Winnipesaukee/Winnisquam...??...Heading there this week!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
A last minute opportunity to go to Winnipesaukee/Winnisquam has come my way, so I'm

heading up there to fish this Wed eve to Sat noon. Staying near Gilford/Weirs Beach.

Hopefully its not to early in the season??? Jim B., did you make it out this weekend?

Has anyone else tried this area yet?

Any info about fishing this area this time of year would help as I've never been there before. I have an aquaintance there who has been trolling for salmon in Winni and has been doing really well this past week, but I am going to do some smallie & largemouth fishing.

Thanks..Mike L.

[email protected]

Mike L - I am fishing in NY and am waiting to hear how it is as well and will be making my way up there to fish on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday if the smallmouth are spawning. Catching some pretty decent largemouth in pads right now and will be trying to catch the last striper run in this area on the Hudson River tomorrow.

As far as Lake Winnisquam, I think Jim B is going to be there on Wednesday. I now go every year at this time since he first took me there a few years ago.

This time of year is like surf and turf on Winnisquam in that there is great smallmouth and largemouth fishing to be found on the lake. Last year, the average smallie was about 2 lbs and the largemouth (not on beds) was about 2 1/2 lbs.

What does your boat look like? If I go, I will be on the lookout. My boat is a 750DC Nitro and you can see a picture of it in my library.

Hope to see you, Jim B and few others out there on Wednesday. Bill, the MadKayaker

I was up there yeasterday and the smallie fishing wasant "on" yet... There were a few on beds but they were very spooky. the water is still coewhat cold at ~53 and in some places a little higher. There wasnt much sun so we didnt see many pull up and cruise the flats either. A couple of good sunny days and it should be really on.

I was at a friends on Winnisquam with the family this weekend. No fising this weekend though since we were on my friends deck boat. I saw some smallie beds but no fish on them. I was hoping that they aren't totally on yet since the water was colder than the last couple of years at this time. I didn't have a temperature read so wasnt sure if they were done or not. I'm glad to hear Jim's report and based on the temperature I would have to agree that they are not locked on yet.

I'm planning on being up there this Fri and an outside chance that I might go Wed.

Bill , I'll be getting there around noon on Wed, so after I get settled in maybe

I'll start at Winnisquam then for the late afternoon & evening fishing. I'm a 'tin' man with a PC175, and silver Dodge Ram.

Hope to see you and some of the others there!

hey all,

i was on Winnisquam on Saturday, found temps from 52f to 60f by the end of the day. found a few bedding smallies. managed a realy nice 2.5/3lbr on a spider jig.

found most of the fish were not agresive at all. the one i caught, i really had to work to get it to bite.

found a good number of beds on the flat just outside of the river off of bay rd.

also worked the shore line to the left if you were heading into main river chanel over by Martels.

that was pretty much all i saw. spent quite a bit of time cruising the lake around with the family. we made our way to the end of the lake past the no wake area. not a bed or cruising bass in site.

a couple of warm days will really turn the bite on.

Bill/jim,

keep me posted if you are planning a day this week, i may be able to pull wednesday after all. i will deffinatly be fishing this Friday.

GregD

Greg,

Im surprised it didnt see you out there on Sat, were you in your boat? I was there all day and i launched at what used to be Martells. I was one of the first in and the last one out at the end of the day. After pretty much striking out on the smallies(we did catch a few) i went LM fishing and did pretty good. As far as i know ill be there on Wed.

From what you guys are posting, I may stay in NY one extra day and try to get out to Winnisquam on Friday if the Wednesday report looks promising.

In terms of where I am fishing right now, I fished a few inlet channels and only managed to catch one largemouth and four smallmouth but no stripers. They were really catching them on cut herring - some over 35lbs.

I am not the most experienced boater but on my way back the water was the roughest I have been on so far in my boat - there were some pretty big waves blowing straight down the middle of the Hudson River on my way back to the launch (10 mile run). :wacko:

My boat is completely soaked-in as some of the waves went over the bow, over the cockpit and past the stern! I felt like I was boogie-boarding in the ocean. Thank goodness they weren't so rough that I felt I was out of control running the boat although there were a few times I felt like I was on one of those king crab boats - if you know what I mean.

Anyway, hope to hear a report for Wednesday and will now look to go out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Bill, the Madkayaker

Bill,

maybe you need e new nickname, How bout "CrabMan" thats what we call those nuts catching king crab in Alaska. i will be out Friday for sure, i may go back to Winnisquam if the weather stays warm this week.

Jim,

i was out in my boat, i only saw a couple of guys out there. a few Tritons and a new Z21 ranger.like i said, i was with my family, so i didn't really get to fish to hard. but i did manage to find a few promising areas for this coming week.

let me know if the fishing turns on Wednesday.

GregD

Ahhhhhh, so you got out in the "Big Stuff":lol:. Just remember it makes you a better Captain in the future to run the nasty stuff and learn your boat and what it will (and won't) do. I'tll also lift your confidence level.

TOXIC

I'll still be there Wednesday afternoon, but I won't have internet access till I get back home on Sunday. Bill, Greg,Jim, Paul or anyone coming up who wants a report e-mail me today and we can exchange cell numbers as I'd be happy to share info with you!

Mike

Jim,

my ,mistake. i was there on Sunday. that would explain why we didn't see each other out there.

GregD

"Ahhhhhh, so you got out in the "Big Stuff". Just remember it makes you a better Captain in the future to run the nasty stuff and learn your boat and what it will (and won't) do. I'tll also lift your confidence level."

Toxic - thanks for the input - I'd add that I wasn't sure if my brother peed in his pants or if they were wet from the waves. Hmmm, he wouldn't go out with me one last time before the weekend was over! I think he will stick with fishing trout streams, small lakes and reservoirs in the future or anything else when there are no big winds.

Lake Winnisquam guys - I just saw the weather report - looks like rain on Friday? GregD, Paul - are you going to go even if it rains on Friday? JimB and Mike - any other day besides Wednesday this week?

Bill, the Madkayaker

Actually small change in plans for me. I wont be there tomorrow but i will be there on thursday.

Sig (Bill),

i will be there on Friday, i just confirmed with the guy i am taking out. i also checked the weather for rest of the week. it looks good thru Friday. Saturday not so sure.

i hope the water temp is prime by then, i got a report from Lake Sunappee. the fishing was slow almost dead on Sat/Sun. monday turned on and a lot of fish moved into the shallows. Looks like we may be in for a good day Friday.

Here is a report from the Weather under Ground For laconia.

Laconia, NH

Thursday Night

Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph in the evening...becoming light and variable.

Friday

Sunny in the morning...then becoming partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

Latest posts

Back