Which Unit Lowrance or Hummingbird?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Ok guys I know this is opening a can of worms but I need some advice. I want to upgrade to a nice unit on my 170tf. I have no loyalty to either brand, I have never owned a unit other than the $100 versions which are marginal at best. I have looked at some of the lowrance and hummingbirds in the $500-$700 dollar range, but there are so many to choose from I need some input from those who own them already. I really like the price on the new hummingbird 300 series, they are the DI version and do not have GPS. I also looked at the Lowrance elite 5x, same as Hummingbird best I can tell. Really would like to spend no more than $500, what do you guy think? Where would you mount this unit, at the console or on the trolling motor? Thanks for the help.

There are some real good rebates on the Lowrance HDS units now.

Rebates and sales. Since the new Lowrance HDS2 is coming out, stores like Cabelas are discounting their original HDS units. I saw an ad for them the other day. Just checked their website here:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-HDS-5-X-Sonar/737331.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlowrance%2Bhds%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lowrance+hds&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

You can get an HDS-5x for $550, free shipping, and there is a $50 mail in rebate.

Or even better, you can get the HDS-5 combo unit with 83/200 transducer on sale for $600, with a $100 rebate, free shipping. So you can get the HDS-5 combo (basemap) for the same price as the HDS-5x if you factor in all the rebates, etc...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance174-HDS-5-Combo-2010/701757.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlowrance%2Bhds%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lowrance+hds&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Either way, you are right at your $500 limit, but will have to add a bit for tax. Not a bad deal at all. If I were you, that HDS-5 basemap with 83/200 transducer would be my choice.

All the best,

Glenn

Despite having been a diehard Lowrance man for years, I have recently switched to Humminbirds myself. As a tourney angler, I can't get too caught up in initial cost if the unit craps out when I need it most on tourney day. That being said, my last 5-6 Lowrance units have ALL fogged up on me and I have been having repeated ducer issues with my front unit.

I have also heard many horror stories about HDS units just randomly crappin out. It happened in our NYTBF STQT tourney. Perfect conditions and out director/VP's new HDS10 (and he babies everything) just died out of the blue. Plus, as they have grown, Lowrance customer service has gone south quickly. Anyone here that knows me, knows how I get about poor customer service and blowing off customers! I am holding out hope that they come back around, but in the mean time, I am running a 798 SI HD at my console and a 598 DI HD on the bow. I would like an 898 at the console but can't swing it yet. I know of at least 2 other guys on our state team that went to 'birds this year from Lowrance as well.

That's just my .02, take it for what you will.

For what its worth Rob's experience sounds eerily similar to mine. I switched two years ago and i am so glad i did.

Me three. I'm dedicated to HB not only because of their rock solid units, but the incredible customer service that has shown itself several times over to me personally. I will always go back to the company that stands behind their product 100%. In fact, I plan to pick up an HB DI soon (unless Santa beats me to it!). I have not had the same experience with Lowrance - instead of help, I got excuses and the "out-of-warranty" brush off.

HUMMINBIRD, The Lowrance requires you to purchase a LSS-1 box thats a extra 599(IN ORDER FOR THE SI AND DI TO WORK). The bird has everything built in. They are about the same money either way but in my opinion the bird is gonna be a Cleaner easier install than the lowrance that requires you to mount the extra LSS-1 Box. I just got a 998c si Humminbird and Im really impressed. :D:D:D:D

The quality of design and workmanship has improved on the HBird units over the past 10+ years. They really changed their approach. Additionally, as mentioned - the Customer Service they have both officially and un-officially (HBird Greg in point) are second to none.

And if for no other reason, some guy from MI who does a little bass fishing for a living moved to HBird (from Lowrance). Seems that his opinion might mean something as he does NOTHING for simply the $$$.

Tex

Lowrance. Hands down the best sonar/GPS combo you can have. FWIW I have been using them for over 20 years and have not had an issue with any unit on my boat.

Ask Neeley about Humminbird....I dare you.

I have been using Lowrance since my first green box. I also have used Bottom Line and a few Hummingbirds, but my present set-up with HDS units and structure scan is the envy of anyone who has fished out of my boat.

Thanks for all the input guys. Seems that the "birds" are a popular option. Time to do some serious research into all the features and get to purchasing and installing one. Merry Christmas to all. :D

I just got a good deal on a NEW Humminbird 798CI HD SI Combo on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260916351974?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Other are listed. Good time of the year to by one, i only had 2 other people bidding against me.

It delivered yesterday, new in the box.

I have one word for you ... Humminbird_Greg ... ;). that's all you need to decide this purchase choice. And for the other not so tough choice in your fishing life ... that word is Ford.

Ranger

Mercury

Minn Kota

Humminbird

Ford

Pline

Marty sounds like a man after my own heart....small as it is! Pig valve and all;)

Advice taken on Hummingbird Greg. I will say that I am and have been a Ford man for 20 years, with that said I'm just about ready to change loyalty. I had a new 2009 f150 supercrew 4x4 it was a pain! (transmission trouble, chrome coming off, leaked like crazy in drivers floorboard when it rained, back glass leaked and on and on...) Decided I just got a lemon so traded for a 2011 f150 in May with same package. It has 8000 miles to date and has a noise in the engine and the tranny is acting up too :angry: Just about ready to move on the GMC or Nissan or something that is dependable!

Latest posts

Back