Wookiee is still a bit confused

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Shenton

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any info on the aproximate range or MPG of a boat based on motor and boat size. I understand that this is very subjective. I am also confused about the gunnel height. It seems to me that a model such as the Tournament V-18 has good qualities for both but bass boats have very short gunnels. Furthermore, I am concerned whether the D-V hull will draw too much water for bassing and shallow sound fishing. I have had some experience when I was younger. I grew up on the bay, just never on my "own" boat. I am looking for a boat with a solid 25 - 30 mile range, that I can fly fish for bass, pike, sea trout, stripers, blues etc. And if possible, troll the bay, sound, and perhaps the beaches (on a REAL calm day). All in a package under 2000 lbs. Am I crazy?

EASILY a 30 mile range!

I've fished from MOFish's TV-18 on a small lake and it was fine in shallow water.

I used my old Nitro 180 in the Gulf of Mexico on calm days and didn't have a problem. Marke and Andy Z use their TV-18's in the Great Lakes.

The TV-18 will easily meet your needs in the bay and along the shores - as long as you use common sense when you go out there.

I assure you, you will be happy!

me!

Not to PO the TV18 guys but, really it's not a "true" Deep V...even though it sells under a DV. It's got a shorter depth than say a Targa 18 but, flattens out in the back. Deep V's don't that much...

TEE

Wookie:

Here's the formula for calculating MPG and range for a boat with a carburated, 2-stroke motor:

Maximum rated horsepower of the outboard (HP)

Times (x)

Ten percent (.10)

equals rate of fuel consumption in gallons per hour(GPH)

So, my boat's 150 h.p. carbed outboard will burn 15 gallons per hour (150 x .10 = 15) at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

Then, using my boat's theoretical maximum speed at WOT (52 mph, GPS'sd) I can calculate MPG.

I'll burn 15 gallons in one hour and I'll go 52 miles. 52 divided by 15 equals 3.46 miles per gallon (woo-hoo, OPEC and my local BP-Amoco just LOVE me!).

My boat carries 41 gallons of fuel in its tank. So, if I run the whole tank dry at WOT, I have a theoretical range of 142 miles. But, for planning purposes, I hold ten-percent of my fuel in reserve for emergencies, so my practical range is 127.93 miles. That leaves me enough fuel to get to shore if I'm fighting a headwind or if I have to stop to rescue a stranded jet-skier (but only if she's wearing a bikini).

By the way, I'll be fly-fishing out of my boat this weekend. We use my TV-18 for bass, crappie and trout fishing and I may even try muskie fishing this year.

The TV's hull from the keel weld to the turn of the bilge is exactly the same as a Targa's. The height of the side walls is shorter on the TV-18, so the Targa's bow is partially the two side walls welded together. I do consider it a true deep-V because it doesn't flatten out at all in back, unlike a "pad" bass boat or a Pro-Team style Mod-v.

It will run in water as shallow as two feet with the skeg just brushing the bottom. If it's off plane, I can trim the outboard up so that the skeg is above the keel and then motor through water that is one or two feet deep (depending on how much gear and fuel is onboard and what/how much I've eaten in the last six months.) If I pull the trolling motor up so that ITS skeg is above the keel, you can go into whatever depth is sufficient to float the boat.

It's a great all-purpose fishing machine with a smooth ride in rough water without the weight of a fiberglass hull. And that's maxxed out at 150 h.p. I'd recommend that you consider a 115 on the TV-18, which will get you better fuel economy and package weight without sacrificing a lot of speed and performance. If you're going to use it in salt water, add extra annodes, flush the motor and wash the hull down thoroughly EVERY TIME you take the boat out.

Mo nailed it. using that formula you can get pretty close to what it can do for range.

Mo, your boat is worse on gs then my 882 is with the same motor. i put a fuel flow meter on mine once to see ehat it was really pulling and i was pulling 16.5gph at wide open. i can do about 63mph so i get about 3.8mpg. im surprised your lighter rig does worse on gas.

Not a pad hull like your 882, Jim, so the drag is greater. I'm also turning an aluminum prop, which slips more than a stainless steel wheel. Supposedly, if I ran a 21 or 23-inch Tempest plus, I'd reach a higher speed (57 theoretical) and I'd be in the 3.8 mpg range.

Wookie, I'll second all MOFish says. I have the TV-18 with 115 and its a great package. Smooth, dry ride, plenty stable, planes quick, descent speed, and no problems fishing the shallows. Granted it will draw more water than a flatbottom. In windy conditions I wish I had upgraded to a more powerful trolling motor. Standard TM is 52lbs.

Back