Yamaha Prolems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Fruge

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 Baystealth with a 150 Yamaha (Fuel injected). Last weekend the motor died on me on the way in and wouldn't start. (Had to be towed in by the Wildlife & Fisheries).

When I turn the key the starter pops up and engages the wheel but that is where everything ends. At first I thought maybe the battery was too weak to crank the engine but now that I have put a newer fully charged battery on it, it does the same thing.

The motor died out on me due to low oil in the container under the cowling. This has happened to me before and the engine fired right up after adding oil. This time it didn't. (I have to add oil b/c the sending unit overflows the reserve under the cowling).

I am pretty sure that I will be bringing it in to a machanic but I wanted to here your thoughts on it before I bite the bullet, just in case its something simple that I may not be aware of.

Wolf :(

If that flywheel won't turn, you are about to get pretty unhappy unless you have a warranty of some sort. It sounds like the low oil warning system was not working, this shouldn't happen without a warning alarm.

Hey Berry,

The motor went through its normal low oil shut down. The rpm's dropped for a couple seconds and then the engine died. Its done this before and I was able to fill the oil resevoir and it started back up. I am thinking that maybe something didn't reset and its still in some kind low oil mode.

One thing I did notice when poking around under the hood last night is that there are several wires with plugs or connections on them that are not hooked to anything on right side of the motor down in the motor housing. Do you think these are for some type of diagnostics or something. They look like they have always been there and I don't see anywhere where they would plug into.

Wolf

Wolf,

My best friend's Merc did the same thing, the warning didn't sound either. He had to have his rebuilt with new sensors and horns installed. It just did it again and this time it is gone. No warning just shut down and siezed up. I hope it is just something computer related that is not resetting as you hope/stated. If not As berry said, a real un-happy time is coming!

Good luck with it and let us know the final outcome!

Randy

Let me start that I'm no mechanic, and don't know much about Yammies, but if you can't turn the flywheel at all, no matter what brand it is, it is locked up and it's probably going to be powerhead time. I'm betting those wires are diagnostic connections or something like that. Good luck, maybe it's not fried and your starter just went bad or a bunch of oil got into the cylinders somehow (won't compress like gas so the flywheel wouldn't turn but a little). I could be wrong, but I just don't think you're going to be really happy about this.

What Berry said!!! Although, if you can, remove the spark plugs and see if you can move the flywheel by hand. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT.... remove the spark plugs and use the ignition key, i.e. starter,... to turn the engine over. IF YOU DO,....there will be a big ball of fire at the back of the boat and you will not be happy. With that said, if the engine will not turn over by hand, with the spark plugs removed, you definitely have

serious engine trouble.

did you look to see that the tank under the cowl is filled up, if so it locked up tight.

Latest posts

Back