Wiring Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Herren

Reaction score

I have a 1997 NITRO 700LX. I have only owned this boat a few weeks. Looks very good. First mistake, I bought the boat and only checked the motor out. Took the sellers word it was ready to go fishing. He had let the boat set outside for nearly a year. Paint was a little dull but polished out like new. Problem is the wiring is a mess. I can wires have been spliced. The + and

With that much not working.......I would check the negative connections first since it is common to everything. Start at the battery and work from there.

Good luck.

Ditto Lamar. I can't count how many times I've seen it and said it, the original pos./neg. (your main power supply) are too light from the get-go. They lose continuity with age and use. Before I do anything on a refurb., I replace those leads to the main fuse panel with 10 gauge bonded (12 at a minimum on lighter draw units). That alone has cured many boat woes before checking a switch, pump, fuse, etc.... Good luck! ;)

MESSAGE FOR "DAN J" ON REPLY DATED 5/7/2010. YOU ADVOCATED REPLACING MAIN POWER SUPPLY WIRING WITH 10 GAUGE "BONDED". I UNDERSTAND WHAT 10 GAUGE WIRE IS BUT WHAT DOES THE SPECIFICATION "BONDED" MEAN?

Brantley - Bonded wire is a two wire run bonded together (pos./neg. - red & black) that makes it easier to snake from console to battery. (or vice versa) Think of it as speaker wire on steroids. :D Just an easy (read: lazy :lol: ) way for me to get two new beefier leads from front to back at one time. Most dealers/marinas/ big box outdoor stores will have it in various gauges usually sold by the foot. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back