Winterizing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Flattem

Reaction score
It is time, here in the northland, to winterize my 16' SC Tracker (60 Merc). I have found, I think, all the proper info regarding the motor, however, the boat itself:

Livewells: dry and prop cover open. Anything else? anything to do with the pump?

Interior: I plan to put anti-rat stuff and damp rid on floor. Should the rod/storage locker lids be propped open for circulation.

Cover: I have the cover set so that there will be no pooling of water/snow, however, at the stern end, the cover is open. Should I slip a tarp under the boat cover at that point>

Thanks for all assistance.

For the livewells i put a little pink rv antifreeze in the drain to keep any water that may be trapped in there from freezing. if you can put the system on recirc, pout some antifreeze in there and run the pump so it pumps thru the system. that way everything in there gets some of the antifreeze.

Another suggestion i have is get the boat shrinkwrapped. If your leaving it outside its worth every penny. When i used to leave my boat with its cover on and then throw a trap over it it would get wet every year no matter how much damp rid i put in it. when i say wet i mean i had standing water in the battery trays and bilge area that would freeze. with the shrinkwrap my boat comes out as dry as it was in the fall. I also take a box of moth balls, cut the top off and put it inside where the shrinkwrap has its venting, any animals that may want to crawl by there wont because of the smell.

If you keep your boat in the garage, do you have to winterize it? I never did on my old boats but I want to treat this one right.

Regardless of storing inside or outside, one thing that I always do is put 3 boxes of moth balls in various areas of the boat. This will prevent mice or other damaging pests from setting up home. Just cut one of the sides of the box, flip it up as a lid and place one in the rod locker, one in the bilge area and one in the center of the boat. I learned my lesson the hard way when mice chewed up the foam and it plugged up all my pumps.

Latest posts

Back