wiring

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Spencer2

Reaction score
Need to run 6 gauge wire to my new 24 volt trolling motor on my pt175, does any body know how to get the wire from the batteries to the motor, I tried and electricians snake an that didn't work ! thanks Mark

You can't fish it like you're wireing a house. It run a pretty twisty course through the aluminum bulk heads that won't let it slide. I had to pull back the port side panel and rod locker and cut out some of the foam under the rear storage box. Not a cake walk but doable.

Harpo

Mark, I just done my 2000 PT185. I took the panel at the throtle loose and removed the drivers seat, fished a tape from the panel to the front between the rod locker and the hull then from the panel to the battery compartment. Bypassed the CB's at the panel and installed a 50 amp manual reset CB at the battery. Took a couple of hours to do. You can't, or at least I couldn't, use the old 8ga wire as a a pull string. Just left it in place. Hope this helps.

Not sure if the 2004 is the same, but I just did that by removing the front deck and side throttle panel. Fed cables down under drivers seat were there was a cutout in the aluminum. Fished down under the livewell below the stringers and then up into the rear battery compartment. I actually continued into the storage box behind the passenger seat but up to that point is should be the same. The only tight spot is passing the steering and throttle cables, so be careful.

I would not recommend fishing steel on the drivers side blind because there are a few connections behind the panel that could come loose. I went this route rather than the left side because the factory wires went that way so the cutouts were there already. I added liquidtight conduit for below the stringers but good marine grade wire shouldn't need that.

Again, different years may be different so just follow the factory. They tend to take the best route to save time.

Latest posts

Back