17' / 17'6 Tracker Owners.....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
What size trolling motors are on your boats?

Are they adequate?

Anyone have a Johnson 40 HP motor?

Any comments on it's performance? Reliability?

Anyone know the maximum RPM for this motor?

Later this week I'll be taking a look at a boat listed in Swap & Sell and want to get your feelings on the accessories, etc.

See: 1991 Bass Tracker Pro 17

Staci, I have a MG 37lb. thrust on my PT-17 and it is more than adequate.

I can't help you with the Johnson:)

Bill

I have a pro 175 with a 40 hp merc... top rpm's is 5200 (28 mph +/-) and the trolling motor is a motor guide 36 lb thrust... plenty of power in the trolling motor but the mount is noisy as ... well, you know... The one thing i would change on the boat would be to go with more horsey's on the butt... Not enough power to get you over some of those blast off wakes so i lay back since i aint gonna outrun anybody anyway.

My last boat (Ryan Craft) had a johnson 40. Most reliable motor I have ever owned (with the exception of the johnson 25 on my first boat). If you just look at the key while thinking about cranking, it will turn over and start....LOL.

The only thing I ever had go wrong with it was the power pack thingy went out on me.

the 40 lb is ok if you fish lakes, if you fish tidal go bigger, as for the johnson, my buddy has the johnson 40, his does not have power trim or tilt. check to see if that one does. expect 28 or so mph at wot. p.s. check the rivets carefully

mike

The one thing that I think I'm concerned about at this point is the 28# Motor Guide trolling motor..... The lakes in Illinois are either big and windy or they have 25 horse motor restrictions so I'd be on the TM all day.....

Any thoughts on the thrust rating?

Also, if you know what the max rpm's are, I'd like to know so I can see if it's proped properly when I test drive it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

me!

Staci - My 175 has a 43lb Motorguide, it does GREAT on my boat except on TRULY extraordinary wind conditions. The 28lb might be a bit under powered, for river or windy conditions, but if the boat is in good shape and you get a good price, you save a bit and upgrade the trolling motor.

Trep

Staci, I fish tidal water more than not and that 37 lb. thrust works just fine, even in the wind. I don't think I would want less though. My 40 runs 29 mph @5100 rpm. The Johnson may be different.

Bill

Yeah..... I thought that might be the case..... I don't know why, but when I look at trolling motors, I wonder "Why so much money?" :(

I have a 90hp Tohatsu TLDI and a Minn Kota Riptide 74lb thrust on mine. My main motor gets me up around 45 mph depending on load, and my trolling motor does about 4 mph. The trolling motor that came with my boat was a 12 volt 48 lb thrust motorguide, which is inadequate for western fishing, as the wind picks up in the afternoons. With my current 24 volt set-up, I can fish all day and still have enough juice for half of the following day. I like the 90hp for the aspect of two over-weight full figured fisherman,20 bottles of water,enough tackle to make bass pro look like childs play. Alot of people don't put into consideration all the little extra's add weight to your boat.

I have a MK AT55 on my PT-185. It works pretty good except on the windest days. Then I have to put it on 5 just to keep from blowing backwards.

I don't know much about rivited boats. I would suggest you get the garden hose and fill the bilge and see if it looks like a Waterpik Shower Massage underneath.

Harpo

I have the same setup as Harpo, MK At55 on my PT-175. Works really well, but the 2004 hull is larger than the older ones, you might not need that much thrust. I have a 50 HP Merc - I get 33 mph WOT best conditions.

-Carl Meyer

42# MK on mine great most of the time but there are times it's wot fighting the current and the wind, 60 hp Merc 43 mph @ 5400... 88 TXS17

BF

ME!, my PT 185 has the 43lb thrust, 12 volt, I fish a lot of electric only lakes and would like to get either a bigger TM and/or a two batt system. I second what Harpo and Mike said and check those rivets, I heard thet had the tendency to leak.

Chris

I've always had good luck with my Johnson....except that one time back in 2001, but Viagara took care of that!!!

Oh Boy...another thread heading south.

Damn, Bruce Y! Dupo, IL is about 15 miles from me..... And that boat looks good! I've got 4 days, I may have to contact him and look at it..... Although the price may get up a bit further than I want to pay right now....

Thanks for all the feedback, Everyone!

I will likely look at it on Thursday evening.....

But I've got until next May! :)

me!

"I've always had good luck with my Johnson....except that one time back in 2001, but Viagara took care of that!!!"
Web%20Cam%20ala%20Neeley.jpg

Staci, would you be interested in a 1996 PT-17 with a 65 hp Mercury Jet motor?

I have a friend who is talking about selling his. I don;t know a lot of the particulars but would find out. I do know there are no decals on the boat. I would think he will be selling it for $4000.00 or even less.

Bill

Jets, as far as my expierience goes are a "little" thirstier but I don;t think that much. His 65 hp jet runs a about the same as my regular old 40 hp.

Bill

TOX in a skirt.....

Gotta be worse than Neeley in the french maid outfit!

Hey Bill, check your email more often!!! LOL

Opps you just responded to my last one!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back