XPS On-board Battery Charger

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Risko

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this is a good on-board charger?

XPS Charger (Model XPS4/4) If so, why..... If not, Why....

I just bought one of these chargers about a month ago and installed it about 2 weeks ago. I have not had a chance to get out on the water and go through the whole discharge and recharge routine yet. I do know that it charges my 2 batteries overnight. I bought a 3 bank (for possible future growth) but only have 2 batteries connected presently. The charger is not warm to the touch nor are the batteries. Sorry I can't give you more info than that. I will need more time to see how well it performs.

Dave

You owe it to yourself to look at the Guest chargers that are showcased on this site. BPS is ok, but Guest specializes in chargers. Remember, you get what you pay for in some products.

TOXIC

Tox,

I am all for supporting board sponsers and have heard nothing but praises for Sue and Guest. I really wanted a Guest charger but due to financial constraints I could not afford one. The XPS charger has a 2 year warrenty just like the Guest am I am confident BPS will stand behind it. If it lasts me 2 years I'll be satisfied. Maybe then I'll be able to upgrade to Guest.

Dave

BPS chargers used to be made by Guest, private labelled for BPS. I had one and it was great. The BPS one I had though only had a 1 year warranty. I have since upgraded to the Guest 2631 and it is a great charger. There are a few newer models out that are better yet. As Toxic said, they're worth looking at. I won't put anything else in my boats. In fact, I may have a used Dual Pro for sale CHEAP with the next boat I buy! LOL Has one in it, and I am putting a Guest in.

Just a side note: we discussed a few weeks back (pursuant to the Bassmaster/Larry Nixon article about chargers) that possibly on board chargers don't charge batteries don't charge all the way and so leave batteries with less power and will eventually cause premature failure. The article suggested using a manual charger every other charge, or after the on board has topped it's charge. This concerned me so I charged my batteries full with my Guest. Then I put my manual charger on them......they WERE full charged. Guest rocks.

Jill-

how did you come to have over 5000 posts on this site?

...and only 1 eyebrow???

az

I purchased a 3 bank 20A ProMariner (out of Arkansas) about 3 weeks ago. Wanted a Guest, but like others (only so many dollars) and the ProMariner was on sale (big discount) for the Boating/Camping sale.

I have been using it, and it works great. The ProMariner pumps 20A between the 3 batteries, load balanced to the condition of the battery. My first real tourney all day fishing event proved uneventful, and I had to really crank up the trolling motor later in the day with the wind.

All things being close or equal, I'd get a Guest. But with the $50.00 savings of regular price, and the difference in price from the Guest, it was an easy decision for me.

Tex

Must be Rich's way of punishing me! LOL I did that once yesterday and now EVERY time I post it pops "Jill" in my alias. I have to change it, and if I'm not careful.....LOL

Jill, sorry, no harm meant. And sorry also, but it doens't look like we'll be coming out. I hate doing that. I just got an e-mail on a boat deal I can't pass up and it's 18 hours away in TN. I only have enough time to go down there and get it and be back for Tuesday for work. I will be out with the family this year I promise and with NO pink panties! LOL But you should STILL let Marke fish all 3 days. LOL

Latest posts

Back