your current results? Then you can look at what needs to be adjusted or changed, to achieve desired results.

It is a 94 170DC with a 93 115 Evinrude 20" shaft. I leveled the pad, then i leveled the cavitation plate. Measured both to floor. Measurement from center of hub to pad is 6 5/8. The motor is in the very top hole so it is set as deep as it will go.

Problem is I lost a prop (literally) at Kentucky Lake. No pin and spun right off when I hit reverse. Cheap aluminum anyway. Found a marina that let me try several. Boat has full load of 22 gallons, gear and two men. I ended up buying a 13 7/8 X 17 Viper SS. He was nice enough to let me try several expensive props. 19 p I plowed for a long time before getting on plane. 20 my son had to go to the bow and I had to play with trim, 21, 22 weren't going to happen.

I am getting a decent hole shot with the 17 but lost near 7 mph. I am turning 5400 at WOT at 43 mph. I have no idea what the old prop was. No blow out, no chine walk, steering stays a little tough. I do not think this boat was ever set up. For one thing the (torque tab fin brain fart on name) was maxed all the way to one side. AT WOT it took two men and asmall boy to hold it straight. Adjusted it and is ok now. Thanks for input and putting up with long rant. :wub:

Each hole you raise with motor flat on transom will increase rpms by about 100, speed about 1 mph, maybe more.

Without a jack plate, I'd say you've probably got room to come up two holes, and you'll be at your happy place.

I got the exact same setup with a 19 pitch stainless and a 6inch Jackplate. Put the plate on to cut back on the wash over the transom when stopping. Didn't help anything that I can tell but I don't probably have it setup right. Runs about 47 mph with a trashy two man holeshot.

fatrap

I have a 170dc with a johnson 115, 18p raker, 5.5 prop to pad getting 47.2. The bot is up on plane in 3 seconds.

Latest posts

Back