Z Series Chine Walking Issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Z17 and have not. I came from a 640lx - 90hp with SS prop and that handled crazy good.
I'm currently getting used to the NFB steering clutch feel and the prop slip you get on a 'larger' rig.

I have a z19, it will start to roll back and forth a little if I over trim it. Certainly not a violent chine walk. I am still experimenting with motor height and finding the sweet spot for trim. So far it has run 66.5 at 5820 RPM.

I found the chine walk sweet spot after running awhile. Still looking for the perfect jack plate height for performance though. It’s minuscule between running its best and blowing out the prop!

I have a z19, it will start to roll back and forth a little is I over trim it. Certainly not a violent chine walk. I am still experimenting with motor height and finding the sweet spot for trim. So far it has run 66.5 at 5820 RPM.
I have a 2019 z19 that does the same thing. Its worse when im fishing alone not as bad with 2 people. Im thinking about trying a 4 blade prop and see if that helps.

Chine walking can happen due to boat hull design, improper loading or most cases the boat is lifting high on the hull in a high performance boat. For corrective action steering out of it is required to reach maximum performance. This is difficult for someone who has not experienced it, but in time and trial it can be mastered. Usually a slight pulling action back in forth is required each boat may verily a little.

This is my Z20 in the picture. I have had chine walk issues since ordering this boat. I have the ProXS 4.6 225 on this boat. My chine walk starts at about 68 - 70 on the gps. I have communicated with KVD on this as he is a Nitro guy. He said the same thing about lightly twitching the steering wheel to get through it. The dealer that set this boat up said that it was the fastest Nitro he has been in, he states he had it to 78 mph on gps. I have had it to 74 but it is violent. I have and Atlas hydraulic jackplate. I stand behind the boat and I can see that the engine is out of plumb with the hull by 1 to 1 1/2 degrees. I have an appointment on Saturday at Bass Pro Shop in Gainesville to dial it in. I had a touring FLW pro look at it Monday, by the time I got the engine in a vertical position he already had spotted it was out of plumb. I have spent a lot of time watching youtube videos on chine walk. One of the most valuable videos was the one explaining weight balancing. I have moved weight around efficiently and it has helped to some degree. Good luck with it, I am still tinkering with it. I have a Fury 23P prop. This boat explodes out of the hole shot, it nearly comes out of the hole on a plane.

I have a 2015 Z19 with a 250 Pro XS that chined walked so bad I’d never see what it’s top speed was, took it back to Tracker and they had no clue what to do , took it to another Tracker dealer and they just kinda shrugged their shoulders at the problem , raised my motor height 1/4 inch at a time and when I had reached 1 inch higher than it was set from the factory my chine walk disappeared.

I have a 2015 Z19 with a 250 Pro XS that chined walked so bad I’d never see what it’s top speed was, took it back to Tracker and they had no clue what to do , took it to another Tracker dealer and they just kinda shrugged their shoulders at the problem , raised my motor height 1/4 inch at a time and when I had reached 1 inch higher than it was set from the factory my chine walk disappeared.
I am curious, isn't that more motor than a Z19 is rated for?

But didn't your top speed go away also?? These high performance bass boats will chine walk when the hull raises up on top of the water. The rotation of the prop and the less wetted surface of the boat is a cause of the chine walk. I'm told that the driver can counter act either by short left turns of the wheel or trim the motor down in short taps until the chine walk goes away.. My boat starts chine walking around 72 mph and will get worse unless you start driving it. I've had others who can drive my boat up to 78 mph. I know because I was in the boat when they done it. It would of went faster but ran out of water and had to shut down. I haven't mastered it yet and really don't know if I want to be on the edge driving it all the time.. 70 mph is a nice cruising speed anyway and the water conditions in the warm months is not for high speed anyway...

I actually gained more top speed, same principle as trimming your motor up. The higher you raise the motor the more it lifts your boat out of the water , less boat in the water equals less drag and more speed. Your are right about driving the chine walk out but it’s not an enjoyable experience, when I was first dealing with my chine walk issue I had my dad - who’s owned many high speed bass boats - drive my boat and he showed me how to drive the chine walk out of it , but there’s nothing subtle about correcting it, you have to jerk the steering wheel to keep the boat level and at 75mph it’s quite intense. My boat started chine walking around 72mph as well , I don’t run wide open all the time, only when I first leave the ramp I open her up to see what she’ll do that day then cruise the rest of the day. My belief is that chine was is purely caused by hull design, as I mentioned my dad has owned many high speed bass boats - hydra sport, Cobra and many Skeeters and he pays no attention to how he loads his boat with gear and out of all the trips out with him as a kid and an adult I never knew what chine walk was until I bought my Nitro.

Has anyone that owns one of the newer Z SERIES rigs experienced chine walking issues while running at the higher end speeds?
I have a similar problem but not sure what! I have a 2015 Z-7 with a 150 on it. It never had a problem before but recently it started to ( fall off pad) I have power poles and if I turn they will cut into the water and skip a little. It has always done this, but now I can be going straight and it will fall left or right and and catch! It seems to be getting worse. Any ideas that I can try? I have not changed a thing and I am not sure how to go forward. Help!

I have a similar problem but not sure what! I have a 2015 Z-7 with a 150 on it. It never had a problem before but recently it started to ( fall off pad) I have power poles and if I turn they will cut into the water and skip a little. It has always done this, but now I can be going straight and it will fall left or right and and catch! It seems to be getting worse. Any ideas that I can try? I have not changed a thing and I am not sure how to go forward. Help!
check to make sure you don't have water in your hull, pull boat plug.

Latest posts

Back