What rods are you using for spinnerbaits?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete hanford2

Reaction score
I am currently using a 7 ft medium heavy rod with a Quantum Pt series baitcasting reel.What i am looking for is something that is not hard on my shoulders and wrists.I throw mainly a 3/8 to 1/2 oz spinnerbait for smallmouth.Any suggestions?

thanks

pete

Kistler makes the best fishing rods in the country. LTA - LIGHTER THAN AIR - HELIUM rods series. They are probably the lightest rods in the industry. Try one and you would probably agree they are the best rod you'll ever fished with. I would go w/ a 6 & 1/2 footer...but that's just me.

Falcon Lowrider 5-166 for 1/4-3/8 spinnerbaits

Falcon Lowrider 5-168 for 3/8-1/2 spinnerbaits

Falcon Lowrider 5-17 for special situations with spinnerbaits...

I always have a spinnerbait tied on and on deck. I use a Falcon Lowrider LFC 5-164 SBS Spinnerbait Special. I'm sure you can spend more money but I'm convenced that you can't buy a better rod made just for spinnerbaits. It is the most accurate and responsive rod I have ever used. It also does a good job working a buzzbait in tight quarters in the trees when my 7' St. Croix is too long. If you want to spend big bucks for a rod, spend it on a Loomis or Kistler worm or jig rod.

Harpo

I use three different rods, personally i like tehe rod to be somewhat limber for spinnerbaits. I find i loose far fewer fish with a limber rod

My main rod is a StCroix Proglass 7' med action

I also use a StCroix Premier 5'6" med action pistol grip and a 6'6" permier med action.

I like the little pistol grip when im near trees or docks etc, with it i can really put the bait anywhere i want. Its also a super spook rod.

I dont like glass for spinnerbaits... to me I can't get the action I need to set the hooks that spinnerbaits usually have...

I use the Loomis Spinnerbait rods... but you can probably use just about any rod that you would use for a similar sized Jig combo.

To be specific, I use the G.Loomis - SBR751C For spinnerbaits up to 1/2 ounce... it's a perfect match for mini-mes and other compact baits... I have another that I use for the bigger baits, but cannot remember the model number right now.

You don't need glass for spinners or even cranks for that matter. It's all in how light a tip you can get on graphite and length plays a big roll also.

Normally for close quarters I use a 5' 8" pistol grip and for longer casts and heavier baits, I'll switch to a 6 to 6 1/2 ft. Med to Med heavy rod.

Rod preference is what you'll have to decide according to the way you fish.

Of couse I'm short and a 7 ft. rod just doesn't do for me......

CastAway "Soft touch Series" spinnerbait special. Just pick your weight and length. As a rule, I like to buy rods specifically made for the job at hand. Not that you can't match the action with a generic but since I am sponsored by CastAway and like most of the priemum rodbuilders, they tend to make special series rods. I have a CastAway's crankbait, dropshot and flippin stick speciality rods as well as multi-purpose rods. Take a look at them. If you want to match the action in an all-purpose rod and do't want to pay a priemum price, CastAwy has a "pro" series that is $70 and a is a very good stick, I have 2 or 3.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back