Yamaha doing away with model years on motors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
In the November issue of Boat U.S. magazine, an article detials how Yamaha will no longer put a production date on its motors. The motor will have a serial number and a date for when the model was introduced. A Yamaha exec was quoted as follows: "The model year designatior no longer brins significant benefit or advantage to the table for the consumer."

I am sure they have some sales or cost rationale behind it, but I think it's a whacky idea. Have they thought of what that means for used sellers? Insurance companies? Accounting for depreciation?

Seems a bit out there to me. The article gives the impression that Boat U.S. doesn't think much of the idea, either.

I think John Deere does or used to operate that way. I bought a used lawn tractor from a local dealer and all he could do was say it was made between 19XX and 19XX what ever years it was. It made the decision to buy it more difficult not knowing how old it was.

Gene

Rich - Yamaha is not the only mfg. to be making this switch. You'll see it on domestic and other brands very soon. I can only very strongly suggest a VIN search before new boat purchases if you'd like assurances that your components match year of mfg. Just an FYI.

Latest posts

Back