What's the difference

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
I can't wait for my boat to sell! I'm getting itchy to move to the "dark side". Myabe itchy from the fiberglass LOL.

Anyway, I seen a 93 Ranger with a 2002 Mercury 150 XR6.

What is the difference between a Optimax and a XR6?

Here's a pix (Careful it's shiny)

Oh and another ??. Could it be really that dark on the "dark side" with all them sparkles?

Chris
77047036_1.jpg

CJL

The big difference between the opti and the xr6 is in the fuel system. The opti is a direct injection system where the xr6 has old style carbs. Both are good motors. Dont be afraid of the carbs on the xr6. Those motors are proven and are almost bulletproof. Its not often you hear of an xr6 that blew up. People will tell you that the carp motors wont start, dont listen to them. They start just fine if you follow the correct procedure.

I have a 150 xr6 on my boat and it has been solid. It runs awesome and performs awesome day in and day out.

BTW that ranger looks nice. And the glass side is the place to be :)

Jim,

What kind of speed do you think I could get out of that old Ranger?

I also seen a 1999 R81 with a 175 Rude on it, I would imagine the R81 would be quicker, the dealer told me it's the only Rnager he ever had chine walk on him? Because of the high speed with the 175.

How is the size/comfort in a R81?

BTW, thanks for the response

I am looking at a new glass ride also and the price difference is about 3K XR6 to Opti in the 150 size. One other difference is on the Opti you get 3 years vs 1 year on the warranty.

That is a nice looking Ranger. Well kept. Check out the wiring (console, bilge area and motor). If the wiring still looks good, chances are that it's been well taken care of. I just use it as a tell-tale sign.

I'm not a good source on speed estimates, but I suspect high 50's to low 60's, depending upon how it is propped.

Tex

My only question on buying a used Ranger would be how long do you plan to keep it? because of their higher priced initial cost and they do depreciate less then most boats, is could you get yourself a better shape, larger, faster boat in Nitro, Skeeter, or other brand for same price or less?

Just a thought.

XR6 Will push that boat high fifties on radar/gps.

That is one NICE looking boat.

Not gonna buy it myself, but curious...what is the asking price?

Firescooby,

It's 11k, but won't be mine if I can't sell my Tracker. Worst case scenario would be to trade it in, but would take a huge hit on my Tracker.

11k is high for a 93 Ranger, but it has a 2002 MercuryXR6.

This is the R81 I have been looking at. I can probably trade on this one to. It has a Johnson 175 FICT on it
P9150005.jpg

CJL

what year is that ficht motor? in 98 and 99 they had some serious problems with blowing powerheads. It was quite a common thing, i know a guy that loat 5 in one season on his 99. If its one of those years id steer clear if it, even with all the upgrades they did to these to fix it they still have problems.

Jim, it's a 99 and again that's why I like this board so much. Thanks for the heads up. The dealer has the clock @ 90 hours on the OB. It is a pro-staff boat for the dealer. If it comes to that I will ask those questions, unless I should steer clear of it all the way?

Love the colors on that boat.

If it were me id steer clear if it all together. If it had a carb johnson faststrike or rude intruder id be all over it but those early ficht motors are too much risk. Those early motors were pretty bad with all the powerhead meltdowns and various fixes that didnt work, it was a very common problem and was a big factor in omc's bankrupcy/buyout. The carb models from that era were fine, i had a 98 rude and it always ran well. Im glad it wasnt a ficht for sure.

The new Bombardier built fichts are fine its just the old ones that had gremlins. The guy in my club that had one didnt call his a ficht after all the blown heads he used a off color slang word that rhymes with ficht.

Mini, will do. I will email from home this PM.

JimB, that sucks, cause that was one of my final choices.

Chris - Can't you SEE what this is all about?? come on!! It's the FORCE!! All these "issues" with those 'glass' boats and motors!! Stay Tin you'll always WIN!

Young Jedi, susceptible to the Dark Side negative thoughts make you. Use the Force for good not evil!!!

Trep

Like Lord Helmet said in Spaceballs

"Evil will always trimuph because good is dumb."

Jim and Chris - LOVE Mel Brooks!!!!

Excuse me while I WHIP this out!!!

Latest posts

Back