Z-9 ENGINE HEIGHT

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn skobel

Reaction score
I HAVE A NITRO Z-9 2008 SINGLE CONSOLE W/225MERC OPTI PRO XS. I CANT SEEM TO GET THE MOTOR WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE. ANYONE HAVE A GOOD SUGGESTION ON HOW FAR BELOW THE PAD THE SHAFT SHOULD BE FOR BEST PERFORMANCE. RIGHT NOW I CAN TRIM IT ALL THE WAY TO THE LIMIT AND THE PROP STILL DOES NOT BREAK LOOSE. I AM GETTING CLOSE TO MAX RPM BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IT SHOULD PERFORM BETTER WITHOUT BEING TRIMMED SO HIGH. ;)I HAVE HAD QUITE A FEW BASS BOATS AND NEVER HAD ONE THAT THAT COULD BE DONE WITH. SEEMS TO ME LIKE I NEED TO RAISE IT UP A GOOD BIT BUT DONT WANT TO KEEP GOING THROUGH ADJUSTMENTS IF SOMEONE KNOWS A GOOD STARTING POINT.

THANKS

Have you talked to your dealer? The factory?

I dont own one, but know a couple guys that do.

And what do you mean by: "RIGHT NOW I CAN TRIM IT ALL THE WAY TO THE LIMIT AND THE PROP STILL DOES NOT BREAK LOOSE." the part about breaking loose?

I MEANT THAT IT DOES NOT CAVITATE. WHEN RUNNING FULL SPEED TRIMMED AS FAR AS IT WILL GO BEFORE IT KICKS INTO TILT MODE. ALL OTHER BOATS IVE HAD COULD NEVER BE TRIMMED UP THAT FAR WITHOUT THE PROP CAVITATING AND THE RPMS GOING WAY UP BECAUSE THE PROP LOOSES ITS GRIP IN THE WATER. I DONT KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT SET-UP BECAUSE ALL MY OTHER BOATS WERE GOOD FROM THE DEALER. THIS DEALER HOWEVER IS A COMPLETE IDIOT. MARIETTA R&V AND MARINE IN OHIO BUT THAT IS A WHOLE NOTHER STORY.

"I MEANT THAT IT DOES NOT CAVITATE. WHEN RUNNING FULL SPEED TRIMMED AS FAR AS IT WILL GO BEFORE IT KICKS INTO TILT MODE."

Not all boats or props do this, dont take it as a bad thing. Some boats just need all of the trim stroke to get the most out of them, they dont all setup the same. My 882 needed every bit and more( i had to put extenders on it) My old Champion was the same way. If your gettging Max RPM, good speed and list and its not driving poorly you may just be setup right.

If you dont want to trim out as far you could try raising the motor 1/4" at a time until you feel you have it right. Watch the water pressure and if you loose bow lift your too high. Also measure your current propshaft height or make a mark on the plate so you can return it back to the starting point if you need or want to.

PS: turn off the caps lock, using all caps is the message board equiv of YELLING.

just keep raising the motor 1/4 inch at a time until you lose either speed, rpms, or water pressure falls below what it needs to be. DO NOT jsut raise motor without checking your water pressure. When running your motor will not kick into tilt mode. you can trim and trim and trim and it will get to a point that it just will stop. It will not tilt up out of the water. At WOT the prop will not break loose. the only time you may see blow out like this is on takeoff getting out of the hole with too much ventilation.

Derek Chance

BTS / KVD Line & Lure

Stahlman Powersports

Hi-Tech Collision

What Prop? I run a Trophy and a Tempest. The Tempest run's approx 3.5" below thew pad, The Trophy ran 3.25-3" below the pad. I need to re measure the shaft to pad, because I made some small adjustments. And its hooking up good right now. I run both right at 74 with a 250 Pro Xs.

I have have always been able, on every boat I have owned, to run full trim. If I could not I would adjust until I could.

After bass boating for 20 years I have never been able to trim up till it stops and have the prop blow out or caviate while running in a straight line.

If one (or more) of your boats did, it sounds like they were set up wrong. If boat manufacturers set boats up that way, people would be blowing engines left and right.

Try BCMD's numbers and let us know where you are at. Oh yea, quit YELLING! lol

OEM defaults keep trim in gear @ 2K RPM's and lower. While running in gear, the unit cannot over-trim without bypassing these defaults. (Electrical and/or mechanical) If you had a boat(s?) that did allow overtrim at top end, someone has overcame these defaults. (This is highly unlikely from a dealer wishing to remain in business.) Can you describe your situation a little better? How long to plane over (hook up) as set currently, top RPM's/GPS speed, what pitch prop and name (blade configuration), jackplate (stationary or hydraulic)??

I have have always been able, on every boat I have owned, to run full trim. If I could not I would adjust until I could.

No truer words have been spoken. If you do not have full trim on your hull (whomever), you are most likely not set up right. Your trim needs full swing to swiftly overcome the changing surfaces of the water. I've seen a few boats in my time and many are just set up wrong or way out of synch. (motor/hull/jack/trim all working complimentary in an orchestrated motion) One link of this chain out of whack and performance suffers. FWIW

when i ran it on sunday before my first post i hit 68.9 on gps at 5700rpm with a merc tempest 26p 3 blade, 3/4 tank of gas with just me in the boat. now that i am seeing what some other guys are getting with 250's i'm thinking i may be good where i am. i do not know how far below the pad the shaft is cause i'm not real sure how to measure it,(as far as where the motor should be trimmed to to measure it). the jackplate is stationary so i have to take the boat out to have it adjusted every time. the boat gets on plane pretty quick but i have never timed it. i may try raising it a little more and see what happens.thanks for all the info i will let you know where i end up. BTW sorry for the yelling, i'm new at this.

Bump it up 1/4" at a run until you're happy AND AT LEAST 12 PSI holds steady on the water guage (including turns). How much time on the ECU? Your Opti will open up after about 20hrs on the block. Not to buy into the marketing hype, but I've seen some good results with the new Fury prop on your configuration. See if your dealer has one to let you try. A printed prop will help immensely. Your numbers aren't bad at all, but I'll bet you see low 70's regularly with your final setup. ;)

i doubt that i have 20 hours on it yet, i just bought it in sept. 2008. i've fished a few tournaments before i put it away for the winter. i have been thinking about the fury i've heard it is pretty good. thank you for the help.

With a two fiddy you have more left in that rig. I run 67 gps with a 225 efi on a fully loaded 929 (and I do mean loaded). Granted my motor is a runnin fool, but you have 3-4 mph left easy. Pad adjustment and prop will get you there.

TOXIC

I got a fury last year and was surprised at the instant gain. i would recomend though that you find the sweet spot first to keep things consistent. Merc or Nitro won't likely have any numbers on that rig and a fury. I'm with Mini, I've never been able to do that either, I would not expect it, your water pressure would be affected before you reach cavitation.

pierre

I too have a new Fury to try this year....:)

I still think it will be a backup prop to my Trophy

U need a pic of the boat, but my 67-69 is your target with the 225 Pro Xs, 70 would be with a lighter loads. Sounds like your are performing pretty good. A Fury may get .5-2 mph more, and so would blue printing.

Latest posts

Back