Will This Work ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Luckie

Reaction score
I wanted to know if this would work. I got a new Humminbird 565 fishfinder to mount in the front of my PT 185. It looks like it is going to be a challenge to run the power wires to my fuse box unless I take the whole boat apart. So I was thinking, I could just tap in to the hot wire running to the tilt/trim switch located about 6" from where I wanted to mount it. The question is can I ground it to some of the metal deck support in the area?? Do you think I would need to put in an inline fuse?

If this would work, it will save a lot of headache. I have to have it ready for the 12th of MAR. Going to Reelfoot lake in TN.

SAM Luckie

Sam,I think tapping into the trim switch would be better than the trolling motor power wire as some say because the trolling motor will cause interference with your fish finder.

I just read somewhere,but cannot remember where,not to ground to the boat.The current flow will cause the metal to corrode and pit.Maybe somebody else can explain it.

YES,use a fuse between the F/F and whatever power source you are using.It's cheaper than a burned up F/F.

Steve

Sam - Go to the Resources - Grab Bag section of this site (on the left menu). Look under "Electronics" you'll see Mark Hofmans and Mine (Michael Trepper). Mark choose to run his power all the way back to the battery, I choose to tap into the existing power up front. If your 185 is I think newer then 2002 chances are there are already EXTRA power (Red + and Black -) up front, Tracker started doing this since everyone wanted a bow mounted fish finder (What planning!!!). So take the bow panel off and look around for the extra wires. If they are not there, then look at the wiring diagram in my "Bow Mounted Eagle" instructions and off you go.

Trep

Geeze Steve same exact time!!! LOL

It probably took me longet to type that than it will take him to install his F/F.LOL

ON the pro team there should be two wires already there for powering the finder. just look for two empty crimp connectors and those will be the ones. My buddy's 99 had them so im sure the newer ones do as well.

Thank you TREP!!! I found a black and a purple wire w/ crimp connectors in a black flex conduit just laying there. I am assuming the black is ground and purple would be positive. I do have a volt meter to make sure. By the way it is a 2003 Silver Anniversary Edition PT 185.

SAM

Firescooby - Where have you been dude!!! My 2000 didn't either, I think 2002 or so they started it.

Trep

I have two that led to a "accessory" plug.Must be for a F/F.It's not near big enough wire for a trolling motor.

Latest posts

Back