What would you choose? The 896 or the Avalanche?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason _G

Reaction score
Well I have the surveyor coming tommorrow to look at the squished pro team. Hopefully I can get in a new boat before the season ends.

If all goes well with my credit I will have the choice of either a 896 or an Avalanche. Which would you choose and why? The 896 is not that much more then the Avalanche with the 150hp on it. And the 896 comes with a 200hp. While the Avalanche has a 96 inch beam and the 896 has a 92 inch beam.

I am planning to use which ever boat I get in local and some bfl tourneys.

One major concern with the purchase of a new boat is depreciation of its value. Which do you think will hold it value more and longer? I would think the avalanche and thats why I am starting to lean towards it.

Avalanche.....for the same reasons you mentioned!

T

Avalanche...all the way.

I have several in stock for immediate delivery, and give special discounts to Nitro Board members...

Jason,

Listen to Ken!

I know people who have driven in from 800 miles out to do business with him!

T

by no means am I an expert but my opinion is the 896 as I am partial to a glass boat. For the fishin I do in close quarters I would prefer the 92" beam as that seems about right as I do a lot of flippin and pitchin in heavy cover. The 896 is a well proven design and is known for handling rough water. Pricing wise, it almost seems that a lot of the difference in price is in the motor. I don't think you could go wrong with either. The avalanche looks very impressive also and is probably lighter and might tow easier. I would suggest taking a ride in each and then make up your mind. Most of all, take your time, get to know each one and get the one you really want - that way you will be happy with your decision. I think Rob fished Buzz's 896 in an everstart tourney recently in some rough conditions. May want to see what they think regarding the 896. As far as resale, I do not know if either would fare any better than the other - in other words I do not know which would hold its initial value better. The 896 is a well known boat.

Just think. When you figure out which boat, you are going to have to figure which color, options, etc...

sounds like fun to me. Good luck with your decision and good fishin to ya.

james d.

Jason...

I re-read your post and realized you were asking about the 896...I thought you were considering the 882, which is what most people compare to the Avalanche.

Now the choice is tougher...the 896 is 19'-6" long, and is one of the fastest hulls Nitro has ever made. It does have a nice rough water ride, but so does the Avalanche with it's wider beam and hull design.

One of the members here is a State Team Pro...he was at our Rally this year, and has driven his Avalanche in some rough conditions...I'm sure he'll chime in here too.

I would still have to lean towards the Avalanche...when you get closer to making a decision, call me and we can discuss it.

Pick whichever YOU like best!

But buy from Ken!

He gives a case of SlimJims with every purchase!

Scott,

The case of Slim Jims promotion is "off"...All Ken has left is the "gas" deal...from the Slim Jims...

An 896 w/ a 175efi and an Avalanche w/ a 175 efi aren't any $$$ apart. I believe that resale on the 896 is very good. There is no known resale on the Avalanche...but the guesses are also good. They will both fish about equal. So, the choice is probably left to "glitter glass" vs Smooth Schlitz Cans.... I'd choose the Avalanche...cuz I've always fished aluminum and I'll be rottin' in my dirt nap before there are any stress cracks in the gel coat of the Avalanche! Nobody here is gonna say "mistake" at either choice...

AVALANCHE ALL THE WAY:

Of course that may be because that's what I've been fishing out off this season. My personnal preference if I was to buy a new boat tomorrow it would be another Avalanche. I love fishing out of it. Plenty of room, incredible amount of storage space and the hole shot and handling are great. I just fished a two day local club tournament in Canada and took first place both days. From the responses I've been getting from my draw partners there's not a one who didn't like the boat or the way it handle. Now that my motor, XR6 150 is broke in the boats been running consistantly 60 mph gps with a full load partner, livewells full, and a tank full of gas. The ruff water, ie 3-6 foot waves, the boat handles extremely well. The key being you can jump on plane almost instantly and throttle back to less than 20 mph and still stay on plane. The higher sides on the boat make for an excellent platform for pitching and skipping under docks. The boat allows you to get into really shallow water where glass boats dare not go. The boats easy to clean, and the scratches, which you will get whether you want them or not, are easy to rub out. Overall if I had to buy another boat it would be another Avalanche. Problems noted with my Avalanche, the handle for the passenger is to far forward, trolling motor quit on me, (Note: not a tracker problem a motorguide problem with quality control)had a problem with left livewell araetor, (problem turned out to be a pinched wire under the live well when live wells were full of water: solution moved wires to side of live well.) Other than that the boat has been great. Be honest with yourself though and buy what fits your needs and is within a budget you can afford. Good Fishing Jim Moore

you had a tree crush your boat and now you want an avalanche?? just teasin. had my 17 footer in some 4 1/2 foot waves at Lake Eufaula (Oklahoma) and I was fearful. But she brought me home safe (I'm almost ready for the 5 footers now). If the avalanche can take them 6 footers, that is one awesome boat. Sounds like Ken is the man that can give you a good deal and good advice. Hey Ken, move to the sooner state and open up the new BPS in OKC in 2003.

Thanks guys! The Avalanche is sounding more and more sweeter.

If I get free SlimJims, then I'm all yours Ken! ;)

Bassinfool... Thank you for the great reply. It sounds like the Avalanche is one hell of a boat. One plus is the finacee like it as well!

Lets just keep our fingers crossed that the adjuster does right by me and my credit score goes up. That would be the only thing that holds me back.

I would take the 896. Have you ridden in either boat?

I have not ridden in the avalanche. I have a 98 896 summit edt. I can tell you it is a fast boat with a 200 efi, It is stable to fish from takes rough water ok if trimed right.

the boat is very easy to drive with very little chine walk.

Brian Allen

Jason,

At this years rally I had to opportunity to fish from and drive the 901, 896 and the Avalanche. As far as driving, I have NEVER been in a boat with a hole-shot like the Avalanche. The Fuel tank is moved up under the seats. This shifts the weight more forward and keeps the nose down. The rod lockers and storage comparments are huge and even the single console model has a passenger side glove box. Large decks and plenty of leg room under the console. I am also surprised that no one has mentioned NO STRESS CRACKS!!! NO RIVETS and NO WELDS except on the transom, and those welds were beefy. It really brings together the best of both worlds. Lightweight and strenght of Aluminum with fit, finish and fishability of glass. AWESOME, AWESOME boat.

I currently have the TV-18 and I know what I'm upgrading too.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Marke

Jason -

Not to take anything away from Ken - but I notice that you're in Chester, NY.....

Another member of our board who is very helpful to all of us is Bob Bourget at Marine USA in Worcester, Massachusetts. (I know I spelled that wroong but I'm too lazy to look it up!) If Ken is too far away from you, please give Bob a call!

Thanks!

me!

Jason,...I'll throw in my .02 for what it's worth. I owned an 896 and I drove "Bassin Fool's" Avalanche in NY at this years rally. Here's my take on both boats. First, ask yourself and be VERY honest,..."what kind of water do i Fish,..is it shallow and full of obstructions??..does it get rough( I'm talkin' 3-5ftrs,....not ripples up to 2ftr's)

and how long do you really plan on owning this boat"....

The advantages of an 896 is the fact that it's a tried and proven hull design that is very fast and easy to drive. A lot of people still like 'glass over aluminum, but when they think "aluminum" they think of a TX or TV series boat,..NOT an Avalanche. That's a plus for the Avalanche...it looks like 'glass!! anyway,..the 896 is very fast, stable, it has awesome storage, and with a 200 HP engine as a standard option,....it's an excellent pkg for a bassboat. The biggest disadvantages with 'glass are the stress cracking issues and repair time required to fix those things. Insurance will be more with the 896 for that reason alone. Just something else to consider.

The Avalanche on the other hand is absolutely awesome boat!

Jordan Paullo (he's a Nitro NAT'L Team member) and I took Bassin' Fool's boat for a ride on Champlain. He and I were both amazed at the overall performance of this boat. The storage and layout of this boat is equally as impressive and with a 150HP motor,...it flat out flies!! It's lighter and rock solid,..and the 150 is a lot easier on fuel than a 200EFI or XR6 that comes with the 896!! Put a 150 Opti on that Avalanche and you'd have one awesome boat for long runs!! Anyway, Jordan and I put the Ave through high speed turns to see if the hull "slipped or skipped" in a tight turn and it stuck to the water like a jet ski!! it was unreal. As Marke mentioned,...the holeshot was very impressive,..the bow hardly rises at all and you will never lose your field of vision when you get up on plane,..the boat literally jumps out and levels off immediately. As far as repairs go,...a crack in aluminum can be welded or repaired literally in a day by an automotive body shop or a metal forming/repairing business. Down time for repairs is going to be minimal......'glass on the other hand takes days/week/months to get repaired depending on the shop and the extent of the damage. That Avalanche is NOT, going to develope the spider cracks in the clear coat that is always evident in 'glass boats,...nor will it develope the transom cracking that is the kiss of death to a 'glass boat in some cases. My only complaint about the Avalanche is the overall length.....bigger is better where i fish and the difference between a 19'6" boat (896) and the 18'2" Avalanche is significant. If you rarely see water that gets BIG,..and you spend most of your time in calm water,..then I'd go with the Avalanche in a heartbeat!! If Tracker ever builds the Ave in a 20-21FT model,....it will blow away the 'glass boat market in the Great Lakes region and it will be the ultimate boat up here,...I would LOVE that boat in a 20ft model!! They look like 'Glass,...they're bullet proof,..much easier to repair, lighter, and they perform like a dream.....it's really a nice boat!! As more and more are seen on the water and the word get's out,...they will be a highly regarded and popular boat.

In closing,...get with a dealer and ask them to let you drive both boats,...or at the very least, ask to drive an Avalanche...you will freak!! LOL...I would lean that way myself, just based on past and current experinces with 'glass boats....granted, they're pretty and sparkly and everyone prefers 'glass over aluminum when it comes to bassboats,....but the Avalanche is the way of the future and you can have it NOW!!..Put a 150 Opti on that bad boy and you'll have a boat that will let you run and fish with the bigdogs and it'll cost you a lot LESS in the long run....that's the smart way to approach this sport!!HA!!

good luck man,....have

Mac is on with his view. I would take the 896 only because of the added length and the fact that I am on ugly water a lot. Plus it is faster. However, keep in mind the Avalanche has a lifetime warranty correct? That will help on resale a lot, and tin is much easier to repair. Marke is right, I also drove Jim's boat at the rally and the holeshot is blistering, and it corners like a dream without trimming in much at all. Mac told me in e-mail once that if Tracker makes an Avalanche in a 19 footer, they'd sell the snot out of it....I agree, I'd buy one in a heart beat. The 896 is FAST! And has a great rough water ride. But as everyone hear has said, which boat is right you? Only you can answer that. One things for sure, you won't be dissappointed with either, and you will be going a LOT faster than you used to.

Okay.... as this debate rages... I have a serious question... Would Tracker sell an Avalanche no motor or would they allow me to supply my own motor to the dealer to be rigged... I "must" run an OMC/Bombardier...

I know, if I buy new, I would prefer Yamaha! Still working on the sponsor deal for a V-max. I have run 3 this year and love them! Quiet, great on fuel, and FAST! Anyone know lb for lb on a 200 hp which is the lightest of the 3, OMC, Merc, or Yamaha? Oh btw Buzz, if you read this, the guy I guided this weekend had a '99 merc 200 efi and it whined at 3,000 rpms too. That's the third I've heard do it, so it must be normal for that motor. They like to run WOT!

Bassn'Fool, you've earned your keep as Nitro St. team member. Look what you've done. We're all hooked on that thing. Thank's again for the test drive. Now, if Tracker is listening......MAKE A 20 FOOTER!!!!

Marke

You got that right Rob! Thanks Mac for the detailed review of each boat. Since I have about 30 days (due to the credit unions) until I can make a move I might just have to go and test drive every boat nitro/tracker produces. This way I can be out on the water each weekend!

LOL

Now..... If only they'd start usin' metal flake paints on the Av..... Make mine Candy Apple Red!!

Latest posts

Back