Z-7 Set-Up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Grover

Reaction score
Have had my Z-7 for 6 months now and still trying to get it set-up right.

150 Opti w/ 24P tempest Plus, 1 large plug in 2 out

6" manual JP

5650 rpm WOT, 73 mph (speedo)

Need to reduce chine walk at high speeds

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Nitro Z-7

try lowering your jack plate 1/2"...keep lowering in 1/2" increments until it's perfect.

I sorta figured that, I started at 3 1/2 below the pad, moved to 3 and was better now I'm at 2 1/5 and have higher rpm but same speed, will bring back to 3 and see what happenes.

Thanks

Nitro Z-7

I took two plugs complety out and have one large one in, took all of them out and blew my prop. I also made a hole shot plate which helps as well. 3" below pad is the best spot for mine which is what I am going ot put it back too.

Nitro Z-7

Chaz

I wouldn't buy a 23 Tempest. It's not enough prop and you will lose top end as well. I have an old 23 as a spare for my Z-7 and I lost 8 to 9 mph when I use it.

Tom,

If you lost 8-9mph there is something seriously wrong with your 23 tempest. Dropping an inch in pitch should be 3-4mph tops.

From what i have seen the Z7 can use a 23 or 24 with a 150 but it really depends on how you load the boat. If you carry a lot of gear a 24 will be too much prop and the holeshot will stink and the motor will be lugging on top.

If Nitro Z7 can turn 5650 with that 24 fully loaded with the tackle and fuel he normally carries i dont think i would change a thing. The setup is right or darn close to it. As far as the chinewalk goes there is only one true cure and thats seat time. Also pay attention to where you put gear so the boat is balanced. In the end seat time and experience is the only cure.

Jim

I just found out today that apparently the same time I changed props one of my coils went out therefore causing that drop in speed. So that being said I agree with you and when I get the coil fixed I will try the 23 again.

My dealer sold another Z-7 to a guy and it didn't have a JP on it, he ended up putting a 23P on it to get a good hole shot. With my JP and hole shot plate, 1/2 to 3/4 fuel and what I carry my hole shot is about 1-3 seconds, I've never timed it but it's quick. I usually fish by myself. When I 1st got it I was tempted on getting a 23P but was told by someone on the BBC board to take out 2 plugs and leave 1 large one in and bam, instant hole shot. At 2.75 to 3" below the pad I can get 5600-5650 rpm at wot and like I said in my 1st post (speedo only) 71-73 mph on a glass lake early am, after that with all the other boats and wind it gets choppy.

Nitr Z-7

it sounds to me like your right there then. Just leran how to control the chine walk and you will be all set.

I'm running a 23P / 6"JP and can get around 5500-5600 rpm at 60. No chine at 58mph.

When I had my 150 EFI, 6" JP, I ran 5600-5700 @ 63-64 mph loaded 1 person with a 3-4 sec holeshot..

23 tempest plus

2 large hole plugs

1 open

3" below pad

Chine started around 60-61 mph

If you are running a 24, you should be getting more than 60 mph

The HIGHER you go on the plate will help walking, watch water pressure, 15 psi minimum at WOT.....

Latest posts

Back