150 XR6 / 882 RPM help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mc Innish

Reaction score
Since I broke in the motor some 10 years ago it has ran right about 5500RPM trimmed up at WOT. This weekend I was out and it was running right at 6000RPM with no change in set up. I checked the prop, prop nut, and hub and everything appears in good order. Any insight?

I forgot to get the prop specs and will add them tomorrow.

What was the temp outside? My xr6 when i had it would run a lot stronger in cool weather(most any motor will) then it would on say a 70 deg plus day. On mine is was not uncommon to pick up 500 or more rpm when it was cool outside. Mine would run at 5800 all day in the summer and in the early spring or late fall i could go up over 6000rpm and hit the rev limiter with no changes to the setup. It also picked up speed too.

Morning was very cool starting off just shy of 40. I wasn't running WOT through the AM. I pushed to WOT in the afternoon run back to the ramp with air temp close to 70 and little humidity. It was a slow pick up from 5500 to 6000. Probably over the course of 2-3 miles. May have been better conditions through that stretch with some moist stationary air rather than the wind tunnel I was at earlier in the day.

I'll be out again Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Mixed bag of weather from cool to warm, wet to dry. I'll post if I come up with anything else.

does the motor SOUND like it is running faster? It could be the TACH

I agree with Mini. Unless the motor sounds like it's running higher, a gradual creep is possible in the tach. Mine will climb sometimes, then a tap on it makes it drop back to "normal".

When this happened to my 882 I had lost one fo the plugs in my tempest prop.. It ended up boosting my RPM's by 500 or so.. Thats the first place thing I would check..

I did check the prop plugs and all where there. Motor had the normal pitch so tach creep could be it. I appreciate the input from everyone.

Had a simular problem on my 03 882, Replaced the Tach and now all is well.

Hopefully it will be that simple for you.

GregD

My 150Xr6 had that problem once, but it was because I did not have my partner and all his $hit....LOL

BF

I never really noticed but i don't believe my prop has any plugs in it. Its a Tempest 23P. I just checked and it does not have any plugs in it. Could that be one of the reasons why i used to have a hard time getting on plane? I have a hydrofoil on it now for quite awhile and its like a rocket. UP,OUT & GONE. I have an '04 882 with the 150EFI Merc. I know 882's are heavy in the ass end as everythings back (Batteries,Gas, engine, etc). Just had alot of people tell me, a hydrofoil is just a bandaid. My boat should plane w/o a hydrofoil. As far as specs, i'm not sure RPM's and etc. We even tried lowering the engine and etc and to no avail. Its not a big deal but if i could get it to plane like it does now, w/o the foil on it, that would be good also. Anyone have some ideas? Boat has not been out yet this year so i can't help ya there. Since day one, its been a pig to get up on plane. JIMB, or anyone got any suggestions? Thanx, Jim

Latest posts

Back