Wiring Gremlins

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
I have a 95 170TF with a Mercury 75 on it. I have owned if for 7 years and never had any type of starting/electrical issues. Last week on the lake, I turned the key and got the warning buzzer that comes on for 1 - 2 seconds and then goes off like normal, then turned the key to start the engine and nothing, not even a click from the solenoid and the bendix never kicks up into the flywheel. The bendix is not stuck as I could spin it easily with my hand. I pulled the cowling and wiggled some wires (technical move) and it started. Went on my way and then sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. I got home and could not replicate the problem, of course, and it started at least a dozen times with no problem. I checked every wire connection that I could see. Everything was tight, no corrosion, no worn spots in the insulation............and no idea what caused the problem. Is there a "brain box" or something that may be on it's way out? I don't want to hit the lake and get the same problem, but I don't want to pay the marina $100.00 for them to tell me they couldn't find a thing wrong with it since it always starts up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, fished Clark's Hill last week and slayed the stripers and hybrids on a Pencil Popper. Also caught good numbers of Largemouths on flukes, swimbaits, a c-rig trick worms.

I have the same boat, "94" vintage. I had the same problem last week. I was showing 13 volts at the starting solenoid but, it wouldn't start. All I got was a buzz from the trim solenoids when I tried to raise it up or down. Called the local marina and they suggested another battery. Pulled it out of the garage and jumped it with my truck, fired right up. I am now the proud owner of a new Delco Voyager Marine battery. Even though it showed 13 volts, it wouldn't carry a load due to a dead cell. Hope this helps some.

You may want to also make sure the connections to the battery are good. I had that happened to me and when I tightned down the wing nuts a little bit, it fired right up. I have a 94 tf-190 so your problem sounds exactly like mine.

Latest posts

Back